PDA

View Full Version : Say hi to the new guy from Phoenix!

ChiefWilson
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Like some of the rest of you, I'm getting a late start - 56 years old. My wife's been playing guitar for over thirty years, and I should've taken the leap a long time ago. I worked part time in the mid-eighties in a music store in Norfolk, VA, called Sound Electronics. My wife was in a band at that time; The Outsiders.

I did quite a bit of research to find an on-line or DVD training course, and I think I made the right decision with Roy Vogt's TMBG. Awesome course, and very professional. Completed lessen one about a week and a half ago, and have been practicing every chance I get. I think I may be ready for lesson two this weekend.

I visited the Phoenix and Scottsdale Guitar Center's and I think I've got a decent start with a Fender American Precision Bass, Ampeg BA115HP Combo Amp, and an Alesis SR-18 Drum machine to help me with my timing. My wife's been giving me tips along the way as well.

I'm looking forward interacting with like minded people on this forum. Good luck to everyone with pursuing their passion.

-ChiefWilson

Elmeaux
06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Welcome, ChiefWilson!! That's quite a rig you picked up for yourself!

Good luck with your lessons and welcome to the family!!

line6bassman
06-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Same age as me, oops, wasn't suppose to say that. Welcome to TR!!!

Line6bassman

thunderman
06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Chief. Welcome to the Row. You've got a great outfit there (Fender Precision with an Ampeg amp - that's a classic combination!) With TMBG and a wife who plays guitar, you can't go wrong! Good to have you aboard!

Dontay
06-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Welcome Chief

SilverFlame46
06-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, ChiefWilson. Glad to have you as part of our family. Good luck with your lessons!!!

TobiasMan
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Welcome Chief!

Nice rig to start out with. Keep up the practicing and you'll soon be jammin. :cool:

ChiefWilson
06-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words! I would imagine that there's some real talent out there. Are most of you in it to relax and have fun, or are some of you out there in public playing the bars and coffee houses?

Also, anyone out there get the opportunity to jam live with Roy? I'm thinking about buying his Urban Legend CD. Does anyone know if it's available through iTunes?

-ChiefWilson

Elmeaux
06-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words! I would imagine that there's some real talent out there. Are most of you in it to relax and have fun, or are some of you out there in public playing the bars and coffee houses?

Also, anyone out there get the opportunity to jam live with Roy? I'm thinking about buying his Urban Legend CD. Does anyone know if it's available through iTunes?

-ChiefWilson

I enjoy the bass to relax and have fun. I have no stage aspirations.

Never jammed with Roy. Long distance, doncha know...

Both his albums are great! Simplicity as well as Urban Legend. I would assume iTunes has them. I know CdBaby does - it's where I got one of them. The other I got from Napster.

line6bassman
06-24-2011, 09:38 PM

-ChiefWilson

Yes but no I didn't get to jam with him but I did get to be a student of his a few years back here in New Orleans. Here's something Roy told me, He liked how I found my way back when I got lost doing a solo in front of him and a whole bunch of other people HE!!HE!! Hey people that's not really funny it was kinda scary really.

Line6bassman