PDA

View Full Version : Me playing Lady Madonna

jthomas353
01-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Ok, here's my first YouTube video of me playing the bass guitar. If you're a Beatles fan, then hopefully you'll enjoy my attempt at playing Lady Madonna. The sound quality is not the best but bearable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvyFUXflsaA

Here's the link:

Enjoy
John

Bassix
01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Just a few timing issues here and there but overall - Good Job! On your next video, turn that bass up and loosen a few fillings! ;)

Just curious...what did you record with in terms of your camera and microphone? Anything elaborate?

Cblack
01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Ok, here's my first YouTube video of me playing the bass guitar. If you're a Beatles fan, then hopefully you'll enjoy my attempt at playing Lady Madonna. The sound quality is not the best but bearable.

Here's the link:

Enjoy
John

That is very good, John! How long have you been playing bass?

Ditto
01-16-2011, 08:58 PM
That is a nice looking bass. I was thinking of getting a 5 string and liked the L-2500. Just have not pulled that trigger yet.

I have the L-2000E in pearl white, 25 years old and still thumping. I do like the 6 bolts on the neck now.

Ditto

c-note
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
John, Cedrick here, Great job, I too would like to know how & what you used to record

Elmeaux
01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
FANTASTIC!!! More, more, more!

jthomas353
01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Just a few timing issues here and there but overall - Good Job! On your next video, turn that bass up and loosen a few fillings! ;)

Just curious...what did you record with in terms of your camera and microphone? Anything elaborate?

Thanks. The timing was tough on this one at 115 BPM with no breaks but it was a fun song to play.

I used my Sony Handycam HDR-SR1 with the built in mic. It's not the best sound and I'm looking for an external microphone for it. I've narrowed it down to either a Rode Videomic or Azden SGM-1X. I'm leaning towards the Rode as the frequency range goes from 40Hz to 20kHz. That should be enough to get the low B-string thump. ;)

John

jthomas353
01-16-2011, 10:31 PM
That is very good, John! How long have you been playing bass?

Thanks Cedric. I bought my first bass on Jan. 28th 2010 so I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary of bass playing. Once you get over the "hump" things get easier and easier. Keep on playing.

John

TobiasMan
01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Very nice. Sound wasn't bad but a remote mic would probably bring out a lot more from your 5 string bass!

jthomas353
01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
That is a nice looking bass. I was thinking of getting a 5 string and liked the L-2500. Just have not pulled that rigger yet.

I have the L-2000E in pearl white, 25 years old and still thumping. I do like the 6 bolts on the neck now.

Ditto

Thanks Ditto. I did a lot of research and finally settled on the L-2500. Took a little getting used to but really liking it now. When I switch to my Ibanez, the neck feels really puny now but surprisingly after a few minutes I can play it better. I think after playing the G&L I've built up more finger strength and dexterity. If you're considering the L-2500 give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

John

Greg Jewell
01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
jthomas:

Thank you for the music and I like your style...
What no one knows is that behind the double doors are 1,200 screaming bass fans.

Ditto
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
If I get one, it will be a G&L or the Fender Jazz DELUXE with active. Our only G&L store is in a difficult part of downtown (tiny stip mall no parking and one way streets) So going there to just play it seems a waste of time until I am ready to drop the cash!

Ditto

Neeraj
01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Nice playing, nice bass & a nice song! Really cool :)

slejhamer
01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Well done!

barricwiley
01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Green, I am turning very green with envy!
Great playing & sounded terrific.
Richard

jthomas353
01-17-2011, 07:04 PM
jthomas:

Thank you for the music and I like your style...
What no one knows is that behind the double doors are 1,200 screaming bass fans.

Thanks Greg. My pleasure. Hope to have another one posted in the next couple of weeks or so.

Bassix
01-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks. The timing was tough on this one at 115 BPM with no breaks but it was a fun song to play.

I used my Sony Handycam HDR-SR1 with the built in mic. It's not the best sound and I'm looking for an external microphone for it. I've narrowed it down to either a Rode Videomic or Azden SGM-1X. I'm leaning towards the Rode as the frequency range goes from 40Hz to 20kHz. That should be enough to get the low B-string thump. ;)

John

No worries, John. That IS fast and you pretty much nailed it. Btw, I've seen a lot of good reviews on that Rode mic; it should handle the low freqs without a problem and let your bass be a little more out front. It seems that a lot of the built-in mics don't don't have much sensitivity below 80-100 Hz. I guess the camcorder manufacturers don't realize that bassists gotta communicate! :)

TLDTR
01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I LOVE the bass line from Lady Madonna. (Try singing while playing it!) Well done! Now, on to Penny Lane....
Ed.

jthomas353
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Ed, been working on Penny Lane for a looooooong time. It's a tough song to nail down but hope to get it soon. As for the singing, not going to happen (at least not on video). ;)

Bassic Bill
02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Okay, I really want to see this clip but I don't have enough posts to enable the link...this one ought to do it. Thanks for the opportunity, John!

Bassic Bill
02-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks Cedric. I bought my first bass on Jan. 28th 2010 so I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary of bass playing. Once you get over the "hump" things get easier and easier. Keep on playing.

John
Thank you for the clip! Great stuff.

I wanted to ask how long you have been playing as well...no need now! But I DO need to ask where the "hump" is?

Bill

jthomas353
02-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi Bill,

I think the "hump" really is different for everyone depending on your past musical experience and your commitment to learning the bass. Of course the time you put in learning and practicing play a big part in when the hump is reached. Also, there are many humps to come as well. This first hump for me was having enough confidence in my playing ability to actually post a video.

I don't have the time or inclination to become a "pro" player but my eventual goal is to play with my church band. They are all very, very accomplished musicians; and for me, that would be the final and ultimate hump to overcome.

John

line6bassman
02-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi Bill,

I don't have the time or inclination to become a "pro" player but my eventual goal is to play with my church band. They are all very, very accomplished musicians; and for me, that would be the final and ultimate hump to overcome.

John

I'll be watching for that church band thing!! I'm pulling for you on that one!!

line6bassman

jthomas353
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks line6bassman. I'll definitely let the folks here know when that day finally arrives. :D

derecola
03-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Great job I have always been a big Beatles fan.

Chris Howard
04-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Looks Fun! Congrats:cool:!