PDA

View Full Version : Another New Guy

nolasafari
09-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Learning the play the bass is one of my bucket list items so that is what I am going to do. The wife wanted to learn a piano so she got a piano for Christmas and I got an electric bass which has grown to 4 and a upright. I have taken a few lessons and have plenty of books, made some progress but I am all over the place. I found the TMBG course on Youtube and it caught my attention. I hope the course will give the much needed direction to advance further down the line. It really is fun to learn when you have no pressure on you. I am now waiting for my course to arrive so I can get into the secret secret area.

Jim

SilverFlame46
09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Welcome, Jim. You made the right choice by purchasing the TMBG course. Glade to have you aboard!!!

barricwiley
09-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Welcome indeed!

TLDTR
09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the Row! You're going to love your TMBG! (Guaranteed!)

nolasafari
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Welcome, Jim. You made the right choice by purchasing the TMBG course. Glade to have you aboard!!!

Thank you I can't wait to get started.

Jim

nolasafari
09-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the Row! You're going to love your TMBG! (Guaranteed!)

I looked all the videos I could find and did a search for reviews and did not find one bad one.

Jim

nolasafari
09-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Welcome indeed!

Thank You very much.

Elmeaux
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Don't forget to enter the special code from inside your TMBG package, Jim. It opens up all areas of the forum to you!

...and welcome aboard!

ArtLiestman
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Welcome, Jim. I think you'll like it here.

nolasafari
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Don't forget to enter the special code from inside your TMBG package, Jim. It opens up all areas of the forum to you!

...and welcome aboard!

Elmeaux, I will be sure too, just ordered the course, hope to have by this week end. Thanks for the welcome.

Jim

nolasafari
09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Welcome, Jim. I think you'll like it here.

Thank you, I lurked around a bit before joining, I really liked what I saw, a good group with a sense of humor. I now have a few jokes to share with my wife.

Jim

TroyJames
09-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi Jim, welcome to here. I'm still a newb myself to bass/music but this course has been outstanding.

line6bassman
09-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Welcome new guy!! (Jim) nolasafari!! Hey by the way what does the nola in your user name mean if you don't mind me asking?

Line6bassman

nolasafari
09-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi Jim, welcome to here. I'm still a newb myself to bass/music but this course has been outstanding.

Troy, that is good to hear and thanks for the welcome.

Jim

DONNIE B
09-28-2011, 01:39 PM
welcome to the row. this is the place to be every one is very helpful. the forum is great as well as the blogs . it is fun to learn here . so get ready to have fun . and again welcome

nolasafari
09-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Welcome new guy!! (Jim) nolasafari!! Hey by the way what does the nola in your user name mean if you don't mind me asking?

Line6bassman

I don't mind you asking but I already know you know what it means. For those who may not know it means New Orleans, Louisiana. I ask the moderators to forward you a PM as I had a question about your Variax 500, I picked up a used Variax 400 from the San Antonio GC, I had it shipped to my home. The Bass is as new still has the plastic cover on the pick guard, I was very lucky. It came with the breakout box but without a power supply, I assume it is 9 volt like the battery pack can you verify the voltage and amps ?

I live in Algiers and work downtown near the dome. I read your post about doing a gig at Southern Yacht Club ( I Assume) playing Mexican music, what bands do you play in? I bet I have seen you play.

As I stated the Bass is a bucket list item and I am just trying to learn how to play to have some fun, I have no plans to ever leave my living room with it.

Here is a video I shot of my friend Lil Red from last year, you may know Nancy. Also a good time to see if I can embed video.

http://vimeo.com/15940492

BTW for everyone else New Orleans is also known as the Crescent City (Due to the bend in the river) hence the banner in the background.

Jim

nolasafari
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
welcome to the row. this is the place to be every one is very helpful. the forum is great as well as the blogs . it is fun to learn here . so get ready to have fun . and again welcome

Donnie thanks, I hope to have some fun and get some direction. I have been all over the place and just spinning my wheels, Thunder Row sure seems like the place to figure it all out.

Jim

SilverFlame46
09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Jim, I love New Orleans. Been there several times!!!

Bruce Alan
09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Welcome aboard, Jim!

nolasafari
09-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Welcome aboard, Jim!

Thank you very much Bruce. I am having a great time reading the previous posts while I wait for my activation key for the secret secret area.

Jim

line6bassman
09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't mind you asking but I already know you know what it means. For those who may not know it means New Orleans, Louisiana. I ask the moderators to forward you a PM as I had a question about your Variax 500, I picked up a used Variax 400 from the San Antonio GC, I had it shipped to my home. The Bass is as new still has the plastic cover on the pick guard, I was very lucky. It came with the breakout box but without a power supply, I assume it is 9 volt like the battery pack can you verify the voltage and amps ?

I live in Algiers and work downtown near the dome. I read your post about doing a gig at Southern Yacht Club ( I Assume) playing Mexican music, what bands do you play in? I bet I have seen you play.

As I stated the Bass is a bucket list item and I am just trying to learn how to play to have some fun, I have no plans to ever leave my living room with it.

Here is a video I shot of my friend Lil Red from last year, you may know Nancy. Also a good time to see if I can embed video.

http://vimeo.com/15940492

BTW for everyone else New Orleans is also known as the Crescent City (Due to the bend in the river) hence the banner in the background.

Jim

HERE'S THE INFO OFF THE ADAPTER (ELECTRIC PLUG)

LINE6
PART NO. 11-32-0000
MODEL:MW48-0902000A
INPUT:120V AC 60Hz/OUTPUT:9V AC 2000mA

Line6bassman

nolasafari
09-28-2011, 07:12 PM
HERE'S THE INFO OFF THE ADAPTER (ELECTRIC PLUG)

LINE6
PART NO. 11-32-0000
MODEL:MW48-0902000A
INPUT:120V AC 60Hz/OUTPUT:9V AC 2000mA

Line6bassman

Thank you, I bet I have one in my wall wart collection.

Jim

line6bassman
09-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Thank you, I bet I have one in my wall wart collection.

Jim

No problem on the info. Well what do you think about the Line6 bass?
Also we like to see pictures of peoples basses around here if you can.
What color did you get? The Black Pearl or Sunburst? Mine's the Black Pearl one.
I also just took my paper off the pick guard not long too. Here's a surprise also
we now have two people here with line6 basses, and guess what my first name is???
Can't guess, it's JIM ALSO!!! GO FIGURE !!! I'LL LET YOU KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT MY
BIO SHORTLY GOT TO RUN FOR A LITTLE BIT JIM JIM.

Line6bassman

nolasafari
09-28-2011, 08:55 PM
No problem on the info. Well what do you think about the Line6 bass?
Also we like to see pictures of peoples basses around here if you can.
What color did you get? The Black Pearl or Sunburst? Mine's the Black Pearl one.
I also just took my paper off the pick guard not long too. Here's a surprise also
we now have two people here with line6 basses, and guess what my first name is???
Can't guess, it's JIM ALSO!!! GO FIGURE !!! I'LL LET YOU KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT MY
BIO SHORTLY GOT TO RUN FOR A LITTLE BIT JIM JIM.

Line6bassman

I really like the bass, it would be better if I knew how to play it, but that is why I am here.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Uu-nP7_OpdI/ToPOOOAdD0I/AAAAAAAABto/Ht4euLAfYPo/s400/DSC_2721.JPG

Jim

line6bassman
09-28-2011, 09:10 PM
I really like the bass, it would be better if I knew how to play it, but that is why I am here.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Uu-nP7_OpdI/ToPOOOAdD0I/AAAAAAAABto/Ht4euLAfYPo/s400/DSC_2721.JPG

Jim

Hey same as mine cool!! I used to play an upright but we have a line6, it has a 49 Kay
upright on it, the same exact that I used to play!! Their nice but a killer to haul around with you. OH and my finger would start to almost bleed. And you can change the mic distance on it like your micing it etc ready to play country, jazz their never know the difference!!

Line6bassman

nolasafari
09-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Hey same as mine cool!! I used to play an upright but we have a line6, it has a 49 Kay
upright on it, the same exact that I used to play!! Their nice but a killer to haul around with you. OH and my finger would start to almost bleed. And you can change the mic distance on it like your micing it etc ready to play country, jazz their never know the difference!!

Line6bassman

I love the line6 and haven't even begun to explore the options it has. I figured out what it was while watching Paul Wolfe on YouTube, someone asked him why his bass had no pickups and he said it was a modeling bass but did not give up the make or model. I was intrigued so figured out what he had. I read the reviews and found one and jumped on it, I was lucky it was in such good shape.

The upright bass was in response to my wife, I bought her a piano for Christmas and she said now we need an upright bass to make the room complete, so I had to comply with her wishes. I took lessons for a while from Wally Kay but he wanted me to bring my bass to every lesson and he had 16 or them sitting in his home, that got old real quick, besides he kept trying to get me to bow the thing, I don't have enough time left on earth to learn to bow an upright. What you don't see in the picture is the finger board on the upright has all the notes taped out. Wally told me that wasn't the way to learn. I don't know how others learn but I figured that I would learn the way the note sounded and the proper place on the finger board a lot quicker if I knew where it was at. Heck I just want to play for fun anyway.

The real reason I bought the line6 is because it matches my dog.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iwNrCwe0954/ToPc-3yhvTI/AAAAAAAABtw/rc7aiOgM8hA/s400/DSC_2725.JPG

Jim

Elmeaux
09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
The real reason I bought the line6 is because it matches my dog.

LOL.

:D:D:D

You fit right in, Jim!

nolasafari
09-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Welcome aboard, Jim!

Bruce, thank you for the welcome.

TobiasMan
09-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Welcome Jim.

Very nice blues band (I assume that little Red is the singer).

I tried the upright (a double bass) at University years ago. Just too hard on my hands!

There is something uber cool about an upright though - good luck with that.

line6bassman
09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
LOL.

:D:D:D

You fit right in, Jim!

This is weird, I had a dog just like that???

Line6bassman