PDA

View Full Version : Skin DEEP - Silver Medal Round

Elmeaux
06-21-2011, 06:30 AM
THE VOTERS HAVE SPOKEN

It was a close call between the Carvin and the Cora, but we have a winner!

Congratulations to the Carvin 4001 for winning the BRONZE MEDAL in
Skin DEEP. What a looker!!

See her on the podium at the awards ceremony!!

And now, for the Silver Medal, we have five very worthy candidates.

Even without taking the top prize, each of these basses scored
well enough in the contest to have earned this chance,
so let's have a round of applause for all of our striking contenders in this,
the fight for the SILVER MEDAL!!!

The Fender Precision Relic Bass

The Gretsch White Falcon Bass

The Conklin Crossover Bass

The Pedulla Thunderbolt Bass

The Nordstrand SC5 Bass

- just click for a closer look -

Which axe is worthy of the title of RUNNER UP in the game of beauty?

YOU DECIDE!!!

VOTE NOW!!!

slejhamer
06-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Well, lol, my fault for the do-over, sorry voters (and Hofner fans, if any. :p)

By no small coincidence, I traded my PRS-SE guitar for a Fender Strat in sonic blue with an aged pickguard. Looks like a geetar version of that beautiful P. :cool:

barricwiley
06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Please don't be TOO hard on my ignorance, but, what is that small platform at the bottom of the P bass that looks like a thumb rest for?
I expect to see the rest over the E string but why below the G string.
Thanks,
Richard

slejhamer
06-21-2011, 11:31 AM
looks like a thumb rest

Good question. The story is that Leo expected bass players to use their thumb to pluck the strings, so he installed a finger rest or "tug bar" below the strings.

Later on, as players found it preferable to use their fingers and anchor their thumb against the pickup or E string, he moved the rest and it became a thumb rest.

You can see Brian Wilson using the tug bar on his bass in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89tPuyL1ruY

Elmeaux
06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I actually did a report on the tug bar some time ago. Wilson is a rarity among bass players in that he still uses it.

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?512-Thumb-s-Up!

You hang onto (pull up on) the tug bar with your four fingers and play the strings with your thumb. Your palm can then mute the strings as desired.

barricwiley
06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Thank you Thank you cool co-members.

Soooo, it is pretty much decoration.

Well okay then.

I will check out the videos soon.
Richard

slejhamer
06-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Elmeaux, I knew I read that somewhere! But I missed the line addressing ... me. :o Yes, I have a tug bar on the Jaz-O-Lounger, but no, I do not use it. (Prefer the 'floating thumb' method so I wouldn't use a regular thumb rest, either.) I just like the way it looks down there. :cool:

JustJazz
06-22-2011, 11:21 AM
The TUG bar was an interesting concept, and I theoretically like the idea of muting with the heel of the right hand palm. I am merely conjecturing, but I believe that as bass playing became more melodic, the thumb method did not provide enough dexterity to articulate the more complex lines that were prominent in upright jazz idioms.

Just my opinion :)

TobiasMan
06-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I think you are right JJ.

The first bass I played (+/- 1962) was my roommate's Hofner knock off and it had a tug bar. At that time almost everyone played with the thumb only and the tug bar was an anchor point. Most stuff was pretty simple I IV V kinda stuff and palm muting was common to get the upright thump.

My 72 P had a tug bar, but somewhere along the way it went adrift. Even though I don't use it, I keep thinking that I should get another one from Fender and reinstall it. The holes are there and it just "looks right" on my old P.

Elmeaux
06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Wow...I'm glad I restarted the round with the P Bass. She's ahead by 5 points over the others.

Imagine if the mistake hadn't been caught and this pretty, pretty axe wasn't allowed to earn her place on the podium!!!

slejhamer
06-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Hey you know what my non-Canadian math skills just helped me realize? Not enough medals ....

Loser of gold medal round usually gets silver. That means the Iby will be out in the cold after the red Jazz clobbers it. :cool:

Unless you're planning a consolation prize? Set of steak knives, maybe? ;)

Bassic Bill
06-23-2011, 08:19 AM
In 65 I had a bass with a tug bar on it...played (or tried to) it with my thumb. I didn't get very far. Now I understand why. But still, when checking out guitars for my re-entry I was surprised to find that they dissappeared. Thanks to TMBG I get it now.

Elmeaux
06-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Hey you know what my non-Canadian math skills just helped me realize? Not enough medals ....

Loser of gold medal round usually gets silver. That means the Iby will be out in the cold after the red Jazz clobbers it.

Unless you're planning a consolation prize? Set of steak knives, maybe?

:mad:

:::hands on hips:::

Each medal round is based on pedigree.

If the Ibanez loses in the Gold, it will not be losing to the Bronze or Silver medal round winners...it will only be losing to its Gold medal peers.

...unless you think that the $30.00 hooker Cora bass should be allowed to stand in the same room as the Gold Medal finalists... :cool:

As far as the losers in each round are concerned...we don't need no steeenkeeeng second place. In the blood-and-guts world of beauty pageants, it's "go big or go home." The Ibanez knows that.

The Ibanez would spit on the floor if you offered her a SECOND PLACE consolation prize. She's a thoroughbred.

Besides...how do you know I don't have some kind of special runway showcase planned for ALL the basses when this pedigree round is over? The tawdry swimsuit competition, so to speak...

Keep up all this griping and you'll lose your Miss Congeniality crown. :p

...and, BTW...it's a BLACK Jazz...

slejhamer
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
...and, BTW...it's a BLACK Jazz...

My memory must be failing ... confusing it with The. Most. Amazing. Bass. Ever. (TMABE):

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0195000809

P.S. Looking forward to the swimsuit competition!

Elmeaux
06-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I actually played on of these in the store. The 50th anniversary issue.

Unfortunately, this isn't the one from the contest. The one from the contest was the Fender American Deluxe Jazz.

DONNIE B
06-25-2011, 01:59 PM
well lookie lookie i see four fine works of art here. but there is only two that also caught my hart. one has had it since i was a very young boy .the other i like better as a six string .i remember seeing chett adkins play, his gretch.for a young boy i thought he was the smoothest guitar player for the type of music he played. but the fender bass is my true love for the bass guitar. has been since i was very young. SO the P BASS gets the vote ps i may fall in love with other bass's along the way but for now. fender fender is it