PDA

View Full Version : Skin DEEP - SHOWDOWN

Elmeaux
07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Good ol' Rickenbacker!

This bass defeated the Conklin Crossover in a double-time 10-5 victory!
Twice as many people preferred the bass that never even won a single round
in its first showing.

This week's Skin DEEP SHOWDOWN features another bass that never
made it past the first round.

The MTD 635 is a 6-string, 24-fret beauty, but, really...did she ever stand a chance
against the Ibanez Prestige, the bass that would go on to take the gold medal?

Hmmm...

How will she fare against this gold medal contender - the G&L Anniversary
bass in all her Pearl Frost glory ?

The G&L won five solid rounds before being dethroned by the ReBop.

Which of these two contenders is the most beautiful?

YOU DECIDE!!!

1019 1021

- just click for a closer look -

Since we've seen lots of good pix of the G&L,and almost nothing of the MTD,
TobiasMan added this link to the original vote, so we could get a good look
at her close up. He felt it would even the playing field, since the pic in the
original vote wasn't very good.

I'm including it here as well.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/official-mtd-usa-thread-part-5-a-586385/

Bruce Alan
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Mmmmmm, I love me some pearl white!

DONNIE B
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Love that white clean fresh look. Look only four strings getting better.designed by LEO FENDER&George Fullerton . i just don,t know what more need be said. i just have to go for the G&L.:cool:

Bassix
07-25-2011, 05:05 PM
MTD 635 all day long!

stantonl
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Going with the MTD on looks alone.

Ditto
07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I am going to have to vote for.......................

THAT G&L BABY! YEA!!!!

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread.php?2571-Mine-ALL-Mine!

Elmeaux
07-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I am going to have to vote for.......................

THAT G&L BABY! YEA!!!!

There's a surprise. Heh heh

:p

TobiasMan
07-25-2011, 08:02 PM
MTD all the way, all the time. Hand made beauty!

G&L? dime a dozen. :p

DONNIE B
07-25-2011, 08:14 PM
MTD all the way, all the time. Hand made beauty!

G&L? dime a dozen. :p

I will send you 25vents i want a .black one and a white one the 5cents is for the handling charges. lol

DONNIE B
07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
LOOK AT THIS EVAN MONEY. WHOD A THUNK IT GO FIGURE:cool:

Bassic Bill
07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
All those strings on the MTD just ruins the look for me...otherwise I would go with it. As it is the white angel got my vote.

line6bassman
07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Don't usally say anything but the G&L just seems to be missing something, just plain you
might say. No Pop and Slap to it. Sorry to whoever owns one but it probably sounds powerful by pickup design. But looks gotta go with MTD!!

PS
I JUST TIED IT UP!!! WHO DAT NEXT FROM NEW ORLEANS TO BREAK THE TIE.

FOOTBALL BACK ON I'LL PLAY SOME BASS FOR DAT!!

Line6bassman

Ditto
07-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Don't usally say anything but the G&L just seems to be missing something, just plain you
might say. No Pop and Slap to it. Sorry to whoever owns one but it probably sounds powerful by pickup design. But looks gotta go with MTD!!

PS
I JUST TIED IT UP!!! WHO DAT NEXT FROM NEW ORLEANS TO BREAK THE TIE.

FOOTBALL BACK ON I'LL PLAY SOME BASS FOR DAT!!

Line6bassman

The pictures don't do it justice. The sparkle metal flake in the paint makes it NOT "JUST PLAIN" But we like what we like.

I will try and take a pic of it in a blue light. the sparkle comes out with the blue. :cool:

slejhamer
07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
. the sparkle comes out with the blue. :cool:

I'm holding back my vote pending a look at the G&L in a sparkling blue light. Funny, I was thinking a frost-blue metallic would be particularly yummy on that bass.

Ditto
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm holding back my vote pending a look at the G&L in a sparkling blue light. Funny, I was thinking a frost-blue metallic would be particularly yummy on that bass.

I am going to have to ask the wife if I can break it out again for a few more pictures.......... By request ofcourse :D

Elmeaux
07-26-2011, 02:51 PM
I am going to have to ask the wife if I can break it out again for a few more pictures.......... By request ofcourse :D

This is such a tight race that I think pix would help. I know I'd sure like to see some close ups of the colouring.

line6bassman
07-26-2011, 07:08 PM
The pictures don't do it justice. The sparkle metal flake in the paint makes it NOT "JUST PLAIN" But we like what we like.

I will try and take a pic of it in a blue light. the sparkle comes out with the blue. :cool:

I agree with you, the picture doesn't do it justice because besides blue white is my favorite color all my cars were white my jazz guitar was white and future if les paul would be white.

AND ALSO FORGIVE ME IF IT SOUNDED LIKE I WAS KNOCKING IT, IT WASN'T MENT THAT
WAY. I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU SAID ANYTHING ABOUT
THE PICTURE NOT DOING IT JUSTICE. Yep a good picture would be nice! I guess that's
why I never comment on this I just vote because you might get your self in trouble.
Lastly that's right and totally agree (But we like what we like) and that's all that matters! But come on, Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Line6bassman

Ditto
07-26-2011, 11:56 PM
No need to appologize, I am not but hurt over your comments.
I am just deffending my choice. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

I have tried to get the sparkle to show up, my daughter has a good pic and I will up load it tomorrow. We will see how it works on line.

Don't worry about offending anyone here......I don't. We all have opinions and I still want to hang with you all.

I am a very conservative but have liberal friends. They know that if they don't want my opinion DON'T ASK. I have no problem sharing :) and am never :o

Take care all

Ditto

slejhamer
07-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Off topic (kinda), but why do Elmeaux's posts have a different font than everyone else's?

Elmeaux
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Off topic (kinda), but why do Elmeaux's posts have a different font than everyone else's?

Because I'm special.

:p

Seriously, I always select SIZE 2 for my posts to make the font bigger and easier to read.

The standard font that is used when we post is a little too small for me. It's not a SIZE 1, but it's smaller than a SIZE 2.

Do a SELECT ALL when your post is ready and then click the size gauge.

If you don't see size options when you post, click the SETTINGS button at the top right of the TR page, go to GENERAL SETTINGS along the left side panel, and make sure the ENHANCED EDITOR is turned ON. Then you can choose your font by type, size, colour, etc. While there, you can set up all the other features of your account too.

PS...my font isn't always different...Firefox tends to make it all the posts into the same font. Chrome is my regular browser, and it's the one that shows up as being different. (as does IE)

Ditto
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
I got a blue light and some good white light one with my wife's NIKKON and Doughters help.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/AcesHighDitto/Bass/DSCN4751.jpg?t=1312083372

You can see the FROST!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/AcesHighDitto/Bass/DSCN4761.jpg?t=1312083496

It REALLY is a beautifull BASS and plays GREAT. I had to put it back right after the pics though........Christmas is a LONGGGGG way away.

line6bassman
07-31-2011, 04:50 PM
I'll take one blue and one white!! Like I said, my favorite colors are blue and white!! Also I
have a red Jazz, Red,White & blue USA you might say.
I still have one issue, it takes me awhile to get used to a 4 string again since I always
play a 5 string. Looks nice!! It probably are for sure is even better in person for sure.

Line6bassman

Elmeaux
07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Mmmmm...sparkles...

And are those flats?

:D

Ditto
07-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I called and asked about making it in a 5 as I had a 4 like it (before I knew it was twisted) and they said NOPE only in a 4.

Flats?

Elmeaux
07-31-2011, 10:53 PM
I called and asked about making it in a 5 as I had a 4 like it (before I knew it was twisted) and they said NOPE only in a 4.

Flats?

Are those flatwound strings...?

Ditto
08-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Nope, not sure what brand but will find out.

Elmeaux
08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Because the G&L pix came up late, I'm going to give the vote a few extra hours today before closing the poll.

If you haven't yet placed a vote, this is your last chance!

The poll will close at 5PM Central today.