PDA

View Full Version : Hello from bass noob

Pale Rider
09-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Hello - first post here. I've mostly played guitar up to this point but have always been fascinated by the bass, so I've recently purchased and am anxiously awaiting a new Squier Vintage Modified J-bass and an Acoustic B-20 as a starter set. Should have everything tomorrow and I am psyched!

While I know there's no wrong way to play, I feel that since I'm coming from the guitar I really want to try as much as possible to avoid learning how to play bass with a pick, at least in the beginnng. I'm afraid if I start using a pick right off the bat then it's going to be difficult to put it down and learn proper finger technique. Once I learn some good finger technique then I'll give it a go with the pick. Is there any truth to my hypothesis? Anyway, thanks for listening.

line6bassman
09-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Hello - first post here. I've mostly played guitar up to this point but have always been fascinated by the bass, so I've recently purchased and am anxiously awaiting a new Squier Vintage Modified J-bass and an Acoustic B-20 as a starter set. Should have everything tomorrow and I am psyched!

While I know there's no wrong way to play, I feel that since I'm coming from the guitar I really want to try as much as possible to avoid learning how to play bass with a pick, at least in the beginnng. I'm afraid if I start using a pick right off the bat then it's going to be difficult to put it down and learn proper finger technique. Once I learn some good finger technique then I'll give it a go with the pick. Is there any truth to my hypothesis? Anyway, thanks for listening.

Welcome to TR Pale Rider!!!

Line6bassman

ArtLiestman
09-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Welcome, Pale Rider. You'll find that the forum is a friendly and useful place. As for picking or not, it's always good to have options.

DONNIE B
09-22-2011, 10:39 PM
welcome pail rider you have come to the right place. the first two lessons will cover finger plucking.and fte fret board among other things . there a lot guitar players here , all the people here are all very helpful.need help just ask . the blogs are ful of useful stuff .it is just a great place to learn and hang out and have fun . so welcome

Pale Rider
09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

SilverFlame46
09-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Welcome, Pale Rider. It is my opinion you would benefit in the long run by learning the proper finger technique at the beginning. You didn't say you purchased the TMBG Course but if you did Roy will be teaching finger technique first and then with a pick very soon after that. If you have not purchased the TMBG Course I highly recommend that you do as it will benefit not only the very beginner but the advanced bass guitar player as well. Good luck and have FUN!!!