PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Travelling

Bassic Bill
02-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Here's a question - has anyone experienced issues with freezing their Bass gear while travelling on the road in the winter? Many years ago I had a (cheap) acoustic 6 string guitar. Went to bed one night...the heater in our apartment ran out of fuel and it got cold. Laying in bed I began to hear odd noises from the living room. They got louder and louder. When I got up to check it out I found that my guitar was self destructing and before I could do anything about it, the strings had contracted so much that the neck was literally torn off the body. End of cheap guitar.

I travel LOTS for work now and I'm taking my Bass along so that I can practice in my hotel rooms in the evenings. Before packing it in the gig-bag, I back the strings off a bunch of turns in order to prevent a similar incident. I suspect that the Bass strings are more robust than the cheapies I had on that old 6 string but just the same, I don't want to screw up my guitar.

So...am I just paranoid or does anyone else have similar experiences? Are there any other things I should know about transporting my gear?

jthomas353
02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Bill,

Besides what you mentioned all I can suggest is avoiding quick extreme temperature changes. My daughter plays violin and uses a wick stick to keep some moisture in the case, especially when traveling to a hot, dry place to avoid cracking. Not sure what else for bass. Maybe Roy will have some suggestions since he travels quite a bit.

Elmeaux
02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
...and don't forget...basses sold in Canada come with block heaters.:p

Heh heh...j/k....backing off the string tension seems a good plan. Other than that, my babies don't leave the house that often, and when they do, it's a quick trip from here to there so I've never had any cold weather issues.

I too once owned an acoustic 6-string guitar - so cheap that the bridge separated from the body - but that was just because of how stupidly cheap it was - the tension was too much for the Elmer's glue that was holding the bridge on...:rolleyes:

TobiasMan
02-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Reducing string tension is a good idea, especially if the instrument is likely to get cold! And always give it time to warm up before you play. Good plan with your amp as well. When they are cold and brought into a warm location, the first thing that happens is the formation of condensation all over the cold amp parts. Let that warm and evaporate before firing them up.

I have my original 6 string classical accoustic from, hmmm, 1963. It's been all over the place in a cheap, cardboard type case and other than a lot of scratches and marks in the finish, still plays fine. I can't remember the brand, but it cost about $150 in '63, so I guess in the big picture, wasn't a cheapie.

Need to get it out again. Haven't played it in a long time. :)

Bassic Bill
02-21-2011, 10:41 AM
...and don't forget...basses sold in Canada come with block heaters.:p
;) Block Heater...that's what I call my toque!

Bassic Bill
02-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Reducing string tension is a good idea, especially if the instrument is likely to get cold! And always give it time to warm up before you play. Good plan with your amp as well. When they are cold and brought into a warm location, the first thing that happens is the formation of condensation all over the cold amp parts. Let that warm and evaporate before firing them up.

I have my original 6 string classical accoustic from, hmmm, 1963. It's been all over the place in a cheap, cardboard type case and other than a lot of scratches and marks in the finish, still plays fine. I can't remember the brand, but it cost about $150 in '63, so I guess in the big picture, wasn't a cheapie.

Need to get it out again. Haven't played it in a long time. :)
I seem to recall paying $50 for that guitar (new). It wasn't a great loss but the experience certainly captured my attention!

It DOES get cold. Last trip was @ around -35C and the gear had to sit in the car all day and yep, I let it warm up and 'dry out' before lighting it up.

Elmeaux
02-21-2011, 12:01 PM
;) Block Heater...that's what I call my toque!

I'll bet you have a Beardo Toque...:cool::cool:

http://www.beardowear.ca/

TobiasMan
02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
I do need a toque (actually a black, wool watchcap) for my shaved head, but I wear my own, built-in Beardo-toque. ;)

Been doing that since 1968. :D

Bassic Bill
02-21-2011, 06:18 PM
I just have the block heater type...

Ditto
02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
There is a Reggee band that just finished a East Coast tour during that blizzard that just happned. I asked them about the equipment as they carried it all in a trailer behind a van from Santa Monica California to Florida and up the east coast. They said the van died but the equipmant was fine!