PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Hotel California

Elmeaux
06-21-2010, 09:32 PM
In addition to living within walking distance of five music stores, I also live within head-banging distance of the football stadium where all the summer concerts are held. It's where I attended Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, and Paul McCartney.

Of course, those shows were held before I lived across the street from the place. Since moving to the apartment building across the way, I don't even have to go to the shows anymore. I just set up my adirondack chair on the balcony and enjoy the show from the comfort of my own home (as do many other tenants in the building). I "saw" Billy Talent and AC/DC this way last summer. Couple of other band revues as well. You don't really see much of the stage close up. It's more of an aural experience, but it's the po-man's way to enjoy the show. And the pyrotechnics and lightshows are still good to go, too.

We also have a big indoor arena where shows are held, too. That's where I saw Marilyn Manson, Rod Stewart, and a few others. This past weekend, there was a show at the indoor arena. Joe Cocker and Tom Petty. I didn't get out to see it, but I'm telling you, if I coulda, I woulda. I wanted so badly to see the opening bass licks to UNCHAIN MY HEART. Because of my physical disabilities with my back, it's hard for me to get around to these things. Not like the old days. :(

Anyway...the point of all this is...

As we speak, across from my building, they are building the stadium set for The Eagles, who will be taking the stage tomorrow evening. The opening act is The Dixie Chicks. Don't know much about them - not really my thing.

Anyway, my mosquito repellent is ready, the iced-tea is in the fridge, and at this time tomorrow evening, I shall be checking in to the Hotel California.

JMilly
06-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Duddddddde I green with jealous rage! lol but as long as by this time wednesday there is a post describing them in all their glory it'll be all good.

TLDTR
06-22-2010, 01:00 AM
The more we communicate, the more we learn. I'm genuinely sorry to hear you don't have the mobility you would like, Elmeaux, but you are obviously among those who master such constraints and are to be applauded. And you're certainly to be envied for your box seat overlooking musical history!

Thanks for sharing your stories, and yourself, we're all the richer for it.
Ed

coachkip
06-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Sorry to hear that you can't attend in person, but it is a great opportunity for you to be able to listen in. I have done this a few times myself. We used to live about a half mile from an amphitheater. It was nice to sit outside and have a little dinner and listen to the opening acts, then sit on the back patio and listen to the main act in leisure. There is also a beautiful amphitheater at the Interlochen Arts Academy in Interlochen Michigan. The cool thing is that it is right on a beautiful lake. I have pulled up there in a boat a few times and listened in on a concert. That is a great way to listen, the slight rocking of the boat, the cool breeze, and you get to hear everything there is to hear.

As for the Dixie Chicks they used to be really big and then their lead singer got political during the Bush Presidency and the country folk did not take to that to well. It was not against Bush himself but more against the good ol USA. They have dumped her and gone back to the original two girls in the band. They are a great bluegrass/folk/country band that has a great modern sound. I have not seen them lately but I would guess they would be playing a lot of mandolin and fiddle. The bass would probably be a stand up model for the most part with some electric bass thrown in during their faster rockabilly songs.

Happy listening and have a sweet tea for me!

Elmeaux
06-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, ain't you all just lambie-pies for being so sweet...(hyuck)

I have two basses. One is an Ibanez (small and light) and the other is this 24-fret behemoth Crescent, which more or less just looks like a big ol' Fender. Very heavy, very thick neck. I'm unable to stand while playing the Crescent. There's just to much of it weighing on my back. Sometimes I play it lying down on the couch.

I can stand while wearing the Ibanez, but not for more than about 10 minutes at a time, so I save it for the really good songs. My faves to stand up and play are:

Yakkety Axe - Chet Atkins. Just your basic 1-4-5 thing which a couple of key changes. Great improv opportunity.
King Kill 33 - a delightfully vicious little Manson number with only 3 notes - E C# D#, over and over and over. Thunderous.
Hold Your Head Up - Argent. Another easy one...make sure you get the six-minute version, not the radio version.
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh. Nuff said.

Yesterday, I took my lesson with Roy (still on Lesson 4 - I ain't in no hurry), then went into free play, where I try to use my advancing skills to better the way I play my old faves. Though I like to try new songs, too, I have a preferred set of about 10-15 yummies that I play regularly - I rotate new and retire old at my whim.

Currently, they are, in no particular order:

Some Kind Of Wonderful - Grand Funk
Can't Let Go - Lucinda Williams
Enter Sandman - Metallica
My Melody of Love - Bobby Vinton
Grey Room - Damien Rice
Java - Al Hirt
Lord, I Hope This Day is Good - Don Williams
Maneater - Nelly Furtado
King Kill 33 - Marilyn Manson
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
Shakin All Over - The Guess Who
Truth - Amos Lee
Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw - Jimmy Buffett
Yakkety-Axe - Chet Atkins

I sat for all of them yesterday and stood for the closer - this time it was Argent.

When I close down the shop for the night, I limp away with a smile on my face. Pain earned is pain easy.

I'd love to hear what everybody else likes to play when they're not studying. Let's have the lists!!

:D

JMilly
06-22-2010, 06:50 PM
I have a set few I like to play as far as warming up goes.

The Mars Volta - Intertiatic E.S.P.
The Extraordinaires - The Warehouse Song
Modest Mouse - The Whale Song
Muse - Hysteria (Finally got my effects right on with that track lol)
Phantom Planet - Badd Business
Radiohead - Nude (Easy but man it's so relaxing I might drift you to sleep)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My Kiss

And I top it off with one of my favorite basslines The Four Tops - Bernadette

Elmeaux
06-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Ahhh, what a nice concert. It wasn't the big slam-fest I'm used to. It was actually very subdued in terms of crowd noise. The Eagles played a song and the crowd applauded and cheered. Nobody was hanging frm the rafters, falling from the upper decks, evading police due to liquor violations...not that I could see from my vantage point, anyway...weird...

The sound of the Dixie Chicks was so muddy that you couldn't hear a thing from my balcony. Just a lot of fiddle music and someone singing as if into a winter scarf, so I can't even say if they were any good.

When the Eagles came on, however, the mud washed away and every word and note rang out like lovely bells.

Here's a review from the local paper. Read some of the comments. People are so grouchy sometimes.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/eagles-mostly-take-it-easy-guitarist-walsh-injects-the-rock-96958774.html

JMilly
06-23-2010, 06:42 PM
That guy was trying to twist insults into complements lol

Elmeaux
06-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Sometimes I wonder if music reviewers even LIKE music. Some of the reviews sound as if the guy was assigned to cover the show, and his first reaction was to roll his eyes and whine.

Hotel California was a blast. Witchy Woman...all of it, really...