PDA

View Full Version : MESA / BOOGIE Factory trip

Ditto
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Well,

I just got back from touring the Mesa Boogie Factory in Petaluma California. It was pretty cool. I got to see everything except the wood shop...top secret stuff with the cab making process I guess. But we started off with the circuit board machine and I have to say that was awesome. They have all the boards for an amp and run them through this machine that presses all the resistors and pots and transistors into it and then they run it through a solder bath. After that they add some of the bigger components with a row of ladies doing manual soldering. Then they can break off the different sections of the board to go into separated areas of the amp..... I thought that was cool.

Then they hand assemble all the tubes and racks and put it all together. It is then tested with a oscilloscope and all the circuits are checked out. Then it gets play tested with a guitar. Then it is sent to this room and all the amps have to sit plugged in for 24 hours. The guy told me that if a tube or transistor is going to pop, it will do so in the first few hours I said "COOL"

Then it is PLAY TESTED AGAIN buy a different guy and he really rips it up. They have a specific progression that they play that covers all the tones and pitches they are looking for. I said "WAY COOL" If it passes this guys test the amp moves on and it is installed in the rack or combo.

Once it is all done and ready to ship, guess what? ................ YEA! THEY PLAY IT AGAIN with the final put it in the BOX DUDE. This guy get to play it loud! He is in a sound room and if he does not like it, IT GOES BACK! (and there were about 10 AMPS outside the room with the RED tag on em) The tech touring us around said they don't like to see that but "If it aint RIGHT WE DON'T SHIP IT!"

They make everything there on site except for the Guitar speakers that come from England, I said "Who cares about guitar?" And some of the aluminum for the foot switches are made in Santa Rosa about 30 minutes away. Everything else is made on site. The BASS Speakers are proprietary and made right there. There was this stack of 10" speakers right next to me when he was talking about them, I was like hummm **** left my back pack in the car ;) Just kidding. Even the foam for packing the amps in card board is made right there.

It is a very small factory considering the amount of amps they produce. Everyone was nice and very casual. They work a 4 10 our week and take Fridays-Sundays off, except the wood shop as he explained, wood is on its own schedule and you cannot rush wood!

Hope yo enjoyed the info

Ditto

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd476/AcesHighDitto/Bass/DSC_0045.jpg?t=1312938534

Elmeaux
08-09-2011, 09:13 PM
THANX!

What a great report! I would love to see something like that!

I don't suppose they allowed you to take any pix inside...

Ditto
08-09-2011, 11:07 PM
THANX!

What a great report! I would love to see something like that!

I don't suppose they allowed you to take any pix inside...

NOPE.

I did have my camera though

ArtLiestman
08-10-2011, 12:05 AM
That sounds like a great tour. Wish I could have been there. I wonder if this sort of play testing is common to all amp manufacturers...

Greg Jewell
08-10-2011, 11:00 PM
My Mesa Boogie and I thank you. Nothing like confirmation AFTER the sale. And I do get compliments on the warmth provided by the tube pre-amp design. Great story.

Chuck
08-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Great write up. I love The Mesa stuff I have for guitar. I will have to look ar some of their amps for bass

BillG
08-14-2011, 07:53 PM
That sounds like a great experience. It sure sounds like they are mega quality concious.
Mesa just went up several places for me after seeing how much care is taken to insure a quality product.

Thanks for a great read Ditto !

shoopdude
02-14-2012, 07:36 PM
I moved to Mesa Bass gear last year, I have an M6 head with a powerhouse 1200 cab.....
AMAZING is the best way to describe the sound and tone!!!!!
I can't recommend Mesa enough....I know they are expensive but it is money well spent I assure you.

Elmeaux
02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I moved to Mesa Bass gear last year, I have an M6 head with a powerhouse 1200 cab.....
AMAZING is the best way to describe the sound and tone!!!!!
I can't recommend Mesa enough....I know they are expensive but it is money well spent I assure you.

Pix? Videos? We love heavy-duty gear!

Ditto
02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Saw that this thread was up and wow talk about an oldie!

Nice Shoop. I did not go that big, and went with a combo as I had not planned on moving it at the time. Now I widh I had got seperate head and cab.

OK I will make a video