PDA

View Full Version : Default strings on Ibanez SR300

ssahlander
07-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi!
My first bass was a cheap Harley Benton which I used for a couple of days before sending it back to Thomann.de. Today they sent me the Ibanez SR300 I ordered instead :)

Does anyone know what kind of default strings Ibanez have on that?
Since I'm a total beginner have I no idea what strings I should be using. In general, is there a good set of strings for a beginner? Should I replace the ones which comes with the bass?

Elmeaux
07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Ibanez basses come strung with ELIXIR strings. A little too greasy feeling for me, but a lot of people like them and they are definitely quality.

TobiasMan
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
If this is a new bass, get a setup done on it. Few come from the factory with a good setup and the difference in play-ability between a poorly setup bass and a well set up one can be night and day. Well worth the few extra coins to get a setup done.

Bruce Alan
07-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Since I'm a total beginner have I no idea what strings I should be using. In general, is there a good set of strings for a beginner? Should I replace the ones which comes with the bass?

Here's a vague answer: any strings you eventually, through experimentation, discover you like the best. :) Seriously, there are no strings I can think of that are better for a specific bass than any others (exceptions being maybe flat wounds are gentler on a fretless, etc.). It all comes down to years of trying different strings and tripping upon the set you like most.

A big help is the opinions of others on what they've used over the years and how those various strings react. But in the end, it's all up to your fingers and ears.

ssahlander
07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks folks!
Luckily for me is my friend, and boss at work a very good bass player and (former) bass teacher. So he can help me set up the bass. He was the one who told me to get rid of the Harley Benton and buy a proper bass ;)

barricwiley
07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Bruce, You are a real pleasure/addition to have on our forum.
Thanks to you for your posts from experience with the bass.
Richard

Here's a vague answer: any strings you eventually, through experimentation, discover you like the best. :) Seriously, there are no strings I can think of that are better for a specific bass than any others (exceptions being maybe flat wounds are gentler on a fretless, etc.). It all comes down to years of trying different strings and tripping upon the set you like most.

A big help is the opinions of others on what they've used over the years and how those various strings react. But in the end, it's all up to your fingers and ears.

Elmeaux
07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Bruce, You are a real pleasure/addition to have on our forum.
Thanks to you for your posts from experience with the bass.
Richard

I second that emotion.

Bruce Alan
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Goodness, you all are too kind. Thank you so much. Believe me, it's most assuredly a two way street in what I'm learning from you all. It's so tiresome to hear in various forums over the years "no, do things this way" or "you're not doing that right" or "string XYZ is the only brand to use." The entire reason I go the lesson package was that after 30 years of playing I know there's more to learn. And you all provide that every day.

Thank you!

barricwiley
07-06-2011, 05:38 PM
And------Humble ------ another another nice thing to add to your welcome contributions.
Stick around a long time Sir!
Richard

Goodness, you all are too kind. Thank you so much. Believe me, it's most assuredly a two way street in what I'm learning from you all. It's so tiresome to hear in various forums over the years "no, do things this way" or "you're not doing that right" or "string XYZ is the only brand to use." The entire reason I go the lesson package was that after 30 years of playing I know there's more to learn. And you all provide that every day.

Thank you!

TobiasMan
07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
. . . after 30 years of playing I know there's more to learn.

Absolutely correct. Been playing regularly for 25 years and have found all sorts of bad habits that needed to be corrected and some new approaches/skills that are making things a lot more fun (and easy!) :cool:

BillG
07-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Hi!
My first bass was a cheap Harley Benton which I used for a couple of days before sending it back to Thomann.de. Today they sent me the Ibanez SR300 I ordered instead :)

Does anyone know what kind of default strings Ibanez have on that?

If you like the way the bass sounds with 'stock' strings why change them. Your taste in will most likely change as you find you prefer playing one type of music/sound to another...maybe that's the time to look at strings.

One thing I would advise as a starting player is staying away from round wound strings. They can be very hard on your fingers.

Elmeaux
07-16-2011, 09:36 AM
One thing I would advise as a starting player is staying away from round wound strings. They can be very hard on your fingers.

This is a really interesting piece of advice. I actually started out with flats on my Crescent bass. I kinda switched away to the half-rounds, which are (IMHO) an improved version of pure flats.

The Crescent itself is still strung with flats - big, heavy D'Addario Chromes to be exact.

I'm not sure there are many basses that come factory-strung with flats though, so if you take Bill's advice, you're gonna be buying 'em...unless you order them as part of a custom package.

ssahlander
07-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Thank you all for your kind replies!
I now have my lovely SR300 so I know the answer to my own question:
It came with D'Addario XL Nickel Electric Bass strings (http://store.daddario.com/category/145921/EXL160M_Medium_Scale_50-105) :-)
I can only say that they are the best strings I have played on so far ;)

Elmeaux
07-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Thank you all for your kind replies!
I now have my lovely SR300 so I know the answer to my own question:
It came with D'Addario XL Nickel Electric Bass strings (http://store.daddario.com/category/145921/EXL160M_Medium_Scale_50-105) :-)
I can only say that they are the best strings I have played on so far ;)

Oooh...not the Elixirs? I'm surprised. But the D'Addarios are great!!!

Pix of the bass?

Ditto
07-16-2011, 11:36 AM
That was a good piece of advice. A BASS that manufactured and sat in storage and then shipped from who knows where?

I have purchased 4 basses, the first one was in a pawn shop. the guy just took my money and here you go. Then I got my first G&L from a music store. Northridge music here in Sacramento did the set up and then after a month adjusted it again for free.

I got my Fender from Skip's music and they took it off the rack and put it in the case and here you go..

I just bought my new G&L from Guitar Workshop here in Sacramento and the guy took it off the rack and took it over to the bench cleaned it set up intonation adjusted the truss tuned it told me all about the features. Gave me a free cleaning kit, including a towel, handed to me and asked "how does it feel?" I was was kinda shocked at that service, and it was during my lunch break from work. I was running late but I did not want to stop the guy as I watched him make all the adjustments as he talked away. This guy knew what he was doing.

I could of saved a few bucks buying on-line.....but with service like that NEVER AGAIN.

So, like was said, take it to a shop and have it set up. :D

ssahlander
07-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Pix of the bass?

You can enjoy its beauty here (http://at48itisnottoolate.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-new-red-friend-arrived-yesterday.html) :-)

Elmeaux
07-18-2011, 02:38 PM
You can enjoy its beauty here (http://at48itisnottoolate.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-new-red-friend-arrived-yesterday.html) :-)

Love the colour. Yummy.