PDA

View Full Version : Ouch - leather picks anyone?

cactoose
04-04-2011, 04:38 AM
I lost the hard skin I had built up on my picking finger last week while washing my van - just just came off and left a big patch of soft pink skin. We had a 4 hour band practice last night and I now have a pea sized blister on the end of my finger - and I have a lesson tonight!

So... has anyone used leather bass picks? I have tried standard 'plastic' bass picks but don't like the feel or sound. My local shop has some I think, stiff leather picks and I'm thinking one of these might get me through my lesson tonight?

Or I suppose I could tape my finger up?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Chris

Elmeaux
04-04-2011, 05:54 AM
I use rubber picks called Wedgies. I also have one that's made of heavy felt, almost like the fabric you'd find in a winter workboot liner.

Though I've never heard of a leather pick, I imagine it would be similar in sound to the rubber or felt pick and wouldn't make the srtrings sound clanky or twangy like a nylon pick.

Taping your finger might affect the sound and feel too much. Can you play with your thumb for one lesson?

cactoose
04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
I've found some thick hide squares in my cupboard, I'll cut a pick from one of those and see how it goes.

I'll give the thumb a go, but it may end up being a very slow lesson!

Thanks!

TobiasMan
04-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I also have a few of the thick, rubber picks from Wedgie. I find them easier to grasp than plastic picks and they don't have the "clacky" sound that plastic picks make on bass strings. They come in a few thicknesses - the ones I have taper a bit from the finger hold to the tip, but are about a millimeter thick at the fingerhold side.

I've used a couple of bandaids in the past when a blister appeared. You're right, a good long soaking in hot soapy water (like when you're washing a car) can loosen a callous. :mad:

Elmeaux
04-04-2011, 01:32 PM
They come in a few thicknesses - the ones I have taper a bit from the finger hold to the tip, but are about a millimeter thick at the fingerhold side.

My fave is the thickest - 5mm. It's also, IIRC, the hardest grade of rubber, too.

TobiasMan
04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Correction,
Mine are actually the 3.1mm picks. (1mm just didn't sound right, so went and checked):o

cactoose
04-05-2011, 06:42 AM
Well, I taped up my finger and made a pick from 2.5mm hide - very pleased with it, very 'non twangy' sound. I have since found some on the UK Ebay website.

The thing is, when using a pick, I'll have to learn some different muting techniques - I didn't realise how much muting I did with my fingertips until I tried picking!

bj3
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM
leather picks what the?

ssxfence
04-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I like the Dunlop Felts