PDA

View Full Version : Trying to write my first song. Any help/ideas?

TroyJames
08-29-2011, 12:06 AM
http://youtu.be/MwC7gbWlXVg

New to making up songs and music in general. Any ideas, pointer, etc?

Also, be careful on the volume at the beginning and end of the video. I made the camera screech kinda loud.

Bruce Alan
08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Your question in the video regarding recording layer upon layer is exactly how I used to do recording until I could start building my recording rig. I did have the advantage of working in a radio station at the time, so I had access to DAT machines. But I would do exactly as you ask about: record one part on the first DAT, play it and my next part into the second DAT, play that next recording and a third part into the first DAT, and so on until I had a song.

Granted, you will find the older various take become, the more they degrade. But for the purposes of writing, this is a quick and simple approach. As you become more hooked into all this, you may find yourself looking into better multi-track recording methods that are really inexpensive these days compared to 20-30 years ago.

Elmeaux
08-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Bruce's advice is what I would have said, too, except that I never used tapes.

I used to lay down individual tracks to the computer and then load them all together in Adobe Audition.

TroyJames
08-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Coll, thanks guys. This is all pretty daunting but fun.

Elmeaux
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Coll, thanks guys. This is all pretty daunting but fun.

BTW...you're getting really good with chords.

TroyJames
08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Thank you Elmeaux. I'm feeling pretty confident with the triad stuff (Thanks to Roy). Mostly, after doing my stretches, warmups, scales, and trying to sightread:confused:, I just do alot of noodling around to see what kind of sounds I like.

TroyJames
09-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Tried to record multiple layers today, sounded horrible. I learned what not to do!

Elmeaux
09-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Tried to record multiple layers today, sounded horrible. I learned what not to do!

You need one of them there Korg SOS thingies...

TroyJames
09-02-2011, 04:07 PM
You need one of them there Korg SOS thingies...

I saw that. It looked like a great idea.