PDA

View Full Version : Not a beginner, but I play like one on bass

fuadramses
08-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Admittedly, I’m posting not only to introduce myself, but also to keep whittling away at those five posts I need to get access to all of Elmeaux’s great fret memorization tools in a different thread.

Anyway, I’ve been playing guitar and bass off and on for more than 20 years (frightening), but my skills are hugely limited. I can pick out tunes really well, play my favorite songs, etc., but I still don’t feel like I know what I’m doing. I’m embarrassed to tell people that I’ve “played” for twenty years…when they actually hear me, they’ll think I’ve been playing for 20 days.

Anyway, I decided I really wanted to do this right, so here I am. I admit to being completely intimidated by reading music and memorizing the fretboard. I started lesson two last night and it scared the hell out of me, so I’m going to try to familiarize myself a little more with the fretboard. I will not let this intimidate me this time!

Thanks for the support from everyone on here – I’m sure you’ll be hearing from me again.

Bassix
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Welcome to Thunder Row, Fuadramses!

Feel free to jump in on the conversations and I hope you enjoy the course!

Elmeaux
08-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Keep posting, Fuad. Lots of great threads to comment on!

:cool:

fuadramses
08-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Bassix - I have to say, even though I'm only one lesson in, I've already un-learned some bad habits. Choosing this course was definitely the right choice, and I'm glad to be here.

As soon as I break through my fretboard phobia, I think I'll be on my way...thanks for the support!

BrianVW
08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Hey, Fuad -- glad to see you here!

DONNIE B
08-30-2011, 08:26 PM
fuad glad to have you on the row .don;t let it intermediate you .there are A Lot of great people here.Any time you need help just ask. I F one dosn;t know more than likely some one else will know . so just relax and enjoy the lessons and the people. and have fun.:cool:NICE to meet you and agin welcome

BillG
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Good to have you aboard. The learning fret/notes is hard but will become second nature if you work at it.

I found it helpful to remember its just a small piece of the alphabet. ABCDEFG. Keep in mind that all notes are followed by a sharp going up the scale ( except B to C and E to F ) . Just start out playing the notes one by one and saying the note out loud as you do. Going down each note except C to B and F to E are followed by a flat.

Copy a fretboard pic and write the notes in yourself...even if you have to peek to be sure they are right. It will take less time than you think.

Best of luck

I think it was Henry Ford that said 'the harder I work the luckier I get'

SilverFlame46
08-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Welcome, Fuadramses. Glade to have you aboard!!!

fuadramses
08-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks everybody for the advice. I've actually got it down pretty well on paper, but it seems like when I actually pick up the bass, all of the knowledge goes away. Kind of like how you study for a test, you know the answers, but when you get in to take it, you freeze up. And I think starting lesson 2 made me realize that it was still a bit of a hurdle.

But I'm in for the long haul. Thanks again!

ArtLiestman
08-31-2011, 10:41 AM
We're all in this together, F. Glad to have you aboard.

Bassix
08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
I've actually got it down pretty well on paper, but it seems like when I actually pick up the bass, all of the knowledge goes away.

The key for me was to just go as slowly as needed to say and pluck the note. I didn't even use a metronome on fretboard memorization exercises until I felt like I knew what I was doing and was recognizing patterns (one fewer thing to worry about). Once you do recognize those patterns, you're home free! :)

TroyJames
08-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks everybody for the advice. I've actually got it down pretty well on paper, but it seems like when I actually pick up the bass, all of the knowledge goes away. Kind of like how you study for a test, you know the answers, but when you get in to take it, you freeze up. And I think starting lesson 2 made me realize that it was still a bit of a hurdle.

But I'm in for the long haul. Thanks again!

It's all about the journey :D
Proud to meet ya!

pilmat
08-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Come on in, take off your shoes and sit a spell. We're here for a good time AND a long time! The crew here is friendly and helpful, with a good sense of humour. But the best part is that we are patient and understanding with each other.

So take your time and join in the conversations, I learn every day!

Elmeaux
08-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Come on in, take off your shoes and sit a spell. We're here for a good time AND a long time! The crew here is friendly and helpful, with a good sense of humour. But the best part is that we are patient and understanding with each other.

So take your time and join in the conversations, I learn every day!

I second that emotion!!

:D

Mutineer
09-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Welcome to a fellow new guy!