PDA

View Full Version : Forum Problem ?

jthomas353
01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
When I select "Reply" to a post, I get the entire post I'm replying to as if I had selected "Reply with Quote" instead of a blank reply box. Is anyone else experiencing this?

John

Elmeaux
01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Hit REPLY TO THREAD left side, under the text box, rather than the little arrow next to REPLY WITH QUOTE. You get a blank reply window then.

TobiasMan
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I've noticed that before, both the Reply and the Reply with Quote on the bottom right side of the page result in a reply with quote. :confused:

The ones on the right appear to relate to that particular response, not a response to the thread.

As Elmeaux said, use the big red (sorry, it actually is blue! :o ) box on the bottom left to reply with a blank page.

jthomas353
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Ok, that worked. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, my box is blue instead of red. :confused:

Thanks,
John

Patrick
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Ok, that worked. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, my box is blue instead of red. :confused:

Thanks,
John

I will ask "Forum Support" to have a look at this ...

... Oh, Wait ...
I am Forum support :D

(I'll give it a look).

And the box should be blue not red ! (unless you're using a different theme which should not be possible since it's deactivated).

Patrick
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Weird :confused:

The "quote" option is set off so it should not quote the previous post, unless you use the reply with quote button.

Maybe it's related to the style that's used to display the posts ? (there is linear which we use now, threaded and Hybrid which is a mix og both linear and threaded modes).

TobiasMan
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
My bad, the box is BLUE :o

slejhamer
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Another glitch? When I move my mouse pointer over someone's name, there will be a little pop-up box with links to their profile, private message, etc. If I move my mouse into the box to try to click on something, the box disappears. :confused:

Patrick
01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes,
you need to click on the username and then select what you want from their profile page.

jthomas353
01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Interesting, just noticed another anomaly. It seems almost everyone is now a "Member" and a "Senior Member" of the forum. Patrick and Elmeaux is "Administrator" and TLDTR is "Administrator" and "Senior Member". Seems a bug has infiltrated the system.

John

Patrick
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Interesting, just noticed another anomaly. It seems almost everyone is now a "Member" and a "Senior Member" of the forum. Patrick and Elmeaux is "Administrator" and TLDTR is "Administrator" and "Senior Member". Seems a bug has infiltrated the system.

John

No, that's just a WIP (Work In Progress).

Ed (TLDTR) would like to setup the forums in a way that the "normal" members (those who have not bought the "Teach Me Bass Guitar with Roy Vogt" package) to be "Junior Members" and the People who have bought it to be "Senior Members".

Now the problem is that Junior Member and Senior Member is a "title" that vBulletin assigns depending on the post count.
So someone with (for example).

0 - 10 Posts : Newbie
11 - 100 Posts : Junior Member
101 - 500 Posts : Senior Member
500+ postst : Forum Addict ;)

Now it should be possible to "override" this feature depending on the usergroup (everybody who's a registered TMBG member is member of the "Registered Users" and the "TMBG Members" usergroup) but for some reason this is not working as it should and this would mean that every member needs to be manually set by an Administrator.

So, until I get a mail from Ed about this it's working like this :
- Every member get's the title of Member (except the "special" groups like Administrator and Moderator for example).
- Every TMBG member get's "Senior Member" under the normal title.

Now it's possible to change this into an image for example, and it's actually designed for images.

Anyway, I was looking into these features a few days ago and since the people at TLD were taking the weekend off it stayed like this until they can get back to me and tell me what they want, so maybe the old way will be restored or something else will be done.

A possible option could be to change "member" into "Registered User" or "Registered Member" and "Senior Member" into something like "TMBG Student" or "TMBG Member" or whatever.

slejhamer
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
It seems almost everyone is now a "Member"

I've been called worse.

;)

Patrick
01-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I've been called worse.

;)

I know someone who was called "newt" but that was a joke (I don't remember how long his status was kept like that).

jthomas353
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Patrick,

Thanks for the explaination. I assumed there had to be something going on but just wanted to bring it to someones attention in case something broke. Best of luck in getting it working as envisioned by Ed. I think it's a great idea.

John

P.S. Good one Slej!

Patrick
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Well on that other forum we had it setup like this.

The "Title" system was setup like it is by default, meaning that you get a title based on post-count. And there were some jokes like at some point the title was "Carpal Tunnel".

The rest was custom setup.
Because this was (it's gone now and so is the company) "corporate" forum the employees who visited the forums had their name in red. So if something like that would be setup here then TLDTR, Ralph and Roy would have their names in red.

The Moderators (who were all volunteers) had their names in green, and as a joke we were called "'The Green Team" so I guess here that would be Elmeaux and Patrick.

Then we had 2 types or users (actually 3)
- The regular members had their names in the standard color.

- The "Insiders" (as we were called) had our names in Blue and we had a small banner under out title that said "Insider".
The insiders were somekind of "Power Users" (at least in General), most of the Insiders joined before there was an actual product and help with the beta testing of the software until it was released (and then they got access to the next beta and help fine-tune that one until it was ready to release).
Later on the company decided to change course and it was let to die (Another company bought it, but nothing much came from it).

Anyway, the "banner" system is something that I think is a good idea. That will keep the title (depending on what TLD wants we can leave it at "Member" or have it change depending on the post-count) and add a small banner under the TMBG members to identify them (this work better than just editing the Title IMHO) and for people like Roy, TLDTR and Ralph a special banner can be used to identify them as official representatives of TLD and TR

Another option is to set a "Custom" Title for them and since that's just 3 accounts it's much easier and faster to do than to manually edit the accounts of almost 300 TMBG members.

But, let's see what Ed thinks of it.