PDA

View Full Version : Fender Bassman 250/115

barricwiley
01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I have a GOOD friend ( we run races together ) just give me the Bassman amp that the kids from the school he is a band director at trashed and they have bought a new amp to replace it. He said if I wanted it to try and repair/have repaired I was welcome to it rather than toss it in the rolloff. So, If I can get it going I am a happy amper and if not, well, I am out nothing.
I do have a question at the moment though. I looked at the rear of the amp and I see "tuner out" socket. How on earth does a person make use of that? How could one tune a guitar using that or does it refer to tuning something else altogether?
I am sure I will have more questions as I go along if no one minds about it.
I post any progress I am able to make with this behemoth.
Thanks, Richard

jthomas353
01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Richard,

I found the user manual online for this combo amp. It says Tuner Out is "Connection for your bass tuner. Use MUTE {O} for silent tune-ups." If you're interested you can download the manual in PDF format here:

http://safemanuals.com/314159.php?k=bd73f28afa320a5a983c9a1e536aa533&ID=444672&q=FENDER BASSMAN 250

If the link does not work, copy and paste (the entire URL including BASSMAN 250) into your URL address bar. There are 4 user rating questions to answer but you can just select anything there to get the file.

Hope this helps.

John

barricwiley
01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I downloaded the manual, thank you for that.
Does that mean I plug an electronic tuner into it, not the guitar itself right?

jthomas353
01-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I downloaded the manual, thank you for that.
Does that mean I plug an electronic tuner into it, not the guitar itself right?

Richard,

Yes, looks like you plug in a tuner into that jack. There is a Mute {O} button on the front panel that you depress to mute all outputs when you want to silently tune your bass. The only output when Mute is depressed would be to the tuner.

John

barricwiley
01-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks again John for your help. If I can get this wreck working I will give it a go with the tuner. Not that I can't simply plug the guitar directly into the tuner but adds a little more interest.
Richard

TobiasMan
01-01-2011, 02:50 PM
A tuner connected to your amp, just means when your guitard is giving you strange looks like there's something wrong with you tuning, you can just hit the mute, check your tuning to determine that everything is fine, unmute and give the guitard the, "so, it's you out of tune," look ;)

No unplugging and replugging involved. :cool:

barricwiley
01-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Tuner + Guitar + me = 3 outta tunes!
:+}
Lovin' Life +++

barricwiley
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Well, Last night I finished working on the Bassman amp and it seems to be working just great.
The power cord was missing as well as the socket that it should have to be plugged into. I removed the back plate and found that the lttle vandals had jerked everything out of the cabinet using the female socket and it tore loose from all the wiring inside. That was really very lucky for me I think because all I ended up having to do was reconnect some wires with wire nuts and solder a few connections back together at their respective terminals. After that I could not really see any more visual damage and of course I would not know if any part inside died till I plugged it in. I got as far away from the amp as the cord would allow (sceared) and plugged in - then turned it on with all the knobs turned down. The red light came on and nothing sounded or looked threatening (no smoke) so I plugged in the Kingman, turned up the tone knobs about halfway and started turning up the volume knob. I set it about 4 and plucked the E string and low and behold it worked. I now have an amp if I find the nerve to be heard.
Yahoo, Richard

TobiasMan
01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Well done and congrats on turning "trash" into treasure.

Play on, man :cool:

barricwiley
01-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks TobiasMan, My wife said she could hear me upstairs in M/B and I was in the basement. Guess I better turn it down abit - it was only set at about 10 o'clock.
Yes, cool!

Well done and congrats on turning "trash" into treasure.

Play on, man :cool:

TLDTR
01-05-2011, 12:06 AM
I get nervous around wires - especially if they're plugged in - and, therefore, am most impressed with your feat. Well done! May you and your 'reconditioned' amp enjoy many happy years. (Tell your wife a new smoke detector is on the way...!)
Congratulations!
Ed.

barricwiley
01-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks TLDTR for my morning smile. Part of my job before I retired invloved a good bit of electrical know how (not electronics) and as Clint said " a man's gotta know his limitations".
I am only trying to get my fingers to the proper frets in my effort to learn the fretboard in disc #1 but I hope to try to make a short video to show how nice it works. Nothing to offer but noise for the moment. Hee.
If I do then I will need to figure out how to upload to here. It will be at that point that I am glad to be amongst friends.
Richard