PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Michigan

billostech
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Good day everyone. I finally made it here. Long time coming.

I remember taking guitar lessons when I was in the 5th grade, playing chords over and over. One day, Lynn, a bassist from one of the local talents in the area, who just happened to pass by while I was practicing, asked me to try the bass.

Years later, when I was 16, Lynn of the band, ShoNuff, approached me again so I went over his place and learned how to "keep it in the pocket".

I got with a buddy of mine whose father had a Blues band and we would jam on his pop’s equipment. He pounded the drums and I would keep up with his father's bass. When I got David's part down in "I'll Take You There', I was really hooked.

I finally picked up interest again when I turned 50. My daughters are musicians and my oldest at home asked me to accompany her on bass while she played guitar. I fell in love with the bass again.

I answered an add on Craig's list for a bass player and joined the band for a while. One day we were practicing when I noticed everyone's head bob up and down to the movement of my fingers. I stopped playing for a couple of seconds and the spectators stopped bobbing. That's when I first realized the true brilliance of the bass.

I consider myself a beginner and am anxious to learn from you all.

thunderman
09-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Hello, Michgan! Welcome to the Row. You're in great company (there are a lot of us "people with life experience" in the neighborhood). Look forward to hearing about your progress. Do your daughters both play guitar?

Elmeaux
09-09-2011, 04:14 PM
One day we were practicing when I noticed everyone's head bob up and down to the movement of my fingers. I stopped playing for a couple of seconds and the spectators stopped bobbing. That's when I first realized the true brilliance of the bass.

That'll do it.

Welcome aboard!! Good luck with your lessons! Don't forget to enter the draw for free DR strings!

http://www.thunderrow.com/content.php?922-Is-There-a-DR-In-the-House

Russell K Shores
09-09-2011, 04:39 PM
glad your here ,

SilverFlame46
09-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Welcome, billostech. Happy to have you join us!!!

Brad.S
09-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Welcome mate, I love the bass for that very reason you do.

billostech
09-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Hello, Michgan! Welcome to the Row. You're in great company (there are a lot of us "people with life experience" in the neighborhood). Look forward to hearing about your progress. Do your daughters both play guitar?

Thunderman,
My oldest daughter plays guitar and my youngest plays keys (Roland Workstation).
Both play piano and sing. They are in the high school symphony band: trombone / clarinet respectively.
They are starting another band this year at their high school, since my youngest has joined her sister there.
Sorry about the rant, just picking shirt buttons off the floor.:o

billostech
09-10-2011, 07:31 AM
That'll do it.

Welcome aboard!! Good luck with your lessons! Don't forget to enter the draw for free DR strings!

Thanks Elmeaux,
I am looking forward to taking the lessons. I have only heard great things about TMBG.

billostech
09-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Welcome mate, I love the bass for that very reason you do.

Thanks Brad. The bass is awesome !!!

billostech
09-10-2011, 07:33 AM
I want to thank all you for your warm welcome.

DONNIE B
09-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the ROW.well billostech. you have come to the place to be to learn bass. all of the people here ar really great ; i know you will have fun here .check out the forum and have fun and welcome

billostech
09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the ROW.well billostech. you have come to the place to be to learn bass. all of the people here ar really great ; i know you will have fun here .check out the forum and have fun and welcome

Thanks Donnie B. I have started the first part of the first lesson. My head is exploding learning the location of notes on the fretboard.
It's coming together though...slowly.
BEADGCF (BEAD Guitar Center Forever) LOL