PDA

View Full Version : Fender Kingman

ChiefWilson
07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Picked up a Fender Kingman ABG a couple weeks ago. I had some business up in Flagstaff and wanted to keep up with my practice. I use a Fender American Precision Bass at home and wanted an ABG with a similar neck. But because of the light weight of the body it is very neck heavy (which I knew going in) and the action is quite high. Though it has a built-in Fishman pre-amp, and I didn't buy it to play plugged in, the D and G strings are absolutely dead playing though an amp.

I'm taking it to the Bass Place in Peoria tomorrow to have the action and neck set up, and the bridge repaired so that it makes solid contact with the pickup. Probably a good set of strings as well. Gotta get it ready to take it to dove opener in Yuma on September 1st. Brother-in-law is bringing his acoustic guitar so we can have a jam by the pool while were cooking the dove tacos on the grill and sipping Don Julio.

Anyway, do any of you own a Kingman, and if so, what do you use it for and how do you find the quality of the sound and the playability?

-Chief

barricwiley
07-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi Chief,
I do actually.
I am on the way to beddy bye so will follow up in the morning.
Richard

barricwiley
08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
The Kingman was my 1st bass guitar purchase. I thought it would be all I ever needed.
I have spent some frustratiing time with the guitar because I could not rid it of buzzing on the A and G strings. You can't just make adjustments on it as you would an electric bass guitar. I bought a book to help me find a solution but to not help with acoustic. It seems that my problem was right where the fretboard meets the guitar body. I made several adjustments to the truss rod and waited days in between to set in place.
Finally ( to make a short story too long ) I put on a set of Fender flats and slowly, with truss rod sorta reset, the guitar now plays very well and I am pretty happy with no string buzz. After over a 2 month period it nice to play. I don't think the volume is really good enough to play with other acoustic instruments unamped but if you are playing by yourself it is quite pleasing in sound and playability. I plug into a Fender Bassman 250 and the sound change is tremendous-strong, growling, great tone and fun to play - ya getcher thunder that we all love. I thought it odd for sure that out of the box you seem to have had the opposite problem with the high action. You mentioned getting a setup and I think you are on the right track, but, as part of that I would ask the tech about possibly better suited strings? I called Fender early on about what strings came on the guitar originally and was given the wrong info but it matters not now. I am sure they were rounds because I got a lot of finger noise.
I know I am being runny mouth, sorry, and I hope you get the guitar where you are happy with it. It popped a few slivers in me but at last it can be enjoyed. I still think I will probably put t up for sale cause I am enjoying the electric more. I gained some good positive experience.
Richard

DONNIE B
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Picked up a Fender Kingman ABG a couple weeks ago. I had some business up in Flagstaff and wanted to keep up with my practice. I use a Fender American Precision Bass at home and wanted an ABG with a similar neck. But because of the light weight of the body it is very neck heavy (which I knew going in) and the action is quite high. Though it has a built-in Fishman pre-amp, and I didn't buy it to play plugged in, the D and G strings are absolutely dead playing though an amp.

I'm taking it to the Bass Place in Peoria tomorrow to have the action and neck set up, and the bridge repaired so that it makes solid contact with the pickup. Probably a good set of strings as well. Gotta get it ready to take it to dove opener in Yuma on September 1st. Brother-in-law is bringing his acoustic guitar so we can have a jam by the pool while were cooking the dove tacos on the grill and sipping Don Julio.

Anyway, do any of you own a Kingman, and if so, what do you use it for and how do you find the quality of the sound and the playability?

-Chief

man i want to go on the dove hunt. hope you get the bass working for you. what are you shooting 20,28,16, double,auto or single,low brass 6or8shot.let me know off topic, i love to bird hunt really i love all hunting

ChiefWilson
08-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I dropped the Kingman off at the Bass Place this afternoon and your comments helped me articulate my particular situation better to the technician. I find the strings too close to the frets down low around the second or third, but very high up with a large gap between the string and the frets on the twelfth and above. Probably a neck adjustment required. So it buzzes playing low, and requires a lot of pressure to fret playing high. Also, one of the employees owns a kingman and has experienced the same issues with the pickups and say's it is common and easily fixed. I totally agree with your assessment about the strings, and am having them replaced as well. Leaving it up to the discretion of the technician, and I believe he's leaning toward a set of DR round wounds. We'll see.

I can understand you wanting to play the electric, more than the ABG. To be honest, I don't know how anyone could be successful learning the bass, when only playing an acoustic. My Fender American Standard Precision is like butter compared to the Kingman, both in playability and quality of sound. Though I do believe the Kingman may have a better sound for a song such as "Have you ever seen the rain?" Of course I have visions of playing like Casey Abrams, which is unlikely.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, it's much appreciated. Good luck on your journey!

-Chief

Elmeaux
08-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I remember when barricwiley joined us and displayed his Kingman. What a beauty. I hope all works out for you and that you get it going properly.

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?495-Mr-Wiley-And-His-Kingman

ChiefWilson
08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Yuma's been a family tradition for many years. Some of the best dove hunting in the country. For the Yuma opener, I take my AyA #2 28ga, and normally shoot 3/4oz of 7 1/2. For my backup I bring an AOC S/G (Ugartechea) 20ga with 7/8oz of #9's. As you can most likely tell, I'm an SxS guy who likes an English stock and double triggers. I'll also be bringing my 7 year old English Springer who lives to hunt!

My last duty station before I retired in 1994, was in LA (Lower Alabama) also known as Pensacola. Didn't do much hunting there, though I believe it's good bobwhite country, and would like to go back some day. In addition to birds, I also hunt big game and have both Elk, Deer, and Turkey tags this fall. Hopefully I can still find time for my TMGB lessons.

Look me up if you ever find your way to Arizona. We could do a little shooting, a little jamming, and a little sipping!

-Chief

Stephen
09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I bought a Kingman back in January and wasn't too thrilled with the sound. I played it on and off. I was wondering if it was just gonna gather dust for the rest of its days. One day back in July after having learned a lot from study and practice I picked it up and went off on it. I manhandled it and made it sound off. To this day I can play on it and it sounds great. You just have to "wake it up".

barricwiley
09-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Kind of did the same thing Stephen with my Kingman. I popped on a set of flats and it sounded much better and the buzz is gone. About 2 weeks ago I lit into her with one of those rubber picks that Elmo mentioned and have been having a good bit of fun.
Richard

I bought a Kingman back in January and wasn't too thrilled with the sound. I played it on and off. I was wondering if it was just gonna gather dust for the rest of its days. One day back in July after having learned a lot from study and practice I picked it up and went off on it. I manhandled it and made it sound off. To this day I can play on it and it sounds great. You just have to "wake it up".

DONNIE B
09-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Yuma's been a family tradition for many years. Some of the best dove hunting in the country. For the Yuma opener, I take my AyA #2 28ga, and normally shoot 3/4oz of 7 1/2. For my backup I bring an AOC S/G (Ugartechea) 20ga with 7/8oz of #9's. As you can most likely tell, I'm an SxS guy who likes an English stock and double triggers. I'll also be bringing my 7 year old English Springer who lives to hunt!

My last duty station before I retired in 1994, was in LA (Lower Alabama) also known as Pensacola. Didn't do much hunting there, though I believe it's good bobwhite country, and would like to go back some day. In addition to birds, I also hunt big game and have both Elk, Deer, and Turkey tags this fall. Hopefully I can still find time for my TMGB lessons.

Look me up if you ever find your way to Arizona. We could do a little shooting, a little jamming, and a little sipping!

-Chief

don;t hard core hunt any more health won;t let me but my oldst son takes me out sets up my ground blind and my bow , still love to deer and hog hunt ;just not able any more still try to make dove opener plop my self on a bucket and wait for the doves still puts a spark in my eye when i was in the CORP IN THE 70S IUSED TO HUNT MULEYS man that was a long time ago next time we talk hunting we will take it to off topic nice talking to you chjef wilson

derecola
09-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I have the Kingman it is my easy chair pratice bass..

Elmeaux
09-12-2011, 08:03 PM

Do you think this is because it's an acoustic? That it needs to be broken in...or "woken up"?

Like a wild stallion!

BTW...couldn't help notice you're not in the string draw. Why not submit your name and take a shot at those Black Beauties!

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?922-THIS-WEEK-S-DR-STRING-GIVE-AWAY-Black-Beauties!