PDA

View Full Version : Bass Player: Working With Drum Machines and/or Drum Software To Improve Time Keeping.

swingin'_n_walkin'
12-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi, Folks,

I'm trying to improve my time-keeping and rhythm skills when playing bass.

Does anyone on this board have suggestions as to drum machines or drum software they could recommend? There seems to be bewildering array of choices out there.

Your recommendations and suggested (or actual) use would be greatly welcomed. Thank you.

Elmeaux
12-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I just use the drum machine that's embedded in my electronic keyboard. I've never bought a drum machine on its own.

I just keep the keyboard near my practice area and choose from the preset rhythms. It's enough for me - as far as time-keeping goes.

Greg Jewell
12-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Here's one...

http://virtualdrumming.com/drums/windows/virtual-drum-machine.html

thunderman
12-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Do you have a metronome? If so, that might be all you need. Granted, a drum machine is a lot more fun to play with, providing you can program it. They can range from fairly simple to extremely complex, therefore I suggest you read some reviews on musicgearreviews.com. I've taken the liberty of finding the correct page in case you want to check it out.

http://www.musicgearreview.com/google.html?cx=partner-pub-4756603312007865%3Ag4cbl85vd74&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=drum+machine&siteurl=www.musicgearreview.com%2F#1124

Have fun with it!
Thunderman

FeltFedora
12-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I have been trying to wrap my head (and fingers) around just a few simple syncopated bars that I am working on for the first time. I was using my metronome and was just not getting it. My teacher burnt a 8 drum tracks to a CD gradually climbing up to 140 or 160bpm. For some reason once I started doing it with the drum tracks it "clicked" for me. Not sure why this is or if anyone else has had the same experience but I definitely found the drum tracks easier to work with. (and as mentioned above a bit more fun as well)

I'lll be happy to send those mp3 drum tracks to anyone who wants them...

Elmeaux
12-15-2010, 07:40 AM
I really enjoy playing along with my keyboard's drum machine. It invites a new creative feel...I get experimental with the beats and bass together.

:cool:

c-note
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Felt I would like to give that a try

FeltFedora
12-15-2010, 10:17 PM
...sure thing. PM me your email and I'll send you a zip file with the tracks. I tried to upload it but it was too big.

FeltFedora
12-16-2010, 10:19 PM
OK I have send you emails (I screwed up the first one - it was a zipfile of shortcuts to the mp3 files). The second one looks like it worked.

Here is the link: LINKY LINKY (https://www.yousendit.com/download/RlRyRFFUQzczeUt4dnc9PQ)

Its only good for a week (until Dec 23rd)

SilverFlame46
12-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks for sharing, Joe!!!

c-note
12-17-2010, 09:56 AM
thanks joe

Mike
12-17-2010, 11:16 AM
I have been using EZ Drummer by Toontrack for the last couple of months and I really like it a lot. I has lot of different drum riffs you use for practice. I has become my favorite(over the old metronome).

Mike

70vetteman
12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I have the Boss DR-5 drum machine. It is very useful as you can have a full drum pattern including kick, snare, hi-hat or ride, and cymbals (it will also allow you to program guitar, bass, and keyboard sounds as well). It also has the ability to turn on the "swing" function which works great with some of the blues and jazz songs from around lessons 5 and 6. However, as someone mentioned in the thread below, programming the drum pattern can be a challenge and is something I have to relearn everytime. I used to have the Boss DR-550 which was significantly easier to program than the DR-5. These are both older drum machines. Newer versions are now available with more features. There are many drum machines to choose from and most sound really good. I have found that playing with a drum machine really teaches you about playing in time with a band and has helped me tremendously over the years.

My thoughts, for what they are worth...

jthomas353
01-28-2011, 09:22 AM
I have been using EZ Drummer by Toontrack for the last couple of months and I really like it a lot. I has lot of different drum riffs you use for practice. I has become my favorite(over the old metronome).

Mike

Hello Mike,

Do you just program your own tracks into EZ Drummer or can you download pre-programmed tracks for it? I've got PC Drummer but only have a few tracks for it and not been able to find any online. If there are a lot of tracks for EZ Drummer it may be worth the switch.

Thanks,
John

ggaroutte
03-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Hello Mike,
I have a Boss DR 770 drum machine, and also a Boss DB66 metronome, both of which I have had for several years, but I really never had used the drum machine until recently. I have used the metronome quite a bit but for some reason I was always intimidated by the drum machine until the last 3-4 months. I had the metronome first and it was just too easy to use what I was used to I guess. Right now if I could only have one of them I'd probably go with the drum machine because it makes it feel more like playing wirh a group than the metronome. The Drum machine can be programmed or if you know a drummer it can be played it in real time using the pads that are used to program it. I have never tried to program it because it has over 200 drum patches in it and that has been plenty for me, although I do need to learn how do enough programming to tie some of the riffs together to make the track last the full length of a song.

Bassix
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I had the metronome first and it was just too easy to use what I was used to I guess. Right now if I could only have one of them I'd probably go with the drum machine because it makes it feel more like playing wirh a group than the metronome.

I'm the same way. The metronome helps me keep time but the drum machine helps me make time (to play just a little longer). :D