PDA

View Full Version : New from Arkansas

Cblack
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Hello everyone, I am clack from AR and this is my first bass. I am 41 and finally able to learn to play. I have started the bass dvd lessons. Thusfar they are a little tough, but probably because it's all so new for me. But I am patient.

My fingering hand gets strained though until I get used to everything.

Patrick
01-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Welcome to the Row Cblack !

To train your hand better you might wanna try the warm-up and cool-down exercises that Roy shows during the lessons on the DVD. They should work again strain.

Also you might wanna take his advise and practice is short sessions, especially in the beginning so your fingers will get used to it and then build up stamina as you go.

And, it seems you made a typo when entering the Teach Me Bass Guitar code when registering, can you give that a look and fix it ? Once the code is correct I can continue to setup your access to the members section.

Cblack
01-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi Patrick, thanks for the advice. What will I need to do in order to fix the registration error? Should I go to forums and choose Sign Up again?

Welcome to the Row Cblack !

To train your hand better you might wanna try the warm-up and cool-down exercises that Roy shows during the lessons on the DVD. They should work again strain.

Also you might wanna take his advise and practice is short sessions, especially in the beginning so your fingers will get used to it and then build up stamina as you go.

And, it seems you made a typo when entering the Teach Me Bass Guitar code when registering, can you give that a look and fix it ? Once the code is correct I can continue to setup your access to the members section.

jthomas353
01-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Hello Cblack,

Welcome to the Row. Glad to have you with us.

In addition to the suggestions Patrick mentioned, I believe Roy had posted a pre-practice or pre-playing ritual that he does. It was to take a few minutes before practice/playing and wash your hands in warm water. This gives you a few minutes to think about what you want to accomplish during your practice, gets your hands and fingers clean so your bass/strings stay clean, and the warm water help to get the blood circulating into your hands which helps with alleviating the strain of playing.

I'll post the link to this article if I can find it again.

Hope this helps.

John

Patrick
01-02-2011, 10:01 AM
You don't need to sign-up again (that will create a new username).
you can just click on "Forum Actions" at the top of this page (it's in the purply-blue bar) if you click that you should see a "drop-down" menu. The last option (there should be 3) says : "Edit Profile".
If you click that you get a page where you can set your personal information like password, ICQ, ...
at the bottom there is :
Please enter the code found on the inside of your TMBG package:
you should already see the code there, so you just edit it to make it an exact match to what's on the sticker inside your TMBG package and click "save changes"
finally send me a PM or just reply here with something like "done" but your posts needs to be at least 10 characters so done won't be accepted ;) (so type something longer).

SilverFlame46
01-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Cblack. Glad to have you as part of the TMBG Family. I know you will enjoy the lessons as Roy makes learning FUN!!!

Greg Jewell
01-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Cblack:
Greetings and welcome to the group. No worries about "getting-it" over night. Take the time, follow Roy's advice, and it will all come together...as it should.

Greg

jthomas353
01-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Here's the link to Lane's article about his hand washing ritual before he plays. Thought it was Roy but looks like Lane does this.

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?7-One-Hand-Washes-the-Other-Preparing-to-Play

Enjoy.

Elmeaux
01-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I agree with Lane about warming the fingers. Cold fingers don't work.

Cblack
01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Got it done Patrick, thanks for your help

You don't need to sign-up again (that will create a new username).
you can just click on "Forum Actions" at the top of this page (it's in the purply-blue bar) if you click that you should see a "drop-down" menu. The last option (there should be 3) says : "Edit Profile".
If you click that you get a page where you can set your personal information like password, ICQ, ...
at the bottom there is :
Please enter the code found on the inside of your TMBG package:
you should already see the code there, so you just edit it to make it an exact match to what's on the sticker inside your TMBG package and click "save changes"
finally send me a PM or just reply here with something like "done" but your posts needs to be at least 10 characters so done won't be accepted ;) (so type something longer).

Cblack
01-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks, I can't see the links as of yet until I post more topics. But I totally understand about the hand washing. It makes good sense

Here's the link to Lane's article about his hand washing ritual before he plays. Thought it was Roy but looks like Lane does this.

Enjoy.

Patrick
01-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Great,
You should have access to the Ask Roy section of the site.