PDA

View Full Version : Other Hobbies?

FeltFedora
03-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Curious if any of you have some other hobbies you would care to share? Or is bassin' pretty much your only thing?

Me - I am into Flight Sims, WWII History and Speedbagging. Also on a bit of a fitness kick right now trying not to be such a fat, out of shape slug. Been doing a fair amount of running, kettlebells and other exercise. I always seem to defeat it with my wifes desserts. :)

line6bassman
03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
YEA!! Work work and work.... And Bass and music is my life, if it wasn't for music I don't know what I might do. OH, YEA!! I know what I would do, Work Work and Work?????

line6bassman

jthomas353
03-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Tennis and exericse on my treadmill is my other things so I don't turn into a out of shape slug. I try to get out on the track or trails when the weather turns nice. In Seattle, that's about 5 months worth.

Elmeaux
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
I enjoy a few video games, including Rockband (Rockband I, II and III, Beatles Rockband, and the AC/DC version) , Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort (especially the sword fighting and frisbee golf), and Endless Ocean (both first and second editions). That one's a diving game - exploring the oceans, learning about the underwater creatures, finding treasure and stuff. Very soothing...except for the sharks.

Hmm...what else? I also write a lot - an awful lot. Poems, songs and music, stories, etc. Anything really. I write screenplays and poems and songs to enter into contests to try and win prize money.

For reading, my fave topic is true crime - my fave author is Harold Schechter.

I also manage my sister's YouTube site - I write the material for and make the films that are posted there.

I'm working on a website of my own, but there doesn't seem to be enough time for it all.

On TV, I like HOUSE, and Man v Food, Seinfeld, and American Idol.

Movies? I like film noir - anything from the 30s and 40s. Some of my more modern faves are Kill Bill (both), The Illusionist, The Mist, 30 Days Of Night, etc.

And I participate in Thunder Row - creating content and spending time with my fellow students!

Next!!

SilverFlame46
03-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, bassin' is a small part of my life as me and my wife travel a lot (going to Alaska in July) and several shorter trips during the year,I play a lot of golf in the summer, I walk two miles 5 - 6 days a week, I am involved in several Fraternal Organizations, I volunteer for charity events and above all I listen to lots of music. I guest I keep pretty busy in my retirement years and I love it all!!!

slejhamer
03-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Shooting stuff (http://www.pbase.com/m_schlesinger)

Bassic Bill
03-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Cycling (recumbent bicycles)
Kayaking (sea kayaks...lakes & rivers)
Reading (history, adventure novels)
Writing (never have enough time for that though)
Work, work, work.. (roll on retirement!)

TobiasMan
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Besides playing the bass, in the summer I ride my motorcycles as much as possible, camp and canoe (16' cedar strip canoe for wilderness tripping). I do a lot of the tech support for the lighting and sound systems at church and serve on a couple of Not-for-Profit agency Boards. I have a disassembled 1965 MGB sitting under my front deck waiting for a few more parts and me to get around to putting it back together and back on the road.

These "hobbies" have to fit in around the site work required on our acreage and maintenance on our log home.

Retirement has not resulted in a slow down. ;)

Ditto
03-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Me too,

I started with Air Warrior in 1996 and moved to Aces High when AW was stripped away. I have been flying and shooting down enemy World War II air craft with the same group of guys "The Spe******ts" since 1996. I fly as Ditto in Aces High and usually on Tuesday Nights during Titanic Tuesdays.

I also have a speed boat that I wake board off of. I run 4 times a week and will be running in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure for Breast Cancer in May.

I also am a big Volleyball fan, or at least I must be as I take my daughter all over the western states watching her play Volleyball and pay an awefull lot of money to do so!

I am a home owner so I work on the house "Honey do's" Oh wait that is not a hobby is it? :)

I also play the bass, not as much as I want to but every chance I get. I have Friday off and the kids will be at school and I told my wife to leave because I am going to crank up the MESA BOOGIE and thump it LOUD!

how does the word S-P-E-C-I-A-L-I-S-T-S get editied?

Elmeaux
03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
how does the word S-P-E-C-I-A-L-I-S-T-S get editied?

C I A L I S as a word is a drug used for E.D. Spell it like this: spec1alist with a number instead of an I and it will be okay. :rolleyes:

FeltFedora
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Me too,

I started with Air Warrior in 1996 and moved to Aces High when AW was stripped away. I have been flying and shooting down enemy World War II air craft with the same group of guys "The Spe******ts" since 1996. I fly as Ditto in Aces High and usually on Tuesday Nights during Titanic Tuesdays.

Cool! I tried that (aces High) for a bit... but was already hooked into IL2 at the time. Prior to that I flew some RB3D and Fighter Ace. Of course prior to that you must remember the MicroProse games (F117 and such.. man those were fun) Been with an online squad RAF74 since then. We have been around 13 years now if my calculations are correct.. They are gearing up for the release of Cliffs of Dover in the next month in the US and Canada. Its gonna be awesome. Although as much as I like it I find the time spent on the bass is better time - where the time online although a blast is time lost. I'll continue to play but my bass has definately taken priority.

For those of you that might not know this is the kind of stuff we are talking about. (Online dogfights and war campaigns with players from all over the world). Its a blast!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO35o8IRDz0

Elmeaux
03-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Game looks like fun!!!

ggaroutte
03-30-2011, 04:43 PM
I am pretty serious about photography, and have been an avid woodworker all my adult life.
I do the family photos at christmas, and other family get-to-gethers, and some of the school pictures for the grand-children whose parents can't afford the price that they have to pay the school photographers. I use photoshop CS2 on one computer and CS5 on a 2nd computer both of which I bought last October. One of the computers will now be used for the TMBG course. I will have build a practice center in order to have the computer where I can see the lesson as Roy teaches it. Right now I have to watch it and then turn up the sound enough to play along with it, because the computer is 10-15 feet away from me and turned the other way, which makes it unhandy.
With my wood-working shop I usually build the cradles for the newest members of the family. I just finished two cradles for two of my grand-daughters, one which is due in june, and the her sister who is presently infantasizing. I hope neither of them have twins. If so, one of those cradles is going to be crowded. I have built and installed cabinets for my sister, and my cousin, and my wife, as well as knick-knacks for the daughters and grand-daughters. I use wood-working as an escape when I feel pressured. I always feel at peace when I am in my shop.

TLDTR
03-30-2011, 05:18 PM
The answers to this question come in two parts: What hobbies DO I engage in, and what hobbies WOULD I engage in, if I had time? I got my solo pilot's certificate years ago, but never had the time and/or money to get my license. I write mysteries (check out David Crossman on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) and am a songwriter. I love woodworking - more carpentry type than cabinetry - and want to build a sailboat and sail around the world with my son one day. Great question!
Ed.

Ditto
03-30-2011, 11:49 PM
I tried Il2, but did not like the flight and i hated Fighter ACE. Was like a cartoon. And it had a way of removing the front of the plane for combat. What a joke. We just finished "Battle Over Germany" a 7 week event where 500 pilots fight over Germany. It was a blast and yes a "WASTE" of time. But, hay so is sleeping :)

debitcred1
03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I drive my wife nuts with my 'fart in a wind storm' approach to things, but here goes..

I do ham radio, and target shooting. I have dabbled in RC airplanes. Before I settled into accounting, I was a pilot on a Lear 31A, which was really cool, but the schedule really sucked more.

But thumping is what I have truly wanted to do for years...

Elmeaux
03-31-2011, 04:06 PM
I got my solo pilot's certificate years ago, but never had the time and/or money to get my license. I write mysteries (check out David Crossman on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) and am a songwriter.

We must have been separated at birth.

I earned my private pilot's licence with a night endorsement back in 1986, but could never afford to keep it up - too expensive.

Since you plugged your book, let me plug mine, too. :p

C.L. Seamus - the title is FADE TO BLACK (also on Amazon).

debitcred1
03-31-2011, 05:17 PM

I earned my private pilot's licence with a night endorsement back in 1986, but could never afford to keep it up - too expensive.

I learned to fly when i was in high school, 1972.

Elmeaux
03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
I learned to fly when i was in high school, 1972.

I love it that some of us seem to have other similar interests besides the bass. :cool:

cactoose
04-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Big outdoor nut...
Road cycling, MTBing, hiking, backpacking, camping, enjoying the mountains and countryside generally. I'd rather be outside than in.

My kids
Three young sons who are great fun and great pals and enjoy all of the above with me.

Photography
Been shooting a Canon 40D for a few years now - have some serious glass and enjoy strobism.

TLDTR
04-01-2011, 01:04 PM

I got my solo certificate in 1976, flying a brand-new 4-place Piper Cherokee - which cost an unbelievable $30,000 at the time! (Costs that much to fill the tank these days!)
Ed.

Elmeaux
04-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I got my solo certificate in 1976, flying a brand-new 4-place Piper Cherokee - which cost an unbelievable $30,000 at the time! (Costs that much to fill the tank these days!)
Ed.

I flew a Cessna Skyhawk. They had Cherokees at the school, but the instructor preferred the Cessnas. He always said, "There's no such thing as a low-winged bird." :cool:

I used to volunteer for the Boy Scouts - flying the kids around the city on tours. I didn't have enough licence to earn money for it, so everything had to be volunteer work. The Scouts would gather the money for the rental and I'd take the boys up. Hee hee...lotta green faces and sick bags!! Ten year-olds aren't so tough...:p

FeltFedora
04-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I dream about getting my PPL. I guess thats one of the things that draws me to flight sims. I looked into it and here it will cost about $5500 minimum thats with the least amount of hours with an instructor next to me. Realistically I know that it takes most folks longer (and I am not smarter than "most folks") and flight instruction is not a place I want to cut corners... I know I could muster the funds to get my license but really dont see myself having the funds to keep flying to the extent where I could keep myself proficient and safe. Gas is big money and the "$100 hamburger" is more like the $300 burger nowadays...

No such thing as extra money in my life but if I do have some to spend I really should put it towards other stuff. Then there is the whole flight medical. I have crohnes disease and I have been told I will be fighting an uphill battle to get clearance anyways.

I will continue to look to the sky anytime I hear a plane overhead... I still love aviation.

Elmeaux
04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I looked into it and here it will cost about $5500 minimum thats with the least amount of hours with an instructor next to me.

Including my night endorsement, the entire package was about $8000.00...and that was back in the mid-Eighties, when I had some money. :D

Back then, avgas was included in the lesson - they called it renting a "wet plane." I've heard tell that sometimes the lessons offered these days don't come with avgas fees included.

Patrick
04-02-2011, 03:12 AM
Let's see.

Since I'm a geek the biggest Hobby is computers (not gaming) with Linux (Debian GNU/Linux) in general. However I'm trying to seriously cut back on that in favor of my Bass education. (I decided this after the diagnosis of Migraine and C.H. and the idea was to have a hobby that's relaxing and less strain for the eyes).

A former hobby was the red-cross (I've been a volunteer for years and was a board member for a while). But due to personal (health) issues and some back-stabbing by some people I decided to quit (that was 2 or 3 years ago now IIRC).

Then I try to cycle (have a Specialized Allez racing bike, which is practically the cheapest one you can find) but I don't get to it that much.

And finally I try to take some pictures (have a cheap DSLR, I think that's what it's called) camera that I use but like the cycling it doesn't happen that much.

So although there are other Hobbies the biggest 2 are Playing the Bass and Doing some stuff on the PC (Like installing SPAM-Filters on these forums ;);))

Greg Jewell
04-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Between practice sessions it's surfng or hitting he gym...

Elmeaux
04-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Between practice sessions it's surfng or hitting he gym...

Or playing with your new Stu Hamm strings....:cool:

Ditto
04-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Here is my waste of time hobby.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/AcesHighDitto/Battle%20Over%20Germany%20Frame%205/GoodHits.jpg?t=1301847468

It can be an hour of boring....then a few seconds if intense panic!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/AcesHighDitto/Battle%20Over%20Germany%20Frame%205/Shottohell.jpg?t=1301847712

Notice the BLOOD all over the PILOT area, as I cannot use the common term :cool:........... that is usually BAD! :(

Just thought I would share.