PDA

View Full Version : Now THATS! a tattoo!

FeltFedora
04-03-2011, 01:56 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2410/2392938420_e991e76b19.jpg

line6bassman
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
HEY!! IT'S SAINT JAMES!!!

line6bassman

FeltFedora
04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
wait.. I know he only used one finger. But no strings!?! Thats just downright brilliant!

Elmeaux
04-03-2011, 05:48 PM
The feet look like otter flippers...exactly what kind of bass player IS this???

:p

jthomas353
04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
The feet look like otter flippers...exactly what kind of bass player IS this???

:p

Elmeaux,

That is supposed to be James Jamerson. I just finished reading "Standing In The Shadows of Motown". In the book, it told about James Jamerson injuring his feet so badly in a bicycle accident almost to the point of amputation, but doctors were able to save them with reconstructive surgery. Maybe that accounts for the strange looking feet.

About the book, it was a great read and gave me a new sense of appreaciation for James Jamerson, his life and especally his work. He truly was a genius on the bass. There are many transcriptions in the book of songs that Jamerson played that are also on CD played by current well known bassists like Paul McCartney, John Patitucci and some lesser known bassists. Definitely going to be a great study of Jamerson's work.

I was able to check the book out from the library. Great read if you get the chance.

John

Elmeaux
04-04-2011, 02:19 AM
In the book, it told about James Jamerson injuring his feet so badly in a bicycle accident almost to the point of amputation, but doctors were about to save them with reconstructive surgery. Maybe that accounts for the strange looking feet.

Really?? Well...don't I feel the fool. Making fun of a guy's injured feet.

jthomas353
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Really?? Well...don't I feel the fool. Making fun of a guy's injured feet.

No worries. I thought the feet looked kind of strange too until I realized who the person was. :)

Bassix
04-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Without hijacking the thread, I just wanted to add that the "Standing in the Shadows" CDs include some real heavyweights of the bass world - Chuck Rainey, Nathan Watts, Rocco Prestia, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, etc. - and they give outstanding renditions of Jamerson's work.

As John said, the book is a nice read, really instructive in terms of how Jamerson created his basslines and the CDs are easy on the ears. :)

Elmeaux
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Motown gave us some of the best music in the world.

Atlantic, Stax, and Motown ruled my musical world as I grew up.

jthomas353
04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
As John said, the book is a nice read, really instructive in terms of how Jamerson created his basslines and the CDs are easy on the ears. :)

The CD's definitely are great to listen to and can be great in learning some of the Motown songs. The CD was also recorded with the bass mostly isolated on the left channel and the rest of the band on the right channel. This is great as you can set your speaker balance to isolate the bass part and really study it, then switch over to the right channel to play along when ready to step up to the challenge.

TLDTR
04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
The book is available, used, from $11 (U.S.) at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Standing+In+The+Shadows+of+Motown&x=0&y=0

Check it out!
Ed.