PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie from Canada

Silverfox
04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi: If I am a senior and a new member does that make me a "senior member"? Probably not.
Have been picking at a Fender Strat off and on (mostly off) over the past couple years. Got a bonus at work and decided to get a BASS and amp. Using a Hal Leonard book for the past couple weeks waiting for this course. Am already up to page 2 on the course. lol.
Speaking of Senior Members do you have a break down of the age range of the TMBG membership. Just wondering if I would be at the top of the list for age.
Looking forward to the course and seeing how flexible and talented I am.

TLDTR
04-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Hello Silverfox, and welcome to the Row! According to our records, the youngest TMBG owner is seven, and the oldest will turn 80 this year. If you're over 40, you're among the 60% of TMBG owners in that age range. I expect that's because TMBG is - compared to those 'learn bass by prom-night' type offerings - a bit pricey. It's also a more demanding course than many young would-be players are willing to commit to; "What!? I have to PRACTICE!?"
You remember those days ; )
Ed.

Ralph
04-28-2011, 02:58 PM
... the Canadians are taking over! That's good news for you, Elmeaux, now you've got someone else to practice your secret handshake and speak Canadian with; saying 'zed' instead of 'zee' like normal people! Just don't get the idea you guys can pull one over on ol' Ralphy! I know all about your conspiracy and ... got to go, here comes Ed.
Sir Ralph

TobiasMan
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome Silverfox,

There are a few of us here, lead by our world famous Elmeaux ;)

You're no where near the oldest here. I'm on the happy side of retirement myself.

Enjoy TMBG. Go at your pace and don't feel pressured to move ahead until you feel comfortable with the basics of the lesson you're on. Moves slowly at first and then picks up speed as you get the skills down.

Unfortunately you've already been exposed to Ralph, so it's obviously too late to warn you about him. :o

barricwiley
04-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Welcome Silverfox to the Row.
I am 66yo - am I above or below?
(not the ground Ralph)

Elmeaux
04-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Ahh, Silverfox...

:::gives secret Canadian handshake:::

TobiasMan and the other Canadians welcome you. (me, too)

Drink your Molson's, watch your Leafs, and be glad Spring is on its way.

My joints are starting to loosen for the coming season and things are looking up for a good bout of practice.

Get your five posts in and you too will be able to play Skin DEEP.

Basses face off in head to head challenges for the crown of beauty!! Or the "Not as Ugly as the Competitor" consolation award. :p

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread.php?2130-Skin-DEEP-III-Round-One

Silverfox
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome from all of you, Canucks and otherwise. It is encouraging to see that my age group is not in the minority. I come from a musical family, my grandfather was a composer and piano tuner, my sister still teaches music in B.C., my brother is a very proficient drummer, (and 9 years older than me). Yet the only music I ever played was the radio and record player.!!
I am having a great time with this bass and must control my urge to leap ahead before I am ready.
Thanks again for the encouragement and welcome.

Silverfox
04-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Ahh, Silverfox...

:::gives secret Canadian handshake:::

TobiasMan and the other Canadians welcome you. (me, too)

Drink your Molson's, watch your Leafs, and be glad Spring is on its way.

My joints are starting to loosen for the coming practice season and things are looking up for a good bout of practice.

Get your five posts in and you too will be able to play Skin DEEP.

Bases face off in head to head challenges for the crown of beauty!! Or the "Not as Ugly as the Competitor" consolation award. :p

I asume the secret handshake you refer to is the one where you place both hands over your ears to keep them from freezing.
Man, when do we get summer up here?

Elmeaux
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Man, when do we get summer up here?

July 25th from noon until one pm...but all bets are off if it's a cloudy day.

DONNIE B
04-28-2011, 06:24 PM
July 25th from noon until one pm...but all bets are off if it's a cloudy day.

there is no summer just winter and road construction eh

SilverFlame46
04-28-2011, 06:26 PM
From one Silver (and Senior) to another, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Silverfox. Glad to have you on board and part of our family. Have fun!!!

DONNIE B
04-28-2011, 06:33 PM
welcome silverfox icome in peace.if you send me some cool weather i wil send u some warm air from florida.if u drank all the molson i will havea labsts blue .welcome to the row realy good people hear.eaven some from,theUSA, ON THAT NOTE GO BOLTS.HAVE FUN

Elmeaux
04-28-2011, 06:34 PM
saying 'zed' instead of 'zee' like normal people!

Why, you little--

Oh, never mind. You said 'normal people." I thought for a minute you were talking about yourself.

Now that's what I'm tawkin' aboot.

Bassic Bill
04-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey Silverfox...welcome from yet another senior Canuck! Enjoy the journey...practice! Which province are you in?

Silverfox
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey Silverfox...welcome from yet another senior Canuck! Enjoy the journey...practice! Which province are you in?

I live in Okotoks, just a few minutes south of Calgary.

Chris Howard
04-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Hey that's near me! I'm just roughly 1600 miles south by south-east frome there! Ain't it a small world?... lol...Welcome to the Row!

TobiasMan
04-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I live in Okotoks, just a few minutes south of Calgary.

I'm just a couple hundred klicks North, just east of Edmonton :)