PDA

View Full Version : Wireless

Elmeaux
02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Anybody on a wireless system?

Maybe you're just thinking of going wireless.

Check out the AKG WMS 450 wireless unit. Seems to be priced around $400.00, so
it seems more geared for pros, but we all love our toys, so...

LOL...if I brought one of these into my apartment, I think it would short out
every wireless internet connection in the building!!

Serious gear.

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1033,pid,1033,nodeid,2,_language,EN. html

SilverFlame46
02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
No wireless equipment here, and I don't think I would go wireless unless I turned pro. Don't think that will happen so a high quality cable is all I'm interested in!!!

TobiasMan
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I have two of the X2 XDS95 wireless transmitter/receiver rigs. I use them when we don't have a soundperson and I have to trip back to the soundboard to do tweaks.

If there is a soundperson running the board, I often just plug in a cable to avoid unnecessary battery costs.

I typically use both my Tobias and MTD basses and connect a transmitter to each one, and simply tune them to the same frequency as the single receiver I have connected to my amp. To switch basses, I mute, turn off the transmitter, change basses and fire up the new transmitter, unmute and play. Seamless and no wires! The transmitters run on 9v batteries and I find that a new battery will last for an entire gig and normally the next practice. I just plug in a new battery for each gig. The receiver is powered by an appropriately spec'd wall wart.

Sound is great. I have not noticed any loss of signal or tone using them, nor have any of the soundguys who've used the DI signal from my gear. I know I have signal from as far away as 80' (which was actually outside the rear door of the auditorium and down the hall a ways - the doors had to be open though or the signal dies). I suspect that if the hall was bigger, I could get over 100' of distance. I don't normally wander around, but it sure is easier to go back to do a tweak on the board and not miss a beat in the practice.

I think the last one I bought was just under $200, just as Line 6 brought out their new, more expensive models. ;)