PDA

View Full Version : JeffB Here

JeffB
04-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi all, Jeff here. I'm a learning guitarist, probably advanced beginner is how I would describe my level. Got the barres down, know some theory, can read music at a pretty good level. Been using L&M Guitar and quite happy with it and its community. I'm mid aged, just hit 40, married to my highschool sweetheart with two kids and a foster.

I traded a Taylor electric guitar a while back for an American 1976 P Bass. Don't really know why I did it other then I didn't care for the reliability issues with the Taylor and thought that P bass was mighty cool looking. Since then its juts been sitting on my stand, begging me to do something with it. I just stumbled upon this TMBG course and it seems very much like what the L&M folks are doing with guitar. This bass course has peaked my interest terribly and I'm afraid to loose what Ive learned with guitar if I decide to pursue learning bass. I think I would need to dedicate all my time this if I go that route. I love the fact that the bass I have has only four strings, not much chord work is needed and the bass clef seems soooooo much easier then the treble clef to learn. Thats the really scary part for me, loosing what I know of the treble clef. I don't want to loose that, I worked dang hard to get it down.

Well anyhow, that's me. I'm debating if I do this or not, either way nice to be a part of a community from the ground up.

bobrock
04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello Jeff, I was a guitar player for a long time, I started playing guitar in '93 and I have collected pretty good guitars...I own a Les Paul, Ibanez JEM, Parker FLY, Variax and a pair of acoustics...but 5 years ago I start to listen in better way music and I realise that too many songs I usually listen had great basslines but I always was listening to the guitar riff or solos...only had interest in speed and all that...so I decided to start with an old bass I had (a Fender Pbass) and since then I only play bass, start buying some good stuff...I bought an Ibanez 5 string, then a Bongo 6string and recently a Music Man 25th Anniversary BFR...
So welcome to this TMBG comunity and in bass comunity in general...you will not regret it.

JeffB
04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
You dont play guitar at all anymore? Not sure i could go that route, but then I dont really play all that well now :(

bobrock
04-16-2010, 06:00 AM
From time to time I play guitar...but I dont practice guitar as I practice bass, maybe I play once in a week or so...

Roy
04-16-2010, 08:42 AM
I started on both instruments about the same time, too. As a matter of fact, I taught bass to the bass player in my first band because I was the closest thing to a lead guitarist we had (I was 15 at the time).
The music theory material you learn in TMBG will actually work on both instruments. I would encourage you to not give up your guitars but keep working on both. I don't play guitar professionally any more (with a great player like Shane Roberts in my band and friends like Stan Lassiter, Todd Woolsey and Andy Gerome there's simply no need) but I pick up my wife Dee Dee's guitars from time to time to lay down a scratch guitar part in my home studio or write.
As to bass or treble clef, try to keep both up if you can. There's great music out there that's not available in bass clef that you can play.
Welcome to Thunder Row-enjoy!

JeffB
04-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the insight Roy, Ive just about made up my mind to pick up the course Ive got some buddies that want me to do this.

For Roy or anybody else, how active is the members forum? I find that an active user group that has a place to whine and cry ;) really helps get me motivated to practice.

Lane on Bass
04-19-2010, 08:05 AM
I came at it a little differently. I started on guitar at a very young age, with a kid's guitar. My fingers were to think, so I had trouble fretting chords on a small neck. I ended up putting it in a corner.

A few years later I discovered the bass and fell in love. It wasn't until many years later that I began to fool around on guitar, mostly for songwriting.

About a year ago, I began to get realyl serious on guitar and began to teach myself a mangled fingerstyle for both acoustic and electric. I've been shedding lead guitar for about a year now. I've used the guitar a lot for the acoustic version of Deeper Blues, dabbled in a bit of electric for a few shows.

In June, Deeper Blues is doing a local high-end show, and I'll be combining the acoustic and electric versions of the band for that one. I'll be playing bass, LEAD bass, acoustic guitar and electric guitar. Should be a ton of fun.