PDA

View Full Version : Memorizing the fretboard

rculver00
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Just started lesson 1 of 1. I also have the book, which at the end of the first lesson it says that I should have memorized the fretboard. The video does not demand this.

Did I miss something in the video? :confused:

Any suggestions on memorizing techniques? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

blair book
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
What helped me is going all the way up to the 12th fret like in the video, and doing it as a warm up. You will notice it gets easier and easier to do each time. Remember sharps going up, flats going down.:cool:

jthomas353
03-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Also, as you play the note, say the note name out loud. There is something about verbalizing the note name that helps you to remember them faster.

Elmeaux
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
...and make drawings. Draw a fretboard and practice placing notes.

There are also a bunch of pre-drawn charts available for download.

You may have to get to 5 posts before you can see these, so gitter done! :cool:

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?12-Resources

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?12-Resources&page=2

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?679-A-Gaggle-of-G-s

TLDTR
03-23-2011, 11:28 AM
That admonishment (to learn the names/locations of the notes on the fretboard) was added by the editor during compilation of the book. I think, from Roy's perspective, it was implied in the videos and, therefore, a given. The editor (who, incidentally is brilliant!) thought it would be a good idea to underscore the importance of this knowledge.
Ed.

rculver00
03-23-2011, 12:09 PM
I can do that easily enough, but to what degree of memorization? To "instantly know the note" or is just being able to count up or down from your closest know note enough?

Elmeaux
03-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I'd say up and back, inside and out, here and there, anywhere, anytime. :cool:

It's like learning to type without looking at the keyboard. Get your brain to know where your fingers are at all times.

You'll get better at this the more you practice.

line6bassman
03-23-2011, 08:06 PM
This is the way I know it and learned it. If you know one set of notes, the same note is the octave and 1 string up and 6 frets over for the same note. For some reason in my mind I can see the 6 frets and know where to go. So that's an easy way to look at without looking at any chart what so ever. Of course you do have to learn at lest the first set of notes from the top, and it doesn't get any easier than that for me!!

line6bassman

Elmeaux
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Or two strings up and two frets over...

Or open string and 12th fret...

Or...

Drilling on these exercises should consume you for awhile...:cool:

Grady
04-09-2011, 10:03 AM
I have found that you can do it in your mind several times a day helps. You can do it anywhere. It all takes time.

Greg Jewell
04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
The process is less daunting if you begin by learning the locations of the 7 basic notes from nut to the 12th fret: Use your own memory trigger...here's mine:

EADG
F---
-BEA (from "BEAD")
GCF- (Guys Can't Fail)
----
ADGC (All Dogs Got Class)
----
BEAD (BEAD)
CF-- (Call Fred)
--BE (Be Early)
DGCF (Dogs Gone Can't Find)
----
EADG

Worked for me...

Greg

Ralph
04-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Erstwhile Aardvarks Deceive Gorillas
Sir Ralph

Elmeaux
04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I also have a little cheat sheet of the numerical placement of each note on each string up to the twelfth fret.

(click to embiggen)

You just commit each set of four numbers to memory - almost as if it was a telephone number. What's the phone number for E? 0-7-2-9.

No sharps or flats for this one - it's based on the
KISS theory. (keep it simple, stupid) :p

Greg Jewell
04-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Re. Sir Ralph:

Was there a recent eclipse or something...?

barricwiley
04-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks, I like it!!!

I also have a little cheat sheet of the numerical placement of each note on each string up to the twelfth fret.

(click to embiggen)

You just commit each set of four numbers to memory - almost as if it was a telephone number. What's the phone number for E? 0-7-2-9.

bronsonelliott
05-02-2011, 09:23 PM

(click to embiggen)

Thank you. Very helpful.

BrianVW
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Hey, All --

To be clear, should I not proceed past Lesson 1 until I have memorized the fretboard?

Thanks,
Brian

bronsonelliott
05-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey, All --

To be clear, should I not proceed past Lesson 1 until I have memorized the fretboard?

Thanks,
Brian

Hey Brian - I'm on Lesson 1 as well and that's the assumption I'm going under. I don't think we need to be able to instantly know every possible instance of every single note within a 2 second timeframe but you should be able to easily find the E note on the G string for example with minimal thought.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But as long as we have a good working knowledge of the fretboard and continue to come back and work at it, we should be able to move on to Lesson 2.

--
Bronson

BrianVW
05-06-2011, 02:24 PM

(click to embiggen)

This is excellent -- Thanks a bunch, Elmeaux!

bronsonelliott
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I posted these links in "Lesson 1" forum but I thought I would duplicate here. These are some links that also help with memorizing the fretboard:

http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/notefinder.html
http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/supp...nderlesson.pdf

Bassic Bill
05-06-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/supp...nderlesson.pdf
This one shows up as a dead link...I suspect it's because of the shortening of the url in the post.

bronsonelliott
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Sorry about that. Let's try this one:

http://goo.gl/MauTQ

Stephen
05-12-2011, 03:58 PM
When you begin to play scales all over the fingerboard you'll start to memorize the frets. Just remember as you learn each major to play them at multiple positions because it will make things and practice much easier. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

joels84944
05-13-2011, 08:23 AM
wow...

This is what I was looking for to help me with the notes. thanks for posting this, I really appreciate it

Joel

rculver00
07-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I need 5 posts just to view attachments and links and I only have 1 so far, so here we go...

rculver00
07-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I need 5 posts just to view attachments and links and I only have 1 so far, so here we go...

rculver00
07-18-2011, 03:01 PM

rculver00
07-18-2011, 03:02 PM

JustJazz
07-19-2011, 11:02 AM
When you begin to play scales all over the fingerboard you'll start to memorize the frets. Just remember as you learn each major to play them at multiple positions because it will make things and practice much easier. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

YES YES YES! Exactly. I know this from 40+ years as a professional trombonist (AFM47 & 7 aka Local "D")

I would add that my experience is that I need to say the notes out loud when practicing the scales on my bass, especially chromatic counting as sharps going up and and flats going down. It feels a little silly when you first do it, so I always do it when I know I am alone (blush). But it does make the association stick in your head better if you say them out loud.

Elmeaux
07-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Glad to have you aboard, rculver00.

You don't have to make blank posts just to get your count up. We also encourage you to participate as a member of the family. You purchased the course. This is your forum. How are your lessons going? What are your goals?

LOL, it doesn't have to be hit and run.

Have some fun here!!

:cool:

derecola
08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
why can I not get on here?

pilmat
08-15-2011, 08:57 PM
why can I not get on here?

You need 5 posts to be able to see attachments :cool:. Two more posts to go!

Elmeaux
08-15-2011, 09:46 PM
You need 5 posts to be able to see attachments :cool:. Two more posts to go!

Derecola is a long time member whose username got lost somehow a few months ago. He has since recreated it, but is starting again from scratch. Since this is an inconvenience to one of our respected members, I have upped his listed post count to 10 so he can get back to where he was before and see everything again.

barricwiley
08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Our VIP comes through again!!

fuadramses
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips, tricks, etc. I'm new here, but I've been playing/wanting to learn to play the bass correctly for years. I finally decided I'd do it the right way.

I always got hung up on the note reading/fretboard stuff, but I'm determined not to let it intimidate me this time. So again, thanks for all of the tools!

Of course, I've still got 4 posts to go before I'm worthy to view them...

Elmeaux
08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the tips, tricks, etc. I'm new here, but I've been playing/wanting to learn to play the bass correctly for years. I finally decided I'd do it the right way.

I always got hung up on the note reading/fretboard stuff, but I'm determined not to let it intimidate me this time. So again, thanks for all of the tools!

Of course, I've still got 4 posts to go before I'm worthy to view them...

Welcome aboard Fuad! Join in and you'll have those five posts under your belt in no time!!

Bassplayer4ourGod
11-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Good advice that I have read as I am still struggling in this area.

wshelton
12-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I found an iPad app that's been extremely useful for learning fret notes... Guitar Trainer by Cat Loaf. It's great for those times when pulling out the bass isn't practical.

jk1313
01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
I drew a fretboard on a piece of paper, made several copies, and when not practicing, or just watching TV, will fill the notes in to help learn thier position. As I've gotten better the mistakes/omissions, have become fewer.

thunderman
01-17-2012, 10:08 AM
It was a great feeling when I could (finally!) play any fret at random and say the name of the note! The old gray cells feel 20 again! (Well, forty, anyway...)

hiro
02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Another method:

My guitarist friend taught me this, and seems to help me.

1. learn natural notes first . . . forget about sharps and flats because once you know the naturals, the sharps / flats are between them

2. learn one note for all 6 strings up to the 12th fret, because after 12th it repeats

3. order of learning is C B D F E G A, you can spend a few minutes out of your practice session on a note.

4. Learn all the C's for each string.

5. Once you learn all the C's then the B's because B is half step (one fret) below all the C's. If you know where C is, you know where B is.

6. Then learn D's. D's are whole steps (2 frets) higher than a C. Since you know where all the C's are, count 2 frets higher and you got D's.

7. The process repeats, for next set, F E G. To learn F E G start out with all the F's on each string within the 12 frets. First F on all strings, then E (one step below), then G (two steps higher from F).

8. A is the last, as it falls between B and G. Since you know where both is, you can find A easily. A caveat, usually most people find it easier just to count two frets up from G and call it day, but others may simply find it easier to count down from the B's.

9. Note this can be done in a few week span, spending several minutes a day to learn a new note. Once you know where all the notes are you can simply find out the flats / sharps by finding out the natural and going one-half step (fret) below. Some like B to C or E to F etc. the naturals are half steps

Elmeaux
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks, hiro! Glad to have you with us! :cool:

aksteve
02-06-2012, 11:37 PM
thanks for posting this! the order of learning is something i hadnt heard before but it makes sense!

Bassic Bill
02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Nawwww...that won't work, Hiro. Way too easy, way too sensible :) thank you for this!!!

sadams
02-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks Hiro, this makes sense to me too. I already have C and B burned in, and am starting in on D.

colder
02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
For the open strings, the one I heard for guitar was: Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie

I guess for bass it could be: Eddie Ate Dynamite - Gulp

lindaje
03-22-2012, 06:05 PM
The old brain does seem to get quicker, the more we push it, though..

horacet
04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Hi Everybody, I'm Horace and this is my 1st post. I'm on lesson one and struggling with memorizing the fretboard just like most everybody else. I found "Eddie Ate Dynamite-Gulp!" Kind of funny. I use "Every Angry Dog Growls." I guess whatever works huh. Glad to be here and at 47 yrs old I'm glad to be finally learning to play the bass. BTW I know it's corny, but my 5 string SX is named T-Storm!

Soon To Be Bringing The Thunder!
Horace

Elmeaux
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Welcome, Horace!! Keep at the fretboard!! Check RESOURCES (http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?12-Resources) for more help.

SilverFlame46
04-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome, Horace. Good luck with your lessons!!!

jusca
12-06-2013, 12:49 AM

(click to embiggen)

Giving each note a phone number is absolutely genius. Thanks!

calcos
03-30-2014, 10:16 AM

(click to embiggen)

Yeah, this is the most helpful post in this thread for me...can I say though, that you actually only need to remember the first two numbers (E and A strings) for each note? As long as you know the octave pattern under your fingers (2 strings up, 2 frets over) you'll know where they are on D and G. I think what will be more difficult is the opposite, picking out the note given a string and fret number (what note is fret 7 on the D string?). An app might be a good way to go about doing exercises.

Driften
02-28-2015, 10:54 AM
I am using the iPhone app Tenuto to help memorize the fretboard. It can quiz you on the bass fretboard, it can also drill you on notes on the on the bass clef. Not the best interface design but it works well. It also does many other instruments. It covers Staff Identification, keyboard identification, fretboard identification, ear training, and some calculators.

I have just messed with fretboard and staff and am not sure how good the rest is.

Elmeaux
02-28-2015, 11:30 AM
There are many ways to get the fretboard under your belt. Now, with technology, there are many electronic aids to make it more accessible.

brian_primrose
03-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the post, Driften.
It sounds like something I would find especially useful while travelling away from my bass.
Brian

TobiasMan
03-02-2015, 11:47 AM
There are many ways to get the fretboard under your belt. . .

Another sure way is to lengthen your bass strap - a lot!!! ;)

chucklhead05
09-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi everyone. New player here. Thanks for the "Eddie Ate Dynamite - Gulp" mnemonic. I've been learning on my own, mostly by ear. Mt wife looks at me like I am nuts, because I am sitting here, playing air bass and counting off the frets.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Elmeaux
09-12-2015, 02:23 PM
Hi everyone. New player here. Thanks for the "Eddie Ate Dynamite - Gulp" mnemonic. I've been learning on my own, mostly by ear. Mt wife looks at me like I am nuts, because I am sitting here, playing air bass and counting off the frets.

Glad to have ya with us!

JazzBassBob
01-16-2020, 06:03 AM
Another method:

My guitarist friend taught me this, and seems to help me.

1. learn natural notes first . . . forget about sharps and flats because once you know the naturals, the sharps / flats are between them

2. learn one note for all 6 strings up to the 12th fret, because after 12th it repeats

3. order of learning is C B D F E G A, you can spend a few minutes out of your practice session on a note.

4. Learn all the C's for each string.

5. Once you learn all the C's then the B's because B is half step (one fret) below all the C's. If you know where C is, you know where B is.

6. Then learn D's. D's are whole steps (2 frets) higher than a C. Since you know where all the C's are, count 2 frets higher and you got D's.

7. The process repeats, for next set, F E G. To learn F E G start out with all the F's on each string within the 12 frets. First F on all strings, then E (one step below), then G (two steps higher from F).

8. A is the last, as it falls between B and G. Since you know where both is, you can find A easily. A caveat, usually most people find it easier just to count two frets up from G and call it day, but others may simply find it easier to count down from the B's.

9. Note this can be done in a few week span, spending several minutes a day to learn a new note. Once you know where all the notes are you can simply find out the flats / sharps by finding out the natural and going one-half step (fret) below. Some like B to C or E to F etc. the naturals are half steps

This looks very helpful and thank you. I was memorizing the notes across the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th but this may make it even easier.

Elmeaux
01-25-2020, 02:06 AM
Go here, Bob. Lotsa goodies!

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?2179

brian_primrose
01-25-2020, 07:37 AM
Good morning, Bob
Good ideas. The thing is to do it as a part of your daily practice. Despite the temptation after a while to think that you have the fretboard down, keep at it through different exercises such as two octave scales or continuous arpeggios over a set of chord changes. You probably will find that you are never finished.
Brian