PDA

View Full Version : The next bass jam - a little latin spice?

slejhamer
01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I put together a bassless backing track using a Santana-style guitar groove. Any interest in using this (well, an extended version of it) for the next bass jam? I'll host again.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10067152

FeltFedora
01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Thats awesome!! I have been working out Oye Como Va with the group of guys I have jamming with. That syncopation was kicking my butt until I finally got it. Now I am trying to figure out why I thought it was hard.... This would have been a big help. Very cool stuff.

jthomas353
01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi Slej,

I took a listen to the track and it's pretty cool. Looking forward to hearing the finished product.

John

Elmeaux
01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Come on, Students! Reserve your section on Slej's jam! He puts all the recordings together into one big Jam-O-Rama.

Practice and sign up!

Greg Jewell
01-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Slej:

I love it...Great addition to our library of very cool stuff.

Muchas Gracias, Jefe...

slejhamer
01-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Lol, maybe some more 'splainin' is needed. If you are relatively new here (like since last September), or if you didn't participate in the Jazzy Blues jam, check out this thread:

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread.php?501-Anyone-interested-in-an-online-jam-improv

So I'm basically proposing this as the next collaborative improv; each person would get about 1 minute to do their thing on bass, coming up with a "solo" (but not so low we can't hear you ... :rolleyes: ). Want to borrow from Oye Como Va? Cool. Want to do something totally different for the backing track? Cool too.

Let me know if there's interest; I can extend this track as long as needed. If not, no worries, I shall simply withdraw to the cold dark recesses of my basement music room ... :D

FeltFedora
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
That sounds fun. I don't think I am up to a skill level yet to be able to do it yet. I am only at Disk 3 still. All you would hear is my simplified 12 bar blues beating on Santanas door.

slejhamer
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
That sounds fun. I don't think I am up to a skill level yet to be able to do it yet. I am only at Disk 3 still. All you would hear is my simplified 12 bar blues beating on Santanas door.

Nah, these are for any and all playing levels, especially 'students.' Great way to learn!

I think this is in A minor. I'd probably try the A Dorian scale over it (or under it, as the case may be.)

Elmeaux
01-04-2011, 10:08 AM
They're fun. You just work out a little line that lasts about a minute or so, then record it and email it to Slej. He takes all the contributors lines and mixes them into the tune. Each part of the song gets a different feel based on the bass player of that ssection.

Don't be shy now. What about some of our new members? You guys with the fancy hand-made basses. Have a go, eh? :cool:

slejhamer
01-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Rather read about latin bass players than actually play, I suppose ...

:(

Elmeaux
01-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Come on, Bass People. Make sweet music with Slej.

Don't disappoint a Fellow of The Row.

Grab his latin track and make up some bassy-grooves.

jthomas353
01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
They're fun. You just work out a little line that lasts about a minute or so, then record it and email it to Slej. He takes all the contributors lines and mixes them into the tune. Each part of the song gets a different feel based on the bass player of that ssection.

Don't be shy now. What about some of our new members? You guys with the fancy hand-made basses. Have a go, eh? :cool:

After a year you can take a listen to it and see how much you've improved. Good way to gauge your progress.

I was really reluctant to do it at first thinking I'm not good enough, people will think it sucks, I don't have time, etc. Just gotta remember we're all at various levels in our playing and we're all here to learn. Jump in and have a go at it. You'll be glad you did and have fun doing it and be surprised at how much better you are than you think.

Elmeaux
01-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Amen to that. I played on the last one. Didn't even know if it would sound good. When we were all mixed together, it was great. And you're right about seeing how much better you get with time.

c-note
01-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm gonna try & get on board this time around, hopefully I have the right equipment. :cool:

Elmeaux
01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Atta boy! Download the tune and get busy making up a bassline!

slejhamer
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Alright C-Note!

Step right up, folks, don't be shy! I can loop the track as much as needed for as many who want in.

jthomas353
02-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello all TMBG bass players. Here's your chance to step on up and show us your stuff. It's fun, it's entertaining, it's a blast. Slej is waiting for you to sign up so join today.

Elmeaux
02-09-2011, 06:14 PM
What he said. It's a great group activity.

FeltFedora
02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
OK ill do this... so all I do is dl the tune on at teh beginning of this post... then record something over it?

Elmeaux
02-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Yep...you dl the tune, make up a bass groove that moves you...play and record it, and send it to Slej.

He has said in the past that he likes two copies...one of just the bass by itself, and one of the mix of bass and tune, so he knows how you intend it to be placed.

Depending on how many people participate, he then mixes each submitted bass line into part of the song...and viola!! A group playalong!!

You can get more details from Slej. It's great fun.