PDA

View Full Version : Took the plunge into a 5-string bass!!!

jthomas353
12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Well, finally took the plunge and bought a 5-string bass. After quite a bit of research I settled on a G&L Tribute L-2500 in blueburst with a maple neck and maple fingerboard. Got it at Bass Northwest in Seattle for a great price which includes free setups for as long as I own it.

It's a wonderful sounding bass with ton's of options with the 3 dials and 3 switches. As quoted from a Bass Player magazine review "also praised the taut B string, describing the tone as “kidney-stone-dissolving.” I definitely agree with that assertion; and it sustains forever.

Have had it just for a couple of days so getting used to the wider fret spacing, round wound strings and of course 5 strings but really enjoying it.

Pics are posted in an album on my profile page.

John

P.S. Here's the link to the Bass Player review if you're interested.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/tribute-by-gl/may-04/668

SilverFlame46
12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey John, congratulation. I to have been thinking about purchasing a 5-string but I would like for it to be an acoustic/electric. I am almost ready to go for it. I guess I just need a little push. Hope you enjoy your new found friend!!!

Elmeaux
12-30-2010, 04:31 PM
She's a beaut. Very industrial looking with those chunky twin powerpoles.

Personally, I'd get rid of the light coloured fretboard, but that's just a preference.

Have you chosen a name yet?

I'd have to hold a 5 string in my hand to see if I liked it. My Ibanez has a very narrow neck and so far, I like it that way. I don't even know how my fingers would like the wider spacing.

Anyway, it's best not to sadden myself by touching new basses while I haven't any money. I'd only hurt my own feelings.

Congrats, proud new Pappa!!

line6bassman
12-30-2010, 09:32 PM
5 strings are wonderful!! But I always have my AS Fender Jazz when I want a 4 String.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9dQZcW6LLk

line6bassman

TLDTR
12-30-2010, 09:45 PM
"Kidney-Stone Dissolving." The perfect description of my low B. Hold on to your dentures!
Ed.

jthomas353
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
She's a beaut. Very industrial looking with those chunky twin powerpoles.

Personally, I'd get rid of the light coloured fretboard, but that's just a preference.

Have you chosen a name yet?

I'd have to hold a 5 string in my hand to see if I liked it. My Ibanez has a very narrow neck and so far, I like it that way. I don't even know how my fingers would like the wider spacing.

Anyway, it's best not to sadden myself by touching new basses while I haven't any money. I'd only hurt my own feelings.

Congrats, proud new Pappa!!

It took me awhile to decide on a 5 string, mainly because of the wider neck. I'm used to the narrow neck on my Ibanez too but after a couple of days playing the 5 string I've gotten used to it. I can switch between the two without any problems. Of course the B string will take some getting used to. Need to find some songs that use the B string.

A name, hmmm. I think my Ibanez will be jealous if I give the new one a name since I've not given the Ibanez a name yet. :(

jthomas353
12-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey John, congratulation. I to have been thinking about purchasing a 5-string but I would like for it to be an acoustic/electric. I am almost ready to go for it. I guess I just need a little push. Hope you enjoy your new found friend!!!

Go for it. The Kingman that Mr. Wiley got looks pretty good. Do you have anything in mind?

SilverFlame46
12-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Go for it. The Kingman that Mr. Wiley got looks pretty good. Do you have anything in mind?

Not yet, I'm still looking, but I'm leaning toward a Fender!!!

jthomas353
12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Not yet, I'm still looking, but I'm leaning toward a Fender!!!

Good choice, I like Fenders too. Make sure to try it, serveral times, before you buy it. I went to a few different guitar stores probably about 10 trips playing different basses before I decided. Best of luck to you.

Pointbass
01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
The L-2500 is a wonderful bass, enjoy it! :cool:

jthomas353
01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Pointbass,

Yes, I'm really enjoying it.It was a great choice for me. I always pick it up first when I practice and switch to my trusty Ibanez half way through. Don't want it to feel left out.

John

Pointbass
01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
For sure, don't want to hurt their feelings!! :D

SilverFlame46
02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Well, I finally did it. Yesterday, I bought an Ibanez 5-String Acoustic/Electric Bass. I debated between a Fender and a Ibanez and the Ibanez won. It's going to take me awhile to get use to its monster size, the 5th string and no thumb rest but I like it so far!!!

Wish me luck!!!

TobiasMan
02-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Quite a bit more positional flexibility on a 5'r. :cool: :D

c-note
02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Well fellow TR's I'm ahead of the game I'm contemplating a 6s or maybe more idk I love my 5s tremendously & know I will enjoy a six congrats John & silverflame that's just reinforce's my need to go out & get one soon

Elmeaux
02-01-2011, 07:51 PM
She's a beaut. Love the dark brown colour.

LOL...I love the way our basses all look in their stands. Looks like they all have these little spread-apart legs with knobs for feet.

I AM MIGHTY BASS!!

I half expect to see them with hands on hips, cape flying behind them...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

jthomas353
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Way to go SilverFlame. Nice bass, and it's an Ibanez. Would love to hear a recording of it, both acoustic an plugged in.

John

SilverFlame46
02-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Way to go SilverFlame. Nice bass, and it's an Ibanez. Would love to hear a recording of it, both acoustic an plugged in.

John

I'll try to put something up later when I start getting comfortable with it. I think it's going to be awhile though. The biggest problems so far is no place to put my thumb when playing the B String and its large size compared to my electric. I hope it works itself out over time!!!

Elmeaux
02-02-2011, 07:08 AM
I realise you're probably not thinking about aftermarket stuff this early in your relationship with the new baby, but you could have a thumb rest installed. The guitar shop would analyse exactly how you'd like it to be for the most comfortable placement, and they could put it on for you.

SilverFlame46
02-02-2011, 08:39 AM
I realise you're probably not thinking about aftermarket stuff this early in your relationship with the new baby, but you could have a thumb rest installed. The guitar shop would analyse exactly how you'd like it to be for the most comfortable placement, and they could put it on for you.

Thanks, if I can't work it out I'll probably go that route. I'm going to give it some time though to see what happens!!!

TobiasMan
02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I'd be interested in the plucking technique that you find most useful. I've seen a number of accoustic bass guitar players who've used a plucking motion that moves their hand away from the fretboard as they pluck, sort of like the way some pluck an upright.

I'm not sure a thumb rest would help if that's the way you play it. ;)

SilverFlame46
02-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I'd be interested in the plucking technique that you find most useful. I've seen a number of accoustic bass guitar players who've used a plucking motion that moves their hand away from the fretboard as they pluck, sort of like the way some pluck an upright.

I'm not sure a thumb rest would help if that's the way you play it. ;)

Well, so far I've been trying to play (pluck) this acoustic the same way I do my electric and it seems to work. Although when it is strictly acoustic I'm getting some buzz. When I play it as electric I don't hear the buzz and it sounds pretty good. In looking at the fretboard the strings almost touch the first and second frets and the further up the neck the high the strings from the frets. I don't know if this has something to do with the buzz or not.

TobiasMan
02-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Does that bass have a trussrod in the neck to adjust the neck relief?
If so, a set up with a little lower truss rod tension might alleviate the buzz. If not, you may have to have the frets leveled and dressed to the right heights to correct the buzz.

Greg Jewell
02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
jthomas353:

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. You'll be kicking off the training wheels in no time.

Greg

SilverFlame46
02-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Does that bass have a trussrod in the neck to adjust the neck relief?
If so, a set up with a little lower truss rod tension might alleviate the buzz. If not, you may have to have the frets leveled and dressed to the right heights to correct the buzz.

I'm sure it does as there is a hex-nut adjustment screw (labeled "Double Action") just inside the sound hole. The guy at Guitar Center where I bought the Bass eyed the neck when I purchased it and said it looked OK but wanted me to play it for a couple of weeks before he made any adjustments to it. I probably will be taking it back for a complete set-up before the two weeks is up!!!

TobiasMan
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Good! When you take it back for a setup, hopefully he'll be able to make that adjustment and correct the buzzing on the lower frets.

Does it buzz on all the strings on the first and second frets, or just a single string? If it buzzes very close to the nut that may be difficult to address with the truss rod as it impact is more in the middle of the neck. If he can't get it corrected, the nut itself may have been cut a bit deep and may have to be replaced/fixed to get the correct string height over the first fret.

Good luck

SilverFlame46
02-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Good! When you take it back for a setup, hopefully he'll be able to make that adjustment and correct the buzzing on the lower frets.

Does it buzz on all the strings on the first and second frets, or just a single string? If it buzzes very close to the nut that may be difficult to address with the truss rod as it impact is more in the middle of the neck. If he can't get it corrected, the nut itself may have been cut a bit deep and may have to be replaced/fixed to get the correct string height over the first fret.

Good luck

No, just the B, E and A. The D and G are OK. It looks like when I fret the first fret on the B, E and A strings they almost touch the second fret. I think that is where the buzz is happening. Playing the strings open just the B and E gets a buzz!!!

TobiasMan
02-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, maybe he'll have to file the second fret down a bit. Hope he can address the buzz that way, as it would be less drastic than replacing the nut.