PDA

View Full Version : Profile Pictures vs. Avatars

slejhamer
06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Ralph jokes aside (almost feeling sorry for the guy), I'm just curious why this forum allows profile pictures but not avatars?

kenkarle
08-09-2010, 03:47 PM
and one that would go hand and hand with this...why is our optional profile picture not posted on the forums like that of our mentor Roy's? I've found no option to do so, and by the looks of other forum members' posts, neither have they.

TLDTR
08-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I think it all boils down to jealousy (Ralph and Healthcliff's). We'll see what we can do.
Ed.

kenkarle
08-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, that makes a lot of sense? Is that suppose to be funny? Think I'll ask for my money back!!! until a more inteligence response is provided by an administrator? Am I missing something here? I jist a newbee boss.

SilverFlame46
08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, that makes a lot of sense? Is that suppose to be funny? Think I'll ask for my money back!!! until a more inteligence response is provided by an administrator? Am I missing something here? I jist a newbee boss.

Whoa, loosen-up kenkarle!You missed something alright, Ed was just saying he will check into the questions and get an answer. Here, at Thunder Row, we all try to have fun and one way we do that is to use Ralph as a humor gizmo. You know keep things loose and fun. Ed will get an answer for you because the people at Thunder Row and TMBG take care of their members in a way that I have not seen done in a very long time. So, when Ed gets the answer he will let you know. In the meantime I would like to welcome you to Thunder Row and let you know that you are part of the family!!!

Elmeaux
08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree. It's okay, Brother. Please don't get upset. We love ya. :cool:

kenkarle
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I didn’t write that. It was my evil avatar, Karle. I’ve since locked him in his room until he successfully completes all twenty lessons.
Ken

TLDTR
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
My apologies. I don't mean to be flippant in my response to questions. Fact is, our Tech Master Guru is on holiday and, being just a simple scribe, I would have to push buttons and things I'm not authorized to do. That said, I notice both Elmeaux and SilverFlame have avatars, could you veterans explain the process for Karle (and me as well!)?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Ed.

SilverFlame46
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM
That said, I notice both Elmeaux and SilverFlame have avatars, could you veterans explain the process for Karle (and me as well!)?

Ed.

OK Ed and Ken, in an effort to not look like I didn't know what I was talking about I went to Webster's Book (or in this case his cousin) for help and this is what he said, Avatar: computing image of person in virtual reality: a movable three-dimensional image that can be used to represent somebody in cyberspace, for example, an Internet user (Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.). So with that definition in mind I don't think mine is an avatar because it is a non-movable cartoon photo of a bass guitar player. But, all I did to add this to my profile was go to settings and use the profile photo link. Now, I think a true avatar is used by JeffB so maybe he could assist more than I can. Hope this helped but that is just about all I can contribute on this subject. OK, JeffB you take it from here!!! :o

SilverFlame46
08-10-2010, 02:11 PM
I didn’t write that. It was my evil avatar, Karle. I’ve since locked him in his room until he successfully completes all twenty lessons.
Ken

So you kinda have a RALPH also!!!

Elmeaux
08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
My apologies. I don't mean to be flippant in my response to questions. Fact is, our Tech Master Guru is on holiday and, being just a simple scribe, I would have to push buttons and things I'm not authorized to do. That said, I notice both Elmeaux and SilverFlame have avatars, could you veterans explain the process for Karle (and me as well!)?

Ed.

I just went to SETTINGS at the top of the page, and then to EDIT PROFILE PICTURE which appears along the left side of the screen. I uploaded the pic I wanted, and Bob's your uncle.

kenkarle
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Okay SilverFlame46,
I think we all have Ralphs.
You’re right. You’ve just got a profile pic like me. I believe what slejhamer was referring to and me is pretty much what you are describing, although an avatar doesn’t necessarily have to have motion to qualify under internet lingo.

I swear just two days ago a function existed under our settings menu for avatars, but it wouldn’t work. Simply had a button selected that stated something like “No Avatars Available”, and it could not be changed. No other options. In fact, while I was toying with this, I inadvertently clicked to see who was on line and it showed me in process of modifying avatar. I can no longer find this function, although a checkbox to show avatars still exists in the forum settings and private email contacts.

Must be Ralph or Heathcliff messing with us!

Ken

JeffB
08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Mine works, na nan nanna na! :p

I dont have a clue how I did it!

kenkarle
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I had a dream...a visitation from Ralph...! Ralph say, "enough fretting over unimportant avatar. Go fret over bass...practice!"

Nananana hey hey goodby! (Or is that "oh my" or is it "oh why"?)

Yours Truly (That's like amen man.)
Ken

slejhamer
08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
although a checkbox to show avatars still exists in the forum settings

Curious, innit?

Ain't no avatars in this forum, Ed. Them's "profile pics" you're talking about.

Thus, my original post, still unanswered.

TLDTR
08-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Right now we've got to figure out how to allow you guys to upload mP3 files. As for gesticulating avatars - that's somewhere down the list...but we'll get to it.
Thanks for your patience,
Ed

kenkarle
08-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Tickling avatars in gest…? Hmmn…! How about it Elmeaux?

Elmeaux
08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Tickling avatars in gest…? Hmmn…! How about it Elmeaux?

It's why I'm always smiling.

Patrick
09-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Mine works, na nan nanna na! :p

I dont have a clue how I did it!

Well I'm kinda late to the party but better late then never ;)

As I understand nobody here has an avatar (except Roy and Ralph).

The way these forums work (I have some experience with vBulletin but mostly with the 3.x version not the newer 4.0) but it's basically like this :

Profile picture : You "normally" set a picture of yourself there. And this is NOT shown in the forums, but on your profile page.

Avatar ; This is a photo or image (mostly 80x80 or 120x120) that is posted above your forum name, so if it's set it's viewable in every post you make (like Roy and Ralph).

The Avatar is usefull to quickly identify a member, for example you instantly see it when Roy has posted because you see his face :p

Now to allow the use of an Avatar someone with "Admin" right here at the forums needs to login at the admin panel and set the option to allow Avatars since as it seems now this option is disabled.

This could be a "security" feature since you can also disallow the use of images or links in posts (or disable signatures) to stop spammers who use these options to spread their cra*

Anyway, I hope this explains a bit.

And on the subject if an avatar is needed ?
Well I personally don't miss them here (I have it on other forums though) mainly because like I said it's easy to find a reply from Roy.

Oh, and a tip :
If Ralph doesn't want to scale his Avatar to a more acceptable size there should be an option to automatically scale it to a max. size like 120x120 for example ;) (that's 120 pixels x 120 pixels IIRC).

Elmeaux
09-04-2010, 03:30 PM
If Ralph doesn't want to scale his Avatar to a more acceptable size

I bet Roy's moping on his porch right now, upset that Ralph's avatar is so much bigger than his own...

:::tiptoes toward exit:::

:p

TLDTR
09-04-2010, 08:40 PM
We're not even going to discuss the relative sizes of Roy and Ralph's avatars.
End of thread,
Ed.

kenkarle
09-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Excellent, comprehensive synopsis, Patrick.

Ken