PDA

View Full Version : Fretless playing

cactoose
01-15-2011, 12:52 PM
While I'm saving for my Fender Jaco Fretless, I have just bought a second hand Squier Vintage Fretless.

Does anyone have any fretless playing or setup tips?

Thanks

Chris

Elmeaux
01-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Sorry. Nothing from me.

slejhamer
01-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Setup: as low as possible for maximum "mwah."

:cool:

TobiasMan
01-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Listen, listen, listen. If you can't hear the correct intonation you'll have trouble, even with a lined fretless.

Bass4Gsus
01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
While I'm saving for my Fender Jaco Fretless, I have just bought a second hand Squire Vintage Fretless.

Does anyone have any fretless playing or setup tips?

Thanks

Chris

Chris

The biggest adjustment for me when I got my fretless was note position. My fretless has lines which helps alot, especially when jumping. When you finger a note like A on the E string. On a fretted you can place your finger anywhere between the 4th and 5th fret. On a fretless the A is on the 5th line, not between the 4th and 5th line. Now intonation is critical, and you need to listen and hear the notes, BUT if you look at the neck I got confused for a moment sometimes and while on the A note 5th line my mind played tricks and I thought it looked like Bb for a second, and that was enough to throw me off.

It was toughest on live gigs, where there was some pressure not to screwup. It only took a few weeks to work through, and now it's not an issue at all.

I press down as close to the fret as practical now on the fretted, and people say that gives you a better cleaner sound too.

cactoose
01-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Thank you very much for your advice guys, really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to trying the new bass :)

Greg Jewell
01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
cactoose:

I've been playing a Rob Allen fretless for about 6 months and love it. The comments before me are spot on...you have to listen for proper intonation. In fact, fretless musicians like Steve Bailey suggest that using ones ear is preferable to using ones eyes.
He suggests practicing in the dark...a humbling endeavor.

That said, I've had luck practicing with a KORG chromatic tuner positioned on the music stand. Periodically, stop playing and hold your last note. Then check it against your tuner. This will teach you amazing things. The second challenge is to adjust for ones line-of-sight, especially in first position. For example, if I play a G#, first fret on the G-string, the top of my index finger aligns with the first fret line of the E string (my bass is lined which makes things easier). Or you can practice in front of a mirror from time to time. Otherwise...practice and attitude will get you there.

Greg

stantonl
02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Thought I'd chime in here to see which type of strings you all prefer on your fretless. Years ago I was playing fretless almost exclusively and always used rounds, I've just recently gotten back into playing fretless again and have been using flats. Obviously both types have their pluses and minus's, just curious to hear what you guys are using.

Pointbass
02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
I only play fretless in live settings and I use flatwounds for most of the gigs. I have been stringing with LaBella medium flats for many years, but they are a higher tension string and lots of guys don't like them because of the tension. I also use LaBella black nylon tapewounds on one of the basses, which gives it a sweet "zing".

Fretless is wonderful, but intonation is always the key ..... :cool:

CDRhom
03-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Generally I use D'Addario Medium Chromes. I'm not fond of the feel of tapewound strings.