PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

Elmeaux
02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
:)

I've kinda zeroed in on my next bass. Something retro...reminds me of the Jaguar bass.

It might be a couple of months before I can get it, but here she is...

The white Ibanez Jet King...

What do you think?

TobiasMan
02-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Passive bass with three pickups and three switches, mahogany body and maple neck!

You'll have lots of fun seeing what that one can do, Elmeaux. :D

Good luck with it. ;)

Elmeaux
02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
You'll have lots of fun seeing what that one can do

Don't I know it. I'm all over this one because of the tonal possibilities.

Hmmm...and I think this one will have the GREEN neon strings...or maybe blue...

SilverFlame46
02-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't I know it. I'm all over this one because of the tonal possibilities.

Hmmm...and I think this one will have the GREEN neon strings...or maybe blue...

Nice looking bass, Elmeaux. Personally, I think the BLUE strings would look better on this bass. Let us know when you get it!!!

Elmeaux
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Let us know when you get it!!!

I think this will be my reward for my one-year anniversary of getting the TMBG course, which will be in April.

One year coming and I'm on Lesson 7 - is that about right for pacing, do you think? Sometimes I feel as if I'm behind the pace I wanted to set for myself.

stantonl
02-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Nice Bass Elmeaux! Lesson 7 sounds about the right place to be after a year, especially if you take the time to really absorb each lesson thoroughly :D

Bassic Bill
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Do it, Elmeaux!!!

jthomas353
02-20-2011, 11:19 PM
That I must say is a very interesting looking bass. Never heard of it before. I thought I had seen all the Ibanez basses. Hmmm.

Elmeaux
02-21-2011, 01:41 AM
That I must say is a very interesting looking bass. Never heard of it before. I thought I had seen all the Ibanez basses. Hmmm.

Apparently, she's a fairly new design. There was a previous model - the JTKB200 with only TWO pups and no ON/OFF switches for them. Now they've come out with this new version - the JTKB300 with the three pups and the switches - a la the Jaguar bass. The JTKB300 comes only in white, which is yummy-fine by me!!

Of all the reviews I've read, she's getting a lot of attention. The price at the music store across the street is $389.98. It's no $1500.00 Jazz bass or G&L, (or $19,000.00 Alembic) but she's an Ibanez, which I like, and she's got the 40mm neck width at the nut - same as my current Ibanez.

Medium priced and purty as all get out.

http://www.questmusicstore.com/p-28575-ibanez-jtkb300wh-jtkb300wh-jet-king-electric-bass-guitar-white-4-string.aspx

Here's a vid of her older sibling - the JTKB200 - couldn't find a vid of the white one. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLDAC8RSgY&NR=1

SilverFlame46
02-21-2011, 06:38 AM
I think this will be my reward for my one-year anniversary of getting the TMBG course, which will be in April.

One year coming and I'm on Lesson 7 - is that about right for pacing, do you think? Sometimes I feel as if I'm behind the pace I wanted to set for myself.

Yep, April is my one-year anniversary also. In fact, I think we joined Thunder Row together on the same day last year if I can recall correctly. As for your pace, remember Roy has said in the past that he designed the course for college and it should take the average person 18 months to three years to complete depending on the individual. I am on Lesson 5, however I took about three months off from the TMBG Lessons to work on my sight-reading and I'm pacing myself to take the full three years to complete the course as I am in no hurry. So don't worry about if you are ahead or behind others (I don't) as YOUR pace is right for YOU!!!

Pointbass
02-21-2011, 09:33 AM
That bass is very, very cool! Not sure if I'd like it in anything other than the white :cool:

jthomas353
02-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Elmeaux,

SilverFlame hit it right on. I think everyone sets their own pace. I got the course in Sept. and made it through Lesson 3 then took time off to work on sightreading, scales, modes etc. so I can get away from TABS. I'll probably jump back into the lessons in another month or so and hopefully be able to progress at a good clip then.

I had a quick chat with our lead bass player at church yesterday. Come to find out that they don't play from bass sheet music, rather they have regular music with the chords marked out. They use the chords to improvise, basically root, 3,5 and other notes sprinkled in where appropriate. So it turns out learning scales and modes will definitely help out when the time comes.

So I think whatever your goals are will dictate your pace in the lessons. If I take 3 years to finish I'm fine with that. Sounds like you're moving along at a good pace. Looking forward to your phone poles video. ;);)

Elmeaux
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Yep, April is my one-year anniversary also. In fact, I think we joined Thunder Row together on the same day last year if I can recall correctly.

Yep...we joined on the same day...you at 11ish in the morning and me at 11ish later that night. :cool:

SilverFlame46
02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Yep...we joined on the same day...you at 11ish in the morning and me at 11ish later that night. :cool:

I've always heard, great minds think alike!!! LOL:D

TLDTR
02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Ralph's protestations that - "if I had hands - I'd have finished the course in 21 days. Tops," and would "already be half-way through "Teach Me Bassoon!" notwithstanding, Roy says you guys are proceeding right on schedule. There are three milestones in the course; the first is Lesson 7. Those who make it that far are serious about learning bass, and odds are, they'll succeed. The second is Lesson 14. The ones who make it that far are determined to become well-rounded musicians, and they WILL succeed. The last, of course, is Lesson 20; The End! The folks who make it that far demonstrate the ability to master whatever obstacles might come between them and their goals.
Wherever you are, as long as your pressing on, having fun, and practicing what you learn, you're to be commended.
Well done!
Ed.

c-note
02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm still contemplating a 6s any ideas

Elmeaux
02-21-2011, 07:44 PM
The Fender VI bass is purty...

I don't think they make them anymore, so USED might be your only option on this one.

...and speaking of John Entwhistle...he played one every once in awhile...

Roy
02-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Speaking of 3 pickup basses, Canada's own Godin makes a pretty cool 3 pickup instrument. I tried one of these out in Nashville and was suitably impressed.
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinshifterbassp.htm

Elmeaux
02-22-2011, 02:51 AM
I wonder why the bridge pickup would be cranked over on an angle like that...:confused:

Arnisdaddy
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
I too am a big fan of Ibanez. Got a 5 stringer and a 4. I'm glad you posted that pic. I hadn't heard of that model yet and I'm in the market for a new 4 string. I'll look into it. Thanks!!!:rolleyes:

Elmeaux
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I have yet to stand in the same room as this wonderful ax, so if you get one (or even just try one out in the music store), I'd love to hear he lowdown on its actual feel and performance. :cool:

PS...if you can, check out the Ibanez Attack bass (ATK series). See it in this week's Skin DEEP II. I'd love your opinion on that one too.

Elmeaux
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Looking forward to your phone poles video.

It'll be awhile. :rolleyes: But I DO hope to be able to do that in the future.

I transposed the song from D-G-A to A-D-E so I could practice it on the lower frets. I want to get comfy with the notes/finger positioning before I move it up to the nosebleed section.

When I first started practicing it, I found the upper decks too tightly spaced for me. For this ol' scatterbrain, it was jumbling my concentration - trying to master the notes at the same time as trying to squeeze my fingers into those tight spaces. I was getting frustrated. So I decided to divide the learning into two more managable stages - first learn the notes, then take them to the upper decks.

Also, transposing is a really great way to reinforce my understanding of the fretboard.

So...er...right now, it's just called "Funky" because I'm not in the phonepoles.

Yet.

Elmeaux
03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I just went and put a deposit on a special order for the Jet King. It's going to be several weeks before it comes in, so I have some waiting time ahead of me.

<ahem> I've decided on a name. The JTK will be named...

:::drumroll:::

Thunder-Cloud

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bassic Bill
03-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Commitment! Congratulations on increasing both the enjoyment and stress levels in your life, Elmeaux!

Thunder Cloud. It works, eh?

SilverFlame46
03-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Way to go Elmo. Great name. Can't wait for photos when it arrives!!!

Elmeaux
03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Thunder Cloud. It works, eh?

Originally, it was just going to be "Cloud" because of the whiteness and all...but then I asked myself, "What's the best kind of cloud in the whole world?"

The answer was obvious.

:::insert rolling thunder:::

derecola
03-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Nice ride, I belive may next bass is going to be a Fender mustang bass.

Elmeaux
03-17-2011, 04:23 PM
She's a short scale, ain't she? I've always wondered if I'd do better with a short scale...