PDA

View Full Version : Five Rock Bassists Who Steal the Show

bronsonelliott
08-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Interesting article:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/uponsun/2011/08/five_underrated_unconventional.php

Elmeaux
08-25-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't even know who any of those guys are. I think it's a generational thing.

I do like the video from the Death From Above 1979 guy though. Very interesting sound.

:cool:

KGT
08-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Generational? Maybe. But I've never heard my kids mention any of these groups either. Volume and distortion just don't do it for me, although they do allow mistakes to be less noticeable. I hope these bands are using some kind of hearing protection - those volume levels are a one-way ticket to early retirement from the music scene due to permanent hearing loss.

bronsonelliott
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't even know who any of those guys are. I think it's a generational thing.

I do like the video from the Death From Above 1979 guy though. Very interesting sound.

:cool:

I LOVE Death From Above 1979. Amazing the sounds that guy makes! Amazing how much sound 2 guys can make!

stantonl
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Mike Watt should be at the top of this list in my opinion! I once saw him pull off an entire set, solo, when his backing band was a no show. I've seen him live many times and he never fails to amaze me.

Elmeaux
08-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I LOVE Death From Above 1979. Amazing the sounds that guy makes! Amazing how much sound 2 guys can make!

The only problem was the quality of the video. The sound would be better on an album recording. The video made me want to run along to Napster and have a listen. Sounds like a weekend!

:)

Ditto
08-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Blehccc or yuk or just plain no.

Give me Geddy Lee any day.

Call me old and that's ok.

When I hear him it makes me want to play.

But when I heard that, well I just had t go.