PDA

View Full Version : My daughter is in a "Battle of the Bands" this weekend!

slejhamer
06-08-2010, 08:15 PM
My daughter is 8; she started playing drums last year and soon joined an all-girl band at the music school where she takes lessons. They had their first live performance back in March, and now they are gearing up for a Battle of the Bands this coming weekend.

This is the big-time, downtown DC at the 9:30 Club! There are about a dozen elementary-school age bands, then the teens compete separately.

They're hardcore punk -- oops, I mean they do Disney-type pop tunes: Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, etc. The band name is the Drama Queens; it really fits their personality! They have drums, guitar, keys, and two singers. Their teacher from the school fills the bass spot.

Couple pics from before the March performance at a roller skating rink; I didn't get the whole band as it was too dark once the lights went down and the "stage lights" came on.
http://www.pbase.com/m_schlesinger/image/122879108.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/m_schlesinger/image/122879117.jpg

Pardon the bragging! :)

JeffB
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Two thumbs up!!;)

line6bassman
06-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Kool, very kool!!! Are was that, cool, very cool!!!

Elmeaux
06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
:::applause:::

:::lights Bic:::

DO FREEBIRD!!

Great pix, proud pappa!!

stantonl
06-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Nice! Hoping to get my daughter, who is now 6, into something like this!

coachkip
06-09-2010, 07:14 AM
That looks like so much fun for her, and probably more fun for you.

slejhamer
06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys; it's a total hoot watching them perform.

That looks like so much fun for her, and probably more fun for you.

Yes, but honestly I think the parents get more nervous than the kids!

Nice! Hoping to get my daughter, who is now 6, into something like this!

I highly recommend! Putting the kids into a band is a great way to learn and have fun. It's just like playing along with Roy and the TMBG band on the DVD!

Ralph
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Hardly. I think your kids are WAY cuter!:cool:

slejhamer
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
LOL! Thanks man!

TLDTR
06-17-2010, 08:37 AM
So how did the battle go?:cool:

slejhamer
06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for asking!

Now, I did mention their name is The Drama Queens ...

Actually the girls did quite well. They didn't win, but there's a huge difference between what most 2nd grade kids can do and what 5th graders can do. Many of the bands had been through the competition before so they knew what to expect, but ours were all newbies. (More on that below.)

So the big kids won, and deserved it. And following up on the Branford Marsalis thread, I'm glad that ONLY the winners got rewards; no "you did your best" honorable mention trophies or junk like that. They actually had judges with constructive criticism, and I think it was a good learning experience.

And they had lights! and fog! and a video screen! - the whole nine yards. Major fun time!

My daughter was somewhat overwhelmed by the full-size drum kit. At home and at her school we have slightly smaller kits, so it was a bit of a reach for her. But she did fine.

One of the singers didn't show up until a few minutes before they went on. Diva.

Now for the worst part: their teacher/coach was a no-show! Lazy ass. While the girls performed well, they really could have used their coach to guide them through the whole thing, being newbies and one of the youngest teams. They may have been the only team without guidance. We complained to him and to the school. And the guitarist and keyboard player have dropped out! And the singers didn't show up for this week's lessons/practice! So, for now we are keeping her at the school, but with a different teacher and they are finding a spot for her with a different band. There's a "School of Rock" in our town too, which is a little more expensive, but a bigger program and maybe a little better organized, so we might check that out.

Oh, the drama! :D

Elmeaux
06-17-2010, 09:47 PM
I hope she finds a band where she can flex her talents in an atmosphere of support and enthusiasm.

slejhamer
06-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks man, I'm sure it will work out.

I was a little miffed at the guy, but my wife was majorly POd. No fury like a woman's scorn ... ;)

thunderman
06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Your daughter's experience brings back memories of the first band I played in. It went through about five iterations before our first performance and, despite the fact we were all guys, we had our share of divas, too. (Come to think of it, I was one of 'em!)
Chin up, kid. Just keep getting better, and other passionate musicians will be drawn to you. Well done!

slejhamer
06-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I hear you ThunderMan!

New teacher is working out great; very motivating and a better personality fit with my daughter. New band arrangement starts soon too. Leaving the drama behind ... :cool: