PDA

View Full Version : ggaroutte

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
My name is Gary Garoutte, I'm 65 years old, and began playing a bass when I was 28.
I played in three Country/Southern Rock bands in central Missouri for 13 years back in the 70's and 80's. Prior to pickig up the bass, I had no musical experience, but I always wanted to be a bass player. I am self taught, and never learned to play 6 string, although I have owned some very good ones that I got in trades. I still have a couple of old Fenders, a 63 Jaguar, and a 63 Jazzmaster, both of which are basket jobs that I have never had repaired. I have always played a Jazz Bass, although I have owned and played Precisions, I can't hear the E-String on them, so I stuck with the Jazz.
In 1988 I went through a devastaing divorce that I didn't see coming and had to sell all my equipment with the exception of the 6-string Fenders I mentioned previously, and didn't play again until 2001. That year I bought 3 Mexican Jazz basses that year, a 5-string, a 4-string and a 4-string fretless. I just retired as a power lineman in Feb. 2010 and I bought an American Deluxe Jazz Bass as a retirement gift, and it is the only bass I play now. There is a difference. I also have a Bassman 250, and a Ampeg ba210. I like them both but the bassman has the better sound of the two, so I use the ampeg to run my drum machine through.
I have bought a lot of books in the past in an effort to actually become a decent bass player, but I believe the TMBG course is going to be the one thing that the others don't have and that is an actual teacher you can see and and listen to the reason behind the theory. I will go through this course slowly, partly because that is my nature, and partly because I don't like having to return later to learn something that I glossed earlier.

Bassic Bill
03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey Gary! Good to see you here. Enjoy the journey!

thunderman
03-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey, Gary, welcome to the Row! Thanks for sharing your story - you'll find any number of folks here for whom life has held unexpected surprises and who, like you, have faced the challenge and overcome it. Many of us find special satisfaction in really mastering an instrument - especially one we've had at hand for a long time. I started playing bass in '62, left it after four or five years, and just started getting back into it about two years ago. I wish you all the best, and look forward - like most of the folks here on the Row do - to seeing pix of your family of basses! (Some of us are jealous already!)
Welcome to TMBG!

SilverFlame46
03-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Gary. We are very happy to have you as part of our family. And yes, we would like to see you post photos of your equipment!!!

jthomas353
03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Hello Gary. Welcome. You made a great choice with TMBG. All the best to you on your bass playing journey. We indeed want to see pics of your gear.

John

Elmeaux
03-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Welcome, Gary! Hope you enjoy the course! Roy's a great teacher!

Greg Jewell
03-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Gary:

Great story, and welcome back to bass. TMBG will be a great companion piece to that new rig of yours. Wishing you all the best.

Bassix
03-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Welcome to the Row, Gary!

I'm sure you'll enjoy TMBG and Roy's teaching style - he definitely explains what you're doing and why you're doing it.

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the Row, Gary!

I'm sure you'll enjoy TMBG and Roy's teaching style - he definitely explains what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Thanks for the welcome, Bassix, and from what I have seen in the first 2 lessons I'd say you're absolutely right about Roy. He really impresses me as a first rate guy. I also have enjoyed the stuff that Lane on Bass puts out. It is good to be among the people that enjoy the same things. I'll try to post some pictures of my equipment at a later date.

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Gary:

Great story, and welcome back to bass. TMBG will be a great companion piece to that new rig of yours. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks for the welcome Greg. I believe TMBG will be a big boost to becoming a better bass player. It's good t be among like minded people.

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome, Gary! Hope you enjoy the course! Roy's a great teacher!

thanks for the welcome Elmeaux. I hope I become as good a student as Roy is a teacher.

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Hello Gary. Welcome. You made a great choice with TMBG. All the best to you on your bass playing journey. We indeed want to see pics of your gear.

John

Thank you for welcoming me to TMBG, jthomas, and I will try to submit some photos of my set-up in the future. Photography, along with woodworking are my other loves, so I'll try to post some pics in the future.

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Gary. We are very happy to have you as part of our family. And yes, we would like to see you post photos of your equipment!!!

Thanks for the welcome, SF46, and I will try to post some photos in the future. It's nice to be among friends.

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Hey, Gary, welcome to the Row! Thanks for sharing your story - you'll find any number of folks here for whom life has held unexpected surprises and who, like you, have faced the challenge and overcome it. Many of us find special satisfaction in really mastering an instrument - especially one we've had at hand for a long time. I started playing bass in '62, left it after four or five years, and just started getting back into it about two years ago. I wish you all the best, and look forward - like most of the folks here on the Row do - to seeing pix of your family of basses! (Some of us are jealous already!)
Welcome to TMBG!

Thanks for the welcome, ThunderMan. I'll try to get some pics up in a little while. Lifes great as long as I can pick up my bass and groove after working all day. I'm retired, but I still work at the things that I love to do. It keeps me from just sittin' around waitin' for the grim reaper.

ggaroutte
03-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Hey Gary! Good to see you here. Enjoy the journey!

Thanks for the welcome Bassic Bill, I think I finally found what I've been looking for in the way of a teacher, and being among like-minded people don't hurt none either.