PDA

View Full Version : Bass Players

d4rkw01f
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
My first favorite bass players were Justin Chancellor from Tool and Mike Dirnt from Green Day. Looking back, I laugh sometimes, but I really think they are great guys for beginners. Then I came across a comedy metal band called Psychostick that always has some pretty awesome slap players, and got me into the world of slap and made me want to put the pick down. Then I met Roy and started listening to Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten. The most recent addition to the list is Doug Johns.

slejhamer
06-29-2010, 06:32 PM
My "great for beginners" influences are Paul Simonon (Clash) and Adam Clayton (U2). Neither could play a lick when they started ... like me!

Tons of more sophisticated players that I like, but the three guys I most want to be able to play like are Geddy Lee (rock styles), Rocco Prestia (fingerstyle funk) and Alain Caron (jazz fusion - amazing on fretless, and a great slap player too.)

Kegs
07-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Oh yes, Stanley Clarke, now there's raw talent.

Elmeaux
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Wesley Prince.

Left the band in '41 (IIRC) when he was drafted. I actually put a line about him in one of my stories. The unsung bass player. And I wanted it that way in the dialogue...

Leon: That's good. King Cole Trio.

Riddle: The music lover.

Leon: New bass man. Other guy was called up.

Riddle: Sound any better?

Leon: 'bout the same.

This is the 1938 version of "Don't Blame Me." Wesley Prince on double bass. Oh, so subtle...no visual...just the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBR2CgqR04s

TLDTR
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I supposed it's a sign of age, but I find something more than just nostalgic about the pops and crackles on an old 33. Almost comforting... And Nat King Cole, that voice! We'll be featuring another cut of his next week in our Nate Watts interview. He was a national treasure.
Ed.

ChuckRth56
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I really like Leland Skylar. He has played for James Taylor, Carol King, Phil Collins, etc. Love his style. In fact, that's who got me to thinking about getting going on the bass again, and ultimately I purchased the TMBG series. Now...I would not mind having his bass either (Dingwall), but I think my wife might have a problem with that.