PDA

View Full Version : Combo regret

Ditto
07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I bought my MESA combo a couple years ago as I had no plans on giging, now that I have to move that pig around, I wish I had got a rack system instead.....

SO if you are still deciding...think about the future.

Elmeaux
07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I have lugged my amp around a couple of times to other people's houses. I have a flat rolling trolley and strong friends. :cool:

TobiasMan
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Combos, especially ones large enough to play at at gig, are heavy to move! :(

I use separates (preamp/amp/cabs) and while in total they are also heavy, they can easily be moved on a dolly or by hand individually. Also gives me a lot more flexibility for swapping things up or down, depending on the gig.

The only combo I have is my old Fender Bass 10 (410) - and it stays at home.;)

pilmat
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
SO if you are still deciding...think about the future.

+1
Just changed my combo for seperates as I wanted a different (less muffled) cab.

Greg Jewell
07-22-2011, 05:21 PM
50 lbs and under is doable in a combo. And as Elmeaux suggests, a "trolly"...which is Canadian for "cart", is a simple, economical solution for hikes from the parking lot or car park.

Greg

Greg Jewell
07-22-2011, 05:22 PM
50 lbs and under is doable in a combo. And as Elmeaux suggests, a "trolley"...which is Canadian for "cart", is a simple, economical solution for hikes from the parking lot or car park.

Greg

Elmeaux
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
And as Elmeaux suggests, a "trolley"...which is Canadian for "cart",

It's nice to have a second language.

:p

Ditto
07-22-2011, 10:51 PM
The main reason I want to go rack system is for the flexability in speaker choices. I have been going out a lot and checking out live bands and talking with bass players. I have seen the 4X10 set up most but just saw a 2X10 with a single 15 and the sound was good. THere is a big difference in the store, in your house, in the club and then a club full of people. This guy was telling me that he added the the 15 because some of the places he plays, he needs that extra air to push through the crowd. That is only when they don't run his sound through the PA, when they do that the 4X10 works fine. Lot of info and experience out there!

slejhamer
07-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Does your combo have a speaker out to connect to a bigger cab?

Also lugging around full-blown rack systems doesn't seem to make much sense any more (at least for most "club size" gigs), given the availability of small heads with high-power Class D power sections, from just about every major maker (heck, even Ampeg has gotten into the class D game now.)

But yes, a few different size cabs for different room/stage situations is needed.

Ditto
07-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Does your combo have a speaker out to connect to a bigger cab?

Also lugging around full-blown rack systems doesn't seem to make much sense any more (at least for most "club size" gigs), given the availability of small heads with high-power Class D power sections, from just about every major maker (heck, even Ampeg has gotten into the class D game now.)

But yes, a few different size cabs for different room/stage situations is needed.

My MESA BOOGIE rig has a lot of flexability. It has the head (TUBE) and 2X12's and it has the OUT jack. It is JUST HEAVY. If I could take the head in and then the speaker cabs, it would be easier.

My set up is a great amp. I am just wishing I had bought them as a seperate set up. It would of cost about $400.00 more, so that is why I got the combo. Like I said, I have been going to see live shows and every one I have seen all use seperate head and cab set ups. But I did not plan on giging back then and now I am playing. I plan on using my old Fender set up for practices as it is a lot lighter :D

77 StingRay Bass
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Love my Eden Metro...but hate da weight!
I am getting older:rolleyes:

TobiasMan
07-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Metros sound great :D, but for sure they are heavy! :(