PDA

View Full Version : Drums to Bass

Bassix
01-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Hello, All.
I'm a long-time drummer who finally decided to take the plunge and learn bass guitar just over one year ago (01/06/2010). I quickly came to realize that there are no shortcuts (for me, at least) to understanding bass guitar better so I practiced scales, modes, arpeggios, etudes and dexterity exercises (while occasionally learning small portions of songs that I liked :cool: ). It all helped.
I bought TMBG about a month ago so that I could learn some interesting bass lines, improve my music reading skills and get the benefit of "private" lessons. I can honestly say after only one month that I'm learning something new in each lesson (currently learning "Don't Be Bop") and I especially like "playing with the band" after woodshedding on the lessons. I think it's a great course (Ashley isn't bad either). ;)

jthomas353
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello Bassix,

Welcome to Thunder Row and the TMBG course. Glad you're here. I would imagine being a drummer that you have the timing thing down. Anyways, best of luck to you. Any questions, just ask. Lots of great folks here willing to help out a fellow bass player.

John

Elmeaux
01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
You're in the right place then, fellow student. Glad to hear you're enjoying the course.

TLDTR
01-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Glad to have you on board and look forward to following your progress. Tell us about your gear.
Ed.

Bassix
01-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Hello Bassix,

Welcome to Thunder Row and the TMBG course. Glad you're here. I would imagine being a drummer that you have the timing thing down. Anyways, best of luck to you. Any questions, just ask. Lots of great folks here willing to help out a fellow bass player.

John

"Hit or miss" timing is what surprised me the most about my bass playing, John. Until I have the song or lesson down cold, at various times I may get a little behind or ahead of the beat because my brain and fingers aren't quite sure what's next or where to go. Needless to say, the metronome/drum machine is my companion for everything I do (scales, arpeggios, etudes, etc.). Very humbling for a guy who has always been able to keep a rock-solid beat/tempo on the drums!

Bassix
01-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Glad to have you on board and look forward to following your progress. Tell us about your gear.
Ed.

I have a Schecter Stiletto bass and Mesa Boogie 12" Walkabout Scout amp. For some strange reason that combo only sounds good when someone other than me is doing the playing! :confused:
I also have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine that provides a nice change of pace to the metronome and helps a bit when I try to do a little freestyle grooving (not very well, mind you, but hopefully I'll get there).

jthomas353
01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
"Hit or miss" timing is what surprised me the most about my bass playing, John. Until I have the song or lesson down cold, at various times I may get a little behind or ahead of the beat because my brain and fingers aren't quite sure what's next or where to go. Needless to say, the metronome/drum machine is my companion for everything I do (scales, arpeggios, etudes, etc.). Very humbling for a guy who has always been able to keep a rock-solid beat/tempo on the drums!

Bassix,

I guess having great timing on drums doesn't do much good if your fingers/brain can't yet keep up. I'm sure as time goes by and you get better it will be to your advantage.

I see from your other post you have a Schecter Stiletto. Very nice bass. I was considering the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 but opted for a G&L L-2500. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your Stiletto.

John

SilverFlame46
01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
(Ashley isn't bad either). ;)

Hey Bassix, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG. Glad to have you as part of our family.
Better watch out for Ralph though as he thinks he is in control!!!

SilverFlame46
01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I have a Schecter Stiletto bass and Mesa Boogie 12" Walkabout Scout amp. For some strange reason that combo only sounds good when someone other than me is doing the playing! :confused:
I also have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine that provides a nice change of pace to the metronome and helps a bit when I try to do a little freestyle grooving (not very well, mind you, but hopefully I'll get there).

Photos are always welcome!!!

Greg Jewell
01-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Bassix:

Thunder from another drummer. Welcome.