PDA

View Full Version : Bass Place Rookie

Greg Jewell
07-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Just wanted to say hello to the TMBG veterans.

I'm new to the site and relatively new to bass guitar. My guess is that most guys don't pick up a bass in their late fifties, but I've got this bucket-list thing working. If I can learn to put together respectable quarter note bass lines and back up some jazz and blues musicians, I'll be the happiest guy on the planet.

I wish you well, keep the faith, and love your bass.

Greg

TobiasMan
07-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Welcome Greg,

It's never too late and Roy's TMBG is one of the best tools available to develop those skills.:D

What kind of gear do you have? Have you made progress through the lessons?

Elmeaux
07-18-2010, 05:16 PM
If I can learn to put together respectable quarter note bass lines and back up some jazz and blues musicians, I'll be the happiest guy on the planet.

Fabulous post!! I wish you all the best on your journey to the bottom of the note!!

Greg Jewell
07-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Welcome Greg,

It's never too late and Roy's TMBG is one of the best tools available to develop those skills.:D

What kind of gear do you have? Have you made progress through the lessons?

I'm playing a Gold Tone acoustic bass I bought about a year ago, and will be picking up an electric bass later this month.
Everything plugs into a used Dean Markley KAC-60 (discontinued), that I traded for a fish dinner at King's in Huntington Beach. I'm thinking about an Ampeg something to get more of an upright bass sound. Any suggestions?

Greg

Greg Jewell
07-18-2010, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=TobiasMan;1327]Welcome Greg,

What kind of gear do you have? TE] Have you made progress through the lessons?[/QUO

Follow-up:

Progress report...
TMBG is better than expected. I've taken bassist see- bassist do lessons, and even lessons from a classical guitar player, but the first didn't underwstand music theory and the second couldn't relate to bass. Roy does both from lesson one. So I've learned more in 3 lessons, than I have in the past 12 months of on and off lessons. Worling on the improv part of lesson 3.

Greg

SilverFlame46
07-18-2010, 06:58 PM
My guess is that most guys don't pick up a bass in their late fifties, but I've got this bucket-list thing working. If I can learn to put together respectable quarter note bass lines and back up some jazz and blues musicians, I'll be the happiest guy on the planet.Greg

Welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Greg. Well, I am one of those guys you refer to. However, I am a little older than you and I bought my first Bass Guitar in Sept of '09. I just started lesson 4 this past week and I am now able to play along with my friends even if it is just quarter notes or a pedal note and I am loving every minute of it.!!!:D

coachkip
07-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Welcome Greg and I am happy to hear of your quick success. With both the tools you have (Teach Me Bass Guitar and Thunder Row) you have found the right place. If you need anything just let the members know and they can give you a quick answer. Who knows even Roy is found lurking here from time to time.

Elmeaux
07-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Who knows even Roy is found lurking here from time to time.

It just dawned on me...why do we never see Roy and Ralph in the same room at the same time...?

:p

TLDTR
07-19-2010, 10:23 AM
We've often wondered the same thing. I suspect the fact that Ralph is always correcting Roy may have something to do with it...
Just a thought.
Ed

stantonl
07-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Welcome to it Greg. Enjoy!

JMilly
07-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh what up Greg!?

Welcome, and personally I think anyone who picks up the bass is cool as a frozen bag of peas brother!

I would like to hear how the lessons progress for you throughout your endeavors.

Elmeaux
07-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Amen! When I see a band, I look for the bass player first of all. The heartbeat of the music.

SilverFlame46
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm with you, Elmeaux! From a small band at local entertainment to a big name star concert, I am always watching the bass player to see what they are doing. Can't take my eyes off of them!!!

Kegs
07-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi Greg,
hearty congratulations and welcome to the Thunder Row ensemble. Good luck with it all.......Kegs.