PDA

View Full Version : Skin DEEP 5

Elmeaux
01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen!!

Ding Ding Ding!!

Let’s Get Ready To RRRRRRRUMBLE!!!!!

After four (allegedly) grueling rounds of battle, the Fender Jazz remains the undefeated beauty of Skin DEEP.

Yessirrree, our friend Jazzy seems to be a favourite among Thunder Row voters.

But how well will he do against this gorgeous Thunder Machine?

This week, Skin DEEP is proud to present a real prima donna. This awesome bass needs to be seen close up to be appreciated.

In the Black corner, the reigning Champion...The Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass.

And in the White corner, the new challenger...the Gretsch White Falcon.

Cast your vote NOW!!!

- just click for a closer look -

TobiasMan
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM
The Gretch . . . . classic, hollow body, symetrical look

The Fender Jazz . . . . classic, solid body, asymetrical look

Hmmmm . . . . gotta sleep (think) cogitate on this ;)

line6bassman
01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIlKmwKd_NM
$2,650.00 selling on ebay!!
$3,299.99- Guitar Center!!

WOW!!!

Now you got my interest!! I sold a White Jazz Guitar that looked something like that a while back ago, I love WHITE!! Just can't seem to find any demos on the sound right now. And at that price, I'm not sold yet over Jazz. But looks, I leaning over Jazz mountain.
My friend in our new band is playing my white Jazz I sold him, so I'm going to think about this one just a little bit longer. Now!! if I had to go with looks alone, I might go against the Jazz, we'll see.

line6bassman

stantonl
01-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Have to go with the Jazz on this one. The Gretsch sure is pretty and looks cool, I wonder how it sounds.

slejhamer
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
I totally love Gretsch electric guitars, but that bass reminds me of Elvis in a white jumpsuit (http://www.google.com/images?q=elvis+in+white+jumpsuit&biw=1680&bih=870).

Jazz for the win.

barricwiley
01-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I LOVE the whites also, but, Jazz.

Ditto
01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIlKmwKd_NM
$2,650.00 selling on ebay!!
$3,299.99- Guitar Center!!

WOW!!!

Now you got my interest!! I sold a White Jazz Guitar that looked something like that a while back ago, I love WHITE!! Just can't seem to find any demos on the sound right now. And at that price, I'm not sold yet over Jazz. But looks, I leaning over Jazz mountain.
My friend in our new band is playing my white Jazz I sold him, so I'm going to think about this one just a little bit longer. Now!! if I had to go with looks alone, I might go against the Jazz, we'll see.

line6bassman

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/30th_Anniversary/L2000/enlarge.asp

You like WHITE! I love this white one and if I had the money to spare would get this!

Ditto

line6bassman
01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/30th_Anniversary/L2000/enlarge.asp

You like WHITE! I love this white one and if I had the money to spare would get this!

Ditto

Yep!! If I had the money I would buy it for looks alone!! I sure wish I could find on net what it sounds like, but that doesn't seem like that's happening at this time. But it sure is a cool looking bass!!

line6bassman

PS. Since I don't know what it sounds like I'm leaning toward Jazz because of the way it sounds recorded why's. I know what it sounds like. When my Jazz is recorded, the famous sound jumps out at you and you say, WOW!! IS THAT MY BASS??
WOW!! Again, I think I just decided!!

line6bassman

Elmeaux
02-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Yes, well...ahem...we're supposed to be voting based on LOOKS alone. :p:p

SilverFlame46
02-01-2011, 07:02 AM

I was wondering if the rules had changed and we were now voting on more than looks. OK, with no rules change I have to go with the Gretsch White Falcon. It's a looker!!!

Ditto
02-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I have to vote for the 30th anniversary G&L then...............

Oh wait, it is not in the comp...

I still like the JAZZ. Not a fan of the open body stuff.

Ditto

jthomas353
02-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, I've complained on previous basses how knobs and switches appeared to be placed willy-nilly all over the body. Not so on the Gretsch, it looks very tastefully done and does not detract from it's good looks. The body shape, the f-holes, the gold hardware, the neck with fret markers on the edge, the cool looking strap pins, the bridge hardware, the matching body/headstock design all combine to create a work of art. So, as much as I like the Jazz, on looks alone I have to cast my vote this week for the Gretsch.

John

line6bassman
02-01-2011, 09:56 AM

For some reason, I just can't judge a book by it's cover ( color ) and for some reason I don't have my white Jazz Guitar that looked like that White Bass, but I have my Jazz!!
But I have been, even though I love my Fender AS Jazz, I've been contemplating on selling it due to having my line 6 5 string bass that has everything from all the Fender Jazz basses, Jaco Fret less, upright, deluxe Jazz, RickBach, Walwick, and on and on!!
I don't think I would take less then $750 for!! I did see someone on ebay sell the same bass for $950 final price. I'm also thinking on doing when I have time, doing a comparison recording on my Jazz to the line6 bass set on the same Jazz setting and putting the mp3 up on TR. Might be kinda fun!!

line6bassman

Elmeaux
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
For some reason, I just can't judge a book by it's cover line6bassman

Shuuuure you can. We do it all the time when we see a snazzy car drive by. We don't always know what's going on with how it works. We just know it looks like a dream. Take the Chrysler mini-van for example...(heh heh)

Skin DEEP is about OUTER beauty. A tribute to the designers, as it were.

Good luck with your Jazz selling! Get what you can!!

TobiasMan
02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
On looks alone! The Gretsch :p

Elmeaux
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
There's a feature on the Gretsch that can't be seen well in the original picture.

Normally, I wouldn't do this unless I was to feature a special pic of BOTH competitors, but since more people are already familiar with how the Jazz looks close up, I figured this would be okay.

I just wanted you to see this - I think these string guides are pretty cool...you adjust the string height with a screwdriver in the posts on either side.

If you click on the pic twice more after the thumbnail opens up, it will bring it in for a close-up...

TobiasMan
02-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey now Elmeaux,
You said that this was based on looks alone - none of that "technical" stuff, eh? ;)

:D

Elmeaux
02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
You're right. I was almost going to mention that if you also--

Oops...never mind... :p

jthomas353
02-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Wow! A tie. Elmeaux, you may get to use your tie-breaker vote on this one.

Elmeaux
02-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Exactly, so get your votes in now, Members!

Beauty is Skin DEEP!

Which bass catches your eye? Turns your head?

TobiasMan
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
OK. Can I vote again? ;)

Elmeaux
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Sorry. One vote per customer. :cool:

Elmeaux
02-03-2011, 06:43 PM
If you're new to TR, now's your chance to be heard!!

We've got a real battle going here this week!! The Jazz has once again taken the lead.

Skin DEEP is the game of OUTER beauty. Take a look at the two candidates and vote for the one you think has the better look.

The winner will face a new challenger next week.

Cast your vote now!!!

TobiasMan
02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Sorry. One vote per customer. :cool:

Rats!!!! :mad:

Well, I tried. ;)

Elmeaux
02-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Technically, I could reset the entire poll vote back to ZERO, but then everybody would have to vote again.

I think I'd only do that if there was some kind of unanimous request to do a Start-Over.

:eek:

slejhamer
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Not as long as the jazz wins!

Pointbass
02-04-2011, 01:54 PM
That Gretsch is absolutely beautiful :cool:

Elmeaux
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Yes, I know...but she's having a rough go of it against the perennial fave.

Get your votes in now!!

Do you want to de-throne the Fender Jazz?

...or...

Do you think the Jazz is the most beautiful bass in the world (so far)?

PM your fellow members!! Drag them to the polls!!

Ditto
02-04-2011, 07:09 PM
:p LOL I think that was funny

Yes, I know...but she's having a rough go of it against the perennial fave.

Get your votes in now!!

Do you want to de-throne the Fender Jazz?

...or...

Do you think the Jazz is the most beautiful bass in the world (so far)?

PM your fellow members!! Drag them to the polls!!

Elmeaux
02-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Voter tampering? Moi?

A chad has never been dangled in the name of bass beauty. :cool:

Elmeaux
02-06-2011, 12:36 PM
24 hours left before the polls close!!!

Let's get busy...all you newbs who've earned your right to vote.

;);););)

Bassic Bill
02-06-2011, 12:46 PM
That Gretsch is gorgeous for sure, but the white just doesn't work for me. Fender Jazz got my vote.