PDA

View Full Version : I have a short in my bass - expensive repair?

Dontay
06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
At first I thought it was the cable because I sometimes have to Jiggle the cable where it plugs into the bass. I did get a new cable so It would appear the bass has a short or something. Does anyone know if this is an expensive repair.

JustJazz
06-22-2011, 06:59 PM
It's hard to tell without looking at it. It could be a very simple point in the body or it could something more complicated. Do you have a technician you trust? If you are in southern calif I can refer you to some good folks, otherwise perhaps someone else may know where to go.

Elmeaux
06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Sometimes, a wiggling or loose plug just requires that you open the jack housing and press the connection thingie back into alignment. Jacks come loose easily.

Dontay
06-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Yes, I live in southern cali and I could use a recommendation for repair.

domin8r28
06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I had the same type of problem recently. If I jiggled the cable at the jack I'd get noise. I tested my cables, love my monsters. I figured it was the jack. Bought a new jack, removed the old one, soldered the new one in and VIOLA.....no more snap/crackle/pop....give it a shot. Not a hard repair and fairly cheap if you already own a fine tip soldering iron

TobiasMan
06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Does sound like the jack has failed. This is not uncommon as there actually is a fair amount of stress on it as we move about with the cable inserted into the jack. Some basses have the back of the jack pretty much unsupported in the cavity while others have them pretty well supported and they then to last much longer.

You can try cleaning the jack with something like Caig's DeOxit (spray it in, insert and remove the plug several times) and see if that corrects it. The jacks and contacts on our equipment gets incredibly dirty over time and that interferes with the signal.

Part of my regular cleaning process is to use DeOxit on all of the jacks on my amps and basses (whether they are in use or not - as the signal passes through them all and any one can degrade the signal). I view it as "perventative maintenance". If the jack is shot, they are not expensive ($5 - $8) and easily replaced.

Bass4Gsus
06-24-2011, 07:23 AM
At first I thought it was the cable because I sometimes have to Jiggle the cable where it plugs into the bass. I did get a new cable so It would appear the bass has a short or something. Does anyone know if this is an expensive repair.

First clean the jack as others have said. I do this also every so often. If that does not solve the problem the contacts themselves could be loose.

Take a few pictures of the guts of your bass before making any adjustments, so you have a reference point.

The plug contacts could also be loose. With the cover off and the inside of the jack exposed, are the contacts making good solid contact with the plug, if not you could bend the part of the jack that should be making contact with the plug a little at a time, don't overdo it. If this solves your problem, you could always replace the jack later, but it will get you going.

Then make sure all the wires are connected to the jack , and re-solder if necessary, if you are comfortable soldering.

Bassic Bill
07-09-2011, 10:40 PM
My guitar jack failed today - solder joint let go. Easy enough to fix after a two-hour search for my soldering iron.

Elmeaux
07-09-2011, 10:52 PM
My guitar jack failed today - solder joint let go. Easy enough to fix after a two-hour search for my soldering iron.

I don't even have a soldering gun. I think I need to make a trip to the store. I think I'd lose my mind if my bass failed to make noise. :(

Bassic Bill
07-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't even have a soldering gun. I think I need to make a trip to the store. I think I'd lose my mind if my bass failed to make noise. :(

Canadian Tire! I was in crisis mode while I searched for the soldering iron. Big relief when I found it.

Elmeaux
07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Canadian Tire! I was in crisis mode while I searched for the soldering iron. Big relief when I found it.

Good idea. I have a few bucks in CT money. Gotta love a discount!

TobiasMan
07-10-2011, 11:50 PM
I have a big wad of CT money. Usually just give it to my daughter. She appears to love standing there while they count out $30 in $.05 bills :D