PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Norway

Neeraj
12-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi there Thunder Row!
My name is Neeraj from Norway. I turned 31 two months ago, got married 3 months ago, just bought a plot (gonna build a house) & work as a dentist. I have been mostly into music as a fan, but wish to get more into musicianship. I have played bass on & off for the last 12 years (didn't get to touch the instrument during studies & earlier military service). I guess laziness could have a part too, but outside my reading, my choice was bass or being social... I chose the latter...

Currently, I play in a death metal band in my hometown, Kristiansund. Its not my favorite genre, but the other members are all my friends and it helps me to keep my fingers moving. I mainly am a fan of prog rock/metal & jazz. In my past I used Dean basses, but for a year have been hooked on Carvin and use that only now.

I really needed to so sit down and start learning what it is I am doing. I can play most things I get on tabs, or out of hearing, problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. I recently started subscription for Bass Player Mag & saw an add for the TMBG collection. I checked it out online and now here I am. I started not long ago, and have now reached Lesson two, learning the Major scales. Can't believe I played all this time & not knowing anything about such stuff. Almost embarrassed.

Playing in the band I do, my communication with the guitarist doesn't require those skills as we compose music by just playing what sound good to us, and theoretically have no clue what it is. I am planning to make music with a pianist soon, so for that I have to learn all I can, otherwise he'll be talking to a wall.

Anyhow, I would like to say hi to all of you, I am glad to have started these lessons, just the 2 first lessons have opened my eyes quite a lot and feel really motivated to keep it going. I hope I haven't bored anyone and if u lasted this long, thanks for ur time :)

Cheers!
Neeraj

SilverFlame46
12-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Hey Neeraj, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. We are glad to have you aboard and I know you will be very pleased with the TMBG Course. Roy is one of the best teachers around and he makes it FUN while you are learning. Everyone at Thunder Row tries to be helpful so if you have any questions or comments don't be afraid to post them. We are ALL here to learn together. Good luck with your TMBG Lessons!!!

Elmeaux
12-26-2010, 10:05 AM
What he said.

Death Metal, eh? Any videos to share? Any pix of you holding your bass?

Good luck with the lessons.

Check out the calendar for 30 December - there are two chats scheduled. See if you can make one of them so we can get to know you!

If you'd like to say HI to Roy, he'll be at the 8PM chat. Er...I think that's like THREE in the morning in Norway. It might be a bit late, but then again, aren't Death Metal folk up till the wee hours?

If it's too late, come to the 10AM chat - I think that's 5PM in Norway. No Roy, but some of the rest of us will be there and we'd be happy to talk about the lessons and your goals for the new year.

:cool:

Patrick
12-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Death Metal, eh? Any videos to share? Any pix of you holding your bass?

I was afraid you were going to ask to share some of their music ;)

Not that I really hate it, but let's say Sepultura (Chaos A.D. and some songs from Roots) is where I draw my line. The rest is just too hard for me (and it's a wonder I can appreciate "cut-throat" given my sometimes massive Migraine and C.H. attacks).

Now my brother is a real Metal man (don't ask me what he's got but I know there is Slayer and many other bands, the harder to better is his motto).

Anyway,
Welcome to the Row !

Oh, you know Channel Zero ? that's a Belgian metal band (stopped a long time ago but they are working on a new album and played some festivals last summer) I don't think it's classified as death-metal, maybe just "Heavy-Metal" but they have some good songs on their "Unsafe" album.

Neeraj
12-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanx for the welcome guys,
Hi SF46, I'm sure there will be heaps of q's coming over the months to come, hehe.

Elmeaux, I would have loved to come on the chat with Roy, his lessons are great & he is nothing less than amazing, both in teaching and playing, but it is quite late for me as I got work next day (yup, working on 31st too), but I will try to be there for the early chat so I can get to know you and others who will be there.

We have a myspace for our band, you can check the music from our album & an amateur recording video from a festival we played in last summer in Germany, rainy, but fun.

myspace.com/thesickeningdeathmetal

Patrick, I am actually not a big fan of death metal either, I just play it, barely listen to it, even our own music I dont listen to unless its for reminding b4 learning or anything I wish to change. I think prog metal is my fav genre, but I love music of all genres, most important thing I look for is a catchy tune, even the bassline for Lady Gaga's Poker face is great IMO.
Nope, never heard of Channel Zero, will check them out though.

c-note
12-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the row neeraj

Patrick
12-27-2010, 03:53 AM
I think prog metal is my fav genre, but I love music of all genres, most important thing I look for is a catchy tune, even the bassline for Lady Gaga's Poker face is great IMO.

Ah, so you're kinda like me then. I can appreciate almost all genres in music. I always say that it stops when it becomes to extreme on both sides (like death metal on one side and that stupid house or Tecno on the other side).

My favorite band is AC/DC so I guess that's Rock (at least that's what AC/DC claims to bring). But I have records going from Dido to Sepultura and includes bands like : Pennywise, Queen, Dire Straits, Green Day, Iron Maiden, The Bangles, House of Pain, Laïs (you probably don't know them since that's a Belgian folk band. The name is welsh or Irish or something like that and means "voice"), R.E.M., and many of the now classics (Two Princes, Zombie, Not an Addict, Papa was a Rolling stone, ... and so on, There are also some that I know through my brother like Judas Priest for example).

Nope, never heard of Channel Zero, will check them out though.
Well some of their better songs (but that's totally IMHO) are :
Suck My Energy, Help and Run W.T.T. ("Run With The Torch" which is about the Olympics) and maybe Bad to the Bone.

Ralph
12-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi, Neeraj
I cut my teeth on Deth Metal - The Cowsills, Tommy James and the Shondels, Bobby Sherman. Those were the days!
Welcome to the Row. And me sure to ask for me specifically if you'd like some INTELLIGENT conversation.
Sir Ralph

jthomas353
12-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Hello Neeraj,

Welcome to Thunder Row. Looking forward to hearing more about you and how you are doing with TMBG. Best of luck to you.

John

Neeraj
01-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Patrick, I listened to Channel Zero, I'm sorry, but its not really my type.

I love Iron Maiden though, very pro. Steve Harris is actually the first reason I picked up the bass, excellent musician and composer.

Sir Ralph, once I get smarter, I will definitely ask u something once I get smarter :)
It's not much I like within death metal myself, main reason I play in that band is cause they are my friends, and its also challenging to play with them. I have improved having someone to play with than by myself. Keeps me on my toes. Thee are few bassists in that genre that also do many other genres. If u search for Obscura on youtube, the first vid is with a classical bassplayer, Jeroen Paul Thesseling. In the band Atheist, the bassist plays mainly jazz & samba. Its very nice to see how they add those flavors to the genre :)

C-note & Jthomas, thanx for the welcome, its nice to meet u too. All of u!

Patrick
01-01-2011, 03:32 PM
You don't need to apologize for not liking the music from Channel Zero, Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion on Music and everything else. I was just pointing to a band that I thought you might like. I don't consider them to be Death-Metal.