PDA

View Full Version : Thin neck on Fender Jazz

Dontay
06-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Just curious..what are your feelings on the thin neck on the Fender Jazz basses. I have heard good and bad things.

Bassix
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Probably just comes to down to personal preference (if the only concern is the thickness of the neck, that is).

Elmeaux
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Never owned a Jazz, but I like the thin neck on my Ibanez.

Make sure you try out the various neck sizes when you're in the store. See which you like better.

stantonl
06-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Definitely comes down to personal preference. I learned how to play on a P-Bass, so the P neck always feels like home to me, but recently have been enjoying my Jazz quite a bit. For me it is a bit easier to play in the "phone polls" on the Jazz.

Ditto
06-28-2011, 01:31 AM
I have a Fender Jazz with a maple neck and I enjoy playing it.

TobiasMan
06-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Entirely personal taste.

My P bass has the typical fat ole Fender telephone pole neck. Both my Tobias and my MTD have Michael's thin assymetrical neck. Either feels fine to me.

JustJazz
06-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Pardon my using Trombone as an example, but that is where I have a greater depth.

When students ask me about about different equipment on trombone, there are only two legitimate factors; the quality of the workmanship and the other is the physiology specific to the player. In reference to the thickness of the neck, I would suspect that size and dexterity of your hand and fingers would be a factor.

My conclusion is that as long as the instrument/neck is crafted by a competent talented artisan, it's a matter of choice. which neck is easier for you to get the sound and dexterity you desire.

Just my personal opinion and experience.

PaulUK
06-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm 6' 4" with big hands and I play an Ibanez, slim neck and all. It just feels right.

In the end, how does it feel and how does it sound....

Dontay
06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all replies...I was just wondering cause I was concerned about possible wrist pain or issues.

TobiasMan
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm thinking that more people have wrist/finger problems when playing on a thick neck than a thin one. Thin necks, as long as they are strong enough to not warp under string tension, generally have your hand in a more natural position.

KGT
08-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I play an Ibanez SR-900 - probably a significantly thinner neck than the Jazz, and I love it. I wonder if the neck thickness/string separation preference would be related to playing style - somebody who slaps/pops might not want the strings so close together - just a thought.

Elmeaux
08-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I play an Ibanez SR-900 - probably a significantly thinner neck than the Jazz, and I love it. I wonder if the neck thickness/string separation preference would be related to playing style - somebody who slaps/pops might not want the strings so close together - just a thought.

Ibanez is a popular bass among this group. We all know its thin neck very well...

...and love it!

PS...post pix!

:D