PDA

View Full Version : Crossover from the Dark Side (Trombonist)

JustJazz
06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
My primary instrument is trombone,Bass trb and Tenor, Jazz, Rock/Pop and symphonic. I have been blessed with more talent than brains in this arena, and have been fortunate enough to perform with some really great Bassists, both the well known and the more obscure but still genius players.

I have dabbled with Bass over the years, but finally decided to get serious this year. I have a Carvin B40 Fret-less that I love and have managed to get in between 15 to 30 minutes a night practicing. The hardest part for me is the frustration of knowing music and having a certain level of competence on Trombone and then being in a fog playing Bass. My dexterity is improving consistently, I can play the Zepplin "Black Dog" lick up to tempo, but my brain has no idea what notes I am playing (grrrr) I have to sit and count frets and by that time the note has passed me by (LOL). I know I know it just takes time and repetition; and that's what led me here.

My love of Jazz to Brian Bromberg to Carvin to Roy Vogt to TMBG. At 58 I have no illusions of grandeur; I just would like to get competent enough for coffee house contemporary Christian playing.

Okay, that was a bit verbose LOL

Elmeaux
06-22-2011, 11:17 AM
I had sort of added Black Dog to my list of things I wanted to play, but it's further down. I have a few others I want to get to first.

Good song.

JustJazz
06-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't have any real burning desire to play in a Zep tribute band, but it seemed to be good for me musically to have something to work on my dexterity and maintaining an even tempo/articulation. Now I am working on playing it without looking at the fretboard. Frustrating as it can be I hope it benefits me as a player in the end. We shall see

TobiasMan
06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Starting with a fretless, JJ!

Might as well start with a dive into the deep end, eh? :eek:

Intonation is critical so "listen, listen, listen". Your ear needs to tell you whether you are "on" or not since, as you know, there's no frets!!! :cool:

Good luck and enjoy.

JustJazz
06-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks Tobias,

Yeah, I was a bit anxious, but I had spent several weeks visiting the Carvin store here in Santa Ana. Back in the early 90's I was traumatized trying to learn bass on a Yamaha BB3300, so as I would demo basses, I would always somewhat reluctantly return to the fretless bolt on. I loved the feel, the warmth of not having the string against a fret, just the whole package was feeling very good. So, in a moment of insanity I went fretless. After Paul Stebner did my set up and cut the nut down to lower and improve the action, I was fully in love with this bass.

TobiasMan
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Great!

A well set up fretless is a thing of joy to play!!!!

Give'r! :cool:

JustJazz
06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Got home from Symphony rehearsal (Baf Posaune stuff - LOL) and found my copy of TMBG had been delivered! Woo Hoo! I was really tired and planed to climb right in the rack and go to sleep, but could not help myself and turned on my Mac, my amp and picked up the bass and got through the first lesson. Pretty elementary, but Roy made it hold my interest; the mark of an exceptional instructor indeed. And I learned some things to help me fix habits before they become ingrained into muscle memory.

Roy, if you read this post; Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You !

I live in Seal Beach, but my family is Clarksville (family farm is now Fort Campbell) and I have some musician friends in Leaper's Fork. Looking forward to going to Printer's Alley on my next visit; hopefully I will get to see and hear Roy perform!

Who can sleep now; think I will practice for a while longer !

Rick Bartkus "JustJazz"
Carvin B40 Fretless
BX500 BRX 10.2 Neodymium

SilverFlame46
06-28-2011, 06:14 AM
Got home from Symphony rehearsal (Baf Posaune stuff - LOL) and found my copy of TMBG had been delivered!
Rick Bartkus "JustJazz"
Carvin B40 Fretless
BX500 BRX 10.2 Neodymium

And, NOW THE FUN BEGINS!!!

Bassix
06-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Congrats, Rick!! :cool:

Elmeaux
06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Got home from Symphony rehearsal (Baf Posaune stuff - LOL) and found my copy of TMBG had been delivered! Woo Hoo!

Thanks or entering the code from the package. I have updated your account status. You should be able to see all parts of the forum now.

REMINDER to all who join up before your kit arrives. Don't forget to enter the code (from the package) into your existing profile. As well, once you do, you can drop a private message to me, or TLDTR, or Patrick, and we'll update your membership status.

JustJazz
07-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Okay, so that y'all know what I look like. JustJazz in his natural state