PDA

View Full Version : Kit and Kaboodle

Elmeaux
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
You can view the page at http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?552-Kit-and-Kaboodle

TLDTR
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Great article, Elmeaux! I think parents of young would-be bass-players, especially, will find this most helpful. And you're right, that's a great deal on a great package. NOTE TO PARENTS AND BEGINNERS: Spare your young would-be musician the frustration of starting off with substandard or defective equipment. Do it right, with a good, solid, reputable kit like this then, if junior gives up the instrument in favor of, say, girls, football, or bull-riding, you can always recoup the bulk of your investment by re-selling the kit (something you might not have much success doing with cheap gear.)
Just a thought,
Ed.

Incidentally, the term Kit and Kaboodle is 19th century U.K. for Gear and Booty. Burglars called their satchel of housebreaking equipment their Kit. "Boodle" comes from the Dutch "Bootle" meaning Booty or ill-gotten gains. Hence, if a crook got away from a job with both his gear and a reasonable amount of household silver or whatever, he had the "whole kit-and-kaboodle." (I don't know where the "ka" before "boodle" came from, perhaps it just scans better.)

Elmeaux
02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
You're right. Kit and Boodle sounds too much like "kitten boodle", which brings up unpleasant connotations of a different nature...

:p

TLDTR
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Yeah. I've cleaned up after kitten kaboodle. Totally different thing...

Bassic Bill
02-06-2011, 01:01 AM
My wife, upon my exposing her to my very long-term fantasy of playing Bass, gifted me with a starter pack at Christmas. Actually what she gave me was a promise to purchase whatever I wanted...she wasn't going to buy something as personal as an outfit for me. We went shopping on Boxing Day...only one LMS open and they had an assortment of maybe 6 makes & models. The salesman, once he determined that I was completely undecided, suggested the "pack" they were featuring on sale. I got a Peavey pack that came with pretty much everthing I needed including a Milestone Guitar, 12 Watt 'bedroom' amp and other stuff (everything except a guitar stand, which I purchased a couple days later.) I also picked up a set of strap locks because I rapidly became frustrated with my strap falling off.

I am really happy with my rig at this point and wife has promised that if I need to upgrade in a year or so, there is no reason why I shouldn't. This woman is a keeper!

Elmeaux
02-06-2011, 03:24 AM
This is the good thing about kits. If you're not sure you'll still be interested in playing a year down the road, the last thing you should do is buy some fancy $2000.00 bass that's going to end up languishing in the closet.

You could sell it, but then you might be sad that you didn't keep it to try again later.

Starter kits get you going so you can test the waters without breaking the bank. And if it does languish in the closet a while, it's no extreme loss. When you're ready to get back to it, you can simply un-languish it. :rolleyes:

Some music stores take trades too, so upgrading to better gear along the way will be an option. When I upgraded to my Rumble amp, I got a hundred bucks off the price from a trade in on my Roland amp.

SilverFlame46
02-06-2011, 06:38 AM
This woman is a keeper!

Congratulation, Basic Bill. And you are correct, Your wife is a keeper!!!