PDA

View Full Version : Skin DEEP 6

Elmeaux
02-07-2011, 10:17 AM
For a while there, it looked as though the Gretsch White Falcon was going to muscle out the champion
while wearing a striking gold-trimmed Elvis jumpsuit, but at the last minute, the
Fender Jazz fans stepped up and drove their fave bass across the finish line in a solid 10-7 victory.

Is the Fender Jazz truly the most beautiful bass in the world?

Let’s see what the voters have to say this week.

By request, Thunder Row is proud to present this week’s brave challenger.

Going up against the Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass...

The Musicman Stingray HH-5 Bass.

Beautiful clear maple finish and simple, clean lines make this a worthy heir to the throne.

But getting there will be a challenge!

Will the Stingray HH-5 snatch the crown from off the head of this Black Beauty?

Remember, newcomers, that you have to have a minimum number of forum posts
before you can vote, so get posting, and then get voting!!

And remember that Skin DEEP is a game of LOOKS.
This is where we pay homage to the designers of these mighty thunder machines.

Gentlemen, start your engines!!

- just click for a closer look -

552 553

The Fender American Deluxe Jazz versus The Musicman Stingray HH-5

jthomas353
02-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Wow! Like them both. This one will take some mulling over to decide.

slejhamer
02-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Stingray = the Jazz Evolved. (And a Leo Fender creation, of course!)

'Ray for the win!!!

:cool:

SilverFlame46
02-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Got to think about this one for awhile.
However, Elmeaux, what did you do to the font size, us OLD GUYS can hardly read this!!!

Elmeaux
02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I tried to embiggen the font once already...hang on. I'll grow it some more.

Bassic Bill
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
embiggen
I so love technical terms!

TobiasMan
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Now this one is closer . . .

I think I gotta sleep on it. :cool:

Ditto
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
To answer the question about the crown.

I have never been a fan of the natural wood look on anything but furniture. Although My BASS does sit out in my man cave, it is not furniture! I still like the lines of the jazz better and with just the right amount of chrome to accent it's features.

Going with the JAZZ again.

See if you had put the 30th anniversary G&L up there, we would have a FIGHT going on right now!

Ditto

Elmeaux
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
See if you had put the 30th anniversary G&L up there, we would have a FIGHT going on right now!

The white frost model? Is that a request? We do requests...

line6bassman
02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Jazz by a mile!!! Looks alone!!! OK, not that this has anything to do with looks, but has anybody ever played one of these?? I've played these in the music store and the first thing that struck me about them was the Power kicking sound from The Musicman Stingray basses. Anyone else notice this?

line6bassman

Elmeaux
02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I have never been a fan of the natural wood look on anything but furniture.

I dunno...it kinda reminds me of caramel or butterscotch...

Mmmmmmm...buuuutterscotch....

SilverFlame46
02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I so love technical terms!

Yep, and Elemaux has all of them down pat. Oh, by the way Elmeaux, thanks for embiggening the font. It worked!!!

Elmeaux
02-07-2011, 07:26 PM
We aim to please...:p

Elmeaux
02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
has anybody ever played one of these?? I've played these in the music store and the first thing that struck me about them was the Power kicking sound from The Musicman Stingray basses. Anyone else notice this?

Nope...never had the pleasure...looks like she packs a wallop, though...

Ditto
02-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I have a freind who has one. The sound comes from the dual coil Humbucker pick ups. There is a switch that you can set them up in series and that REALLY PUNCHES!

There were things that Mr. Fender did not like about his Music Man design and he fixed all of those when he started G&L. He still went with the Dual Humbuckers and added ACTIVE electronics with the pre amp built in.

Yes I think the Frost 30th Anniversary G&L will give the Fender a RUN!

Ditto

line6bassman
02-07-2011, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgsrvD14wk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJN72FvjST0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwJz_KRlW8
Ed Friedland
line6bassman

But theirs always the 50th Jazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQNM-Whctd4&feature=fvw

Ditto
02-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Notice on the third video he went with a TUBE amp set up and the difference in the PUNCH! "Amplification is everything"

I like the Jazz duh, I have one, but the way they did the FROST G&L with the headstock matching like the 50th Jazz is just beautifull! I also like the fact that the G&L does not have a pick guard. I love that clean look about it. I have to put up a pic of my G&L I guess.

Ditto

TobiasMan
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
. . . I've played these in the music store and the first thing that struck me about them was the Power kicking sound from The Musicman Stingray basses. Anyone else notice this?

line6bassman

May have something to do with the massive PUPs on the Musicman.

Elmeaux
02-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Oooh, we're currently sitting with a tie.

Keep the votes coming, Members. We've had a request for a special 50th anniversary competitor next week. Will it go up against the Jazz or the Stingray??

It's up to you...

...or up to me if we don't break the tie... :rolleyes::cool:

SilverFlame46
02-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Had to go with The Fender American Deluxe Jazz!!!

Pointbass
02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Had to go with the Fender here .... never been a big EBMM fan, the basses just don't have the right feel for me. But they are well constructed and do sound nice ... :cool:

slejhamer
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I've played these in the music store and the first thing that struck me about them was the Power kicking sound from The Musicman Stingray basses. Anyone else notice this?

I have the MM Sterling, a slightly smaller-bodied version of the Stingray. Had it out last night at church; first time playing bass in months. Running through a VT Bass pedal (Ampeg tube amp emulator) into the house, with a little Genz Benz 50 watt amp as my monitor.

"Power kicking" is right, or as I prefer, "punchy as hell breaking loose." Very aggressive sound, gobs of thick midrange that hit you in the gut like Mike Tyson's fist. I really have to watch my playing dynamics on slower songs. ;)

And the 'Ray is even more powerful. The classic Stingray sound, imho, is John Deacon's bass on Queen's Another One Bites the Dust. Like a P-bass on steroids!

And to clarify Ditto's comment, the original Stingray had passive pickups but always had an active preamp. Leo Fender did make other refinements/improvements at G&L though. :cool: