PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Think So??

line6bassman
09-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I've got a question. I'm in a move right now from my music building in the yard to the big room that you saw in band video to have a bigger place for the band and I was going
through all my bass etc related items and came across this, Bass Guitar Magazines
THE TOP 40 BASSLINES EVER! Just want to start a little discussion here if my fellow
basses agree. I Don't Think So..... Never heard of the number 1 one before I was kinda shocked by it with all the great simple riffs bass lines there ever was. So lets just see
what you think. I put a youtube of the number one here and here's the top 5. OH, and Elmo I know you think it should be Roger but hey!!! What do they know?

1. Peaches - The Stranglers
2. *** Machine - James Brown
3. Stanley Clarke - School Days
4. Chic - Good Times
5. Pink Floyd - Money

Line6bassman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aI9k06dGpg

I actually arta end this thread I HATE THIS SONG.............................................. .......................I rate it at - 5,000,000,000,000,000 whatever number that is................................................ ...........

Elmeaux
09-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Best in the world? Too many to name...

Money
Billie Jean
Smoke On The Water
Dance To The Music
Every 1's a Winner
Frankenstein
Dazed and Confused
etc
etc
etc

:cool:

TobiasMan
09-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I agree with you on that one L6!

Clearly not something that I'd rate as one of the top basslines, let alone the top baseline! :(

There are so very many that are so much better!!!!!

Elmeaux
09-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Speaking of great bass lines...anybody remember this?

Fantastic growling bottom end!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBPjRp81fo

BrianVW
09-04-2011, 07:44 PM
WOW...I bought this 45 way back when!

Bassix
09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Sorry. There is nothing compelling in or about that Stranglers bassline.

Elmeaux,

Never heard Troglodyte before...interesting bassline (and lyrics :D)!

The bassline in the song below has been labeled "the world's prettiest bassline". That's going too far, imho, but it is very melodic and sounds extremely challenging.

The song starts about 11 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-iW51idC0

line6bassman
09-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Speaking of great bass lines...anybody remember this?

Fantastic growling bottom end!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBPjRp81fo

Ya, I remember that.

line6bassman
09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Sorry. There is nothing compelling in or about that Stranglers bassline.

Elmeaux,

Never heard Troglodyte before...interesting bassline (and lyrics :D)!

The bassline in the song below has been labeled "the world's prettiest bassline". That's going too far, imho, but it is very melodic and sounds extremely challenging.

The song starts about 11 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-iW51idC0

The greatest thing about James was, playing with one finger.

I can't believe Roy Vogt tried to stop me from playing with one finger. HE!!HE!!

Line6bassman

PS. On the Stranglers thing, I think I'll go strangle myself if I ever listen to it again.

TroyJames
09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Well thank you for posting that "cave man" song. Haven't ever heard that one before. Wow what a blast to play. Matter of fact, I'm gonna go play it again right now.

Elmeaux
09-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Well thank you for posting that "cave man" song. Haven't ever heard that one before. Wow what a blast to play. Matter of fact, I'm gonna go play it again right now.

'tis indeed a blast. It's a bit fast for me, finger-style. I have to play it with a pick and make some improv modifications for the old and feeble-handed.

:p

TroyJames
09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Funny you say that because I was playing it fingerstyle but wasn't liking the sound so much so picked up a pick for the first time and what a big difference. Kinda liking this pick deal. This song sure does make my arm sore though by the end of the song!

What improvs are you making? I am play the song by sliding from the F to the G and then on that little part he plays sometimes I'm playing it as Bb-C-Bb-G then start the sliding thing from F back to G again.

Elmeaux
09-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Funny you say that because I was playing it fingerstyle but wasn't liking the sound so much so picked up a pick for the first time and what a big difference. Kinda liking this pick deal. This song sure does make my arm sore though by the end of the song!

What improvs are you making? I am play the song by sliding from the F to the G and then on that little part he plays sometimes I'm playing it as Bb-C-Bb-G then start the sliding thing from F back to G again.

I improv the rhythm, not the notes. I try to keep the notes in place - I just play a slightly easier "chug" than the one in the song. Not quite as rapid-fire. I also run it through the Overdrive feature. Hard distortion!

What kind of pick do you use? I use the 5mm hard wedgie...

TroyJames
09-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Ah ok. The pick the guy gave me when I bought the bass. It says 1.52 mm Clayton USA.

thunderman
09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
There are a lot of great bass lines. Some of which are supremely simple: A couple of these:

My Girl
Another One Bites the Dust
Lady Madonna

And a few not-so-simple, but beautiful:

Penny Lane
Superstitious
Lots more...

Elmeaux
09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Another One Bites the Dust

YES!!

:cool::cool: