PDA

View Full Version : Just wanna say hi and glad to be here

Mitchell
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I just received TMBG a couple days ago and the first thing I learned was quite amazing. I am VERY left handed but it seems I am not so with a bass. Thankfully I just purchased my lefty Fender Jazz Bass a couple weeks ago and the store is cool with letting me exchange it. I'm just curious now if anyone else has run into this? I really look forward to learning the bass and getting to know some folks along the way.

SilverFlame46
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Mitchell. Glad to have you as part of our family. Good luck with your lessons and above all make sure you have FUN. Can't help you on the lefty thing as I'm a righty all the way!!!

TobiasMan
03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Welcome Mitchell.

You'll enjoy TMBG - a lot.

I think there are quite a number of people that "flip hands" depending on what they do. I'm mostly right handed, but I shovel snow and play hockey left handed. I bat either way. :D

Elmeaux
03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Welcome, Mitchell. Glad to have you with us!!

TK4261
03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi & welcome Mitchell,
I to am Left handed but taught myself to play right handed. Taking Piano lessons as a kid probably helped the learning curve a little. :cool:

Deluge
03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
I just received TMBG a couple days ago and the first thing I learned was quite amazing. I am VERY left handed but it seems I am not so with a bass. Thankfully I just purchased my lefty Fender Jazz Bass a couple weeks ago and the store is cool with letting me exchange it. I'm just curious now if anyone else has run into this? I really look forward to learning the bass and getting to know some folks along the way.

Interesting. So is it because you find it easier to fret with your left hand? I had always wondered about that, if I had started out fretting with right (right handed), would it have seemed more natural...

Mitchell
03-03-2011, 05:27 AM
I'm picking up my new bass after work today. I will definately keep posting my progress. Thanks to everyone for the great replys and making me feel so welcome!

jthomas353
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi Mitchell,

Welcome to TR and TMBG. I'm kind of mixed up on left/right hand. Some things I can only do left or right hand, other things like hammering, bowling, etc. I can do with either hand. As for bass, right handed only. Best of luck to you in your bass playing.

John

Elmeaux
03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Right handed bass player. :cool:

Left handed computer mouse user. :cool:

TLDTR
03-03-2011, 10:56 AM
A hearty welcome from all of us at The Learning Dock. We have a number of lefties among us, some have "gone over to the dark side," others - through long experience, I suppose - have no difficulty mentally mirroring the lessons. In any case, they seem to be managing pretty well.
Good to have you with us!
Ed. (Editor)

Mitchell
03-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I spent a couple hours in the store last night playing everything I could get my hands on. I ended up leaving with the Warwick Corvette Rockbass. It was light and extremely comfortable. I look forward to starting my lessons after work today!! Blessings to the community!!

debitcred1
03-04-2011, 01:09 PM

I too am left handed, except for Bass and shooting. I didn't even try left handed bass, I sort of assumed that using my 'good' hand for fretting would be a plus. Shooting was because I got tired of seeing shells eject in front of my face shooting left handed :)

good luck

Elmeaux
03-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I spent a couple hours in the store last night playing everything I could get my hands on. I ended up leaving with the Warwick Corvette Rockbass. It was light and extremely comfortable. I look forward to starting my lessons after work today!! Blessings to the community!!

Yummy. I assume we'll be seeing some pix soon. ;)

Greg Jewell
03-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Mitchell:

No worries...as long as you learn to play to your expectations. Welcome to your undergrad study of bass.

Right hand bass
Left hand hockey

Go figure.

Ralph
03-05-2011, 12:31 PM
... I'd pass a law banning Lefties. Righties, too, for that matter! What's so great about hands and opposable thumbs!? I play bass fine without 'em. One day I'm going to come out with TMBG for SP's (Spherical People) THEN you'll hear some thunder!
Sir Ralph