PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - First time into a 'proper' PA

cactoose
06-26-2011, 03:00 PM
We have a festival gig in 3 weeks time and it's our first time plugging into a 'proper' venue PA with a desk and engineer, etc.

What gear should we take with us? What questions should we ask the sound engineer before the gig? What can we expect that would be different to our normal setup (Small PA for vox and guitars, me playing through my amp)?

We are pretty inexperienced and I don't want to look like a complete bunch of idiots when we arrive!

Many thanks

Chris

Bruce Alan
06-27-2011, 12:05 AM
It sounds like you have the question about every person in the band, not just bass. The most important thing, to me, would be to get in touch with whoever is handling the stage and ask exactly what is going to be provided and what will not. You could generally expect with a festival that drums and amps/direct boxes would be provided (as well as full p.a.), but the best way to prevent being there without the right gear is to simply ask.

I know it sounds too simple, but often, smaller festivals could have any number of variations among themselves. We could certainly tell you our experiences of what we see at these kinds of gigs, but I know as soon as I did that, this one would be completely different. Always best to just ask the powers that be exactly what they provide for each instrumentalist.

cactoose
06-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Thanks for that, that makes complete sense. I just wondered if there was a standard "the house provides everything beyond the end of your cable" type of rule!

I assume I'll be OK with my own DI? I want to take a TECH 21 VT Bass.

slejhamer
06-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Thanks for that, that makes complete sense. I just wondered if there was a standard "the house provides everything beyond the end of your cable" type of rule!

If festivals are anything like the churches I've played at, some want you to use only their equipment, others have next to nothing and expect you to bring everything. As Bruce said, coordinate with the organizers well in advance.

Re: the VT Bass; do you have the DI version or the plain vanilla one? If the latter, I would still run it to a direct box as the sound man may not appreciate the VT's unbalanced line out.

Also wrt DIs, you may need to know if the board is providing phantom power (if you have active DIs); otherwise you'll need a power supply or a battery.

P.S. Congrats on the gig; knock 'em out!

cactoose
06-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Re: the VT Bass; do you have the DI version or the plain vanilla one?
P.S. Congrats on the gig; knock 'em out!

It's the deluxe version, so that'll be fine. And thanks very much!

Bruce Alan
06-27-2011, 10:23 AM

I would bring it just because it could be useful and it's not much to carry. If you don't need it, no sweat, if you do, there it is ready to roll.

One of the most important things I've done over the years is to compile a small load of stuff that makes me self contained for any gig. It used to all fit into a briefcase sized bag, now a modest SKB gig box that can be handled in one hand. The point being that since I do vocals too, I already have a couple mic cables and a mic. I have a handful of all the tools I might need to repair a bass (solder, wire, battery connectors, allen wrenches for adjustments, butane soldering iron, electric tape, small packet of tools). I carry a couple more mic cables, mic, and small desktop mic stand for cases where I can be mic'ed rather than direct (I've had only one sound guy absolutely refuse). I also carry a couple direct boxes.

This way, depending upon what a given festival gig tells me will be provided, I can bring all or some of that as needed and never be in need of something a sound tech might not have. If I can be completely self contained for any gig (not saying I have to carry all that to every gig, only what is needed - but if I need it all, it's in one carryable case), I become one less headache to a flustered or highly busy sound tech. And if I become one less issue for her/him, I end up on their good side the rest of the gig.

Just some things to consider. A small cadre of the right tools is a life saver. I hardly ever need them, but when I do, it's nice to have them there. The one time I did not in a bih festival situation, I shredded a battery connector cable. Duct tape holding that mess together in the last few minutes was not a fun work around.

TobiasMan
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I too have a gig tote bag that contains a number of essentials. Both my amp rigs have built in DI's so that is covered. Other than that, some spare strings (the only strings I've ever had break are upper register strings, so I don't bother with Bs, Es or As), tools to fix adjust my basses, extra tuner, wire, tape, preamp/amp patch cords, and batteries (I change them in my guitars before every gig, so they've mostly been used to rescue the guitard (who normally doesn't). I usually take more than one bass to a gig so I don't bring along soldering equipment as I can swap another bass in.

Bass cords, etc. all reside in each bass's gig bag. With everything having its own place in the gear, it is much easier to set up and to take down and ensure I haven't left something sitting on the stage when I go.

If there is full PA support, I just bring a big enough rig to hear myself and be heard on the stage. Never had a soundguy refuse the DI signal from my Eden gear and normally that is enough. A few times I've been to gigs where they have equipment capable of vocal and other instrument support, but they don't have subs for bass. If that's the case, I'll bring either my single 410, or my stack of 410s which can cover a large area if needed.

Do contact the organizers before you go to double check what they have, what they expect you to bring, and an important bit is when they expect you to set up, how long you have to set up, and whether there is going to be time for a soundcheck for your group, or if they just expect you to go with the generic sound setup.

Organizers are not impressed when they have a fifteen minute setup window and 25 minutes later you are still hauling in gear!!!!! :mad:

cactoose
06-28-2011, 02:24 AM
Once again, thanks everyone for your advice and encouragment!