PDA

View Full Version : Fingerpads or Fingertips?

rmiddle
11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Which do you use? I took guitar lessons a long time age and obviously with chords, you have to use fingertips. But I'm finding that sine I started to play bass, I'm watching the bass player in everything I see, and it looks to me like most of them are using fingerpads. I play a song that requires two beats on the open D string then to play 4 G beats. I'm trying to do fingerpads because I can then mute the open D, which I like. Any suggestions on converting to fingerpads (if this is the correct way to play) besides a lot of practice? Anything would be helpful.

Gypsy56
11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't know if it's the 'correct' procedure, but I use my pads, I just find (for me) it's a more comfortable playing position.:)

Elmeaux
11-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Mostly, I use my finger pads...just kind of rub my fingers over the strings as if I'm trying to wipe something off.

But there are other ways, too. Sometimes I pluck the strings upward (hooked from underneath) to get a sharp twang, and sometimes I use a pick.

I think it'll come down to what's comfiest for you.

TroyJames
11-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I use my finger pads. When I first started I was using more of my finger tips and the sound was harsh. Now since I've started using more of the pads, I can get a much lighter and controlled touch on the strings.

rmiddle
11-21-2011, 03:02 PM
I know tips are sometimes ok because you really have no other choice, but I'm with Troy on this one. Sometimes it just doesn't sound smooth -if that's the right word. I'm trying to use pads and apply apressure light enough to play the note and when I do, it sounds incredible.

SilverFlame46
11-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Pads are what I use. I just find it more comfortable!!!

TobiasMan
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
On my fretting hand, pads all the time - it it a whole lot less painful on your fingers. On my picking hand, like Elmeaux, it is mostly finger pads, in a more or less "wiping" motion across the string, unless I'm really digging in and want a sharper, more percussive sound.