PDA

View Full Version : Looking !!! Acoustic bass guitar

Ctbass&birdsong
03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Trying to find a good used acoustic bass guitar for 150...any feelers ....:)

FeltFedora
03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Maybe its just me. Take this fwiw cause I am still a novice and you have way more experience than I do. But my experience is every one I have tried sucked. If it was a less expensive Ibanez the neck felt like a plastic toy. I tried a nicer Fender and it was just not comfortable. I was thinking of getting one at one time to keep with me nearby while in my living room. Just too bulky.

Actually I think they are a bit of a marketing scam from the MTV Unplugged days. I mean you really can't play live with them without amplification like you can an acoustic guitar. The low notes just require an instrument to move more air than what the bodies are able to do. The manufactures are tapping into the whole hip acoustic thing knowing its not built to truly be acoustic.

Depends what you want it for I guess.. if its for just practice on the couch. I would just use my electric bass and a small headphones amp that plus into your jack. I tried the one by VOX and it worked great. Well so much for answering your question. This was likely ill informed and zero help.

I never real stepped foot in a pawn shop until the music bug hit. Now I keep an eye on their stock. Both ones in my area always seem to have 2 or 3 acoustic bases hanging on the wall for that price range. Probably similar down your way I would think.

domin8r28
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I bought a Galveston Acoustic/Electric 4 string a few years back for around $200. It sounds great and stays in tune pretty good.

Greg Jewell
05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Gold Tone, known for their quality banjos, makes an acoustic bass that should fall near your price range in the resale market.

PaulUK
06-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I got a used (perfect) Shine for about $160. With a new set of strings on it, it holds its tuning and is a pleasure to just pick up and play.

Bruce Alan
06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
I used a Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless a few years back. But you're looking at $300-$500 or so used. I did enjoy it a lot, had a great amplified tone. But as FeltFedora said, pretty useless without an amp. It could not keep up volume wise in a simple bluegrass band.

Greg Jewell
06-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Check out Guitar Center's latest catalog. I think they advertised a Fender acoustic bass in your price range.

Greg