PDA

View Full Version : Skin DEEP

Elmeaux
01-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Welcome to SKIN DEEP - Thunder Row’s first new game for 2011.

Here’s how it works.

Two basses will be displayed for your viewing pleasure.
You simply vote for the one you think is better looking.
Yes, it’s all about outer beauty in this game.

Every Monday morning, the winner of the previous week’s head-to-head will go up against a new challenger.

Will the winner be dethroned, or is there a bass out there that’s just too beautiful to beat?

How long can you keep your favourite ax at the top of the heap?

Will your bass be the highest of the low? The top of the bottom?

And so, without further ado...

May we have our first candidates, please?

I give you...

ROUND 1:

The Hofner H500/1-CT Violin Bass (left) versus the Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass (right).

- just click for a closer look -

454 453

SilverFlame46
01-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Because I am a big Fender Fan and love the Fender Jazz Bass this is a hard vote. But, because this vote is based ONLY on outer appearance (outer beauty) I cast my vote for The Hofner H500/1-CT Violin Bass!!!

jthomas353
01-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Although I would love to own the Hofner Violin bass, I have to vote for the Fender Jazz. I have always found the control panel on the Hofner to look like an afterthought. It just looks out of place. If the switches and dials were placed right on the body without the panel it would get my vote. The Fender Jazz is a timeless classic style.
Fender Jazz gets my vote.

Patrick
01-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Like SilverFlame46, if it's looks only then it's the Hofner H500/1-CT

slejhamer
01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I vote for the utilitarian look of the Jazz.

Agree with JT on the Hofner's control panel.

But, if the Hofner picture was of the same model in blue flame, I might have voted different. (Unless the Jazz was in Candy Apple red, a winner for sure!)

TobiasMan
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
On looks alone - the Hofner (notwithstanding the switch panel :D ).

That was "like" the bass I started on in about 1963 ;)

slejhamer
01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Methinks 'someone' has not yet cast a vote ...

SilverFlame46
01-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Methinks 'someone' has not yet cast a vote ...

Yep, the results show 7 but when you add up the votes it only totals 5!!!:confused:

But then again maybe the results show all post and not votes???

Pointbass
01-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I have to give props to the J .... I could never get behind the Violin bass look, it just never appealed to me. Plus, as a big guy, that little body is nearly impossible to play.

Bit this is about looks, and to me, nothing is more classic looking than a traditional Fender body shape :cool:

I love this 7 from The Low End

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x26/oniecruz/DSC01085.jpg

See how well that body shape translates to a higher string count? You could never do that to a Violin body and not have it look weird ....

Elmeaux
01-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Yep, the results show 7 but when you add up the votes it only totals 5!!!:confused:

But then again maybe the results show all post and not votes???

Yeah, if you just vote, it doesn't count as a reply. Not everybody's gonna say in public how they voted. Secret ballots and all.

Elmeaux
01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
See how well that body shape translates to a higher string count? You could never do that to a Violin body and not have it look weird ....

Er...um...that's not actually lying on the FLOOR, is it?

Pointbass
01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Er...um...that's not actually lying on the FLOOR, is it?

:D

Yes, I believe it is! Not sure if that's a Low End photo, I know they use a padded work bench for pics ... :cool:

Elmeaux
01-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Keep them votes coming, Members! So far, we're in a tie!!!

stantonl
01-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I have to go with the Fender J, I like the Hofner but I don't think black is really it's best color.

Elmeaux
01-09-2011, 07:57 AM
One more day to vote! We're neck and neck in a tie!

Patrick
01-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Ah, "Neck and Neck"
A very good album by Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler ;)